Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 6:20:28 AM EDT
Will be going to training next month if the Gov does not shut down and I started thinking about items I might need and I remembered that the last academy I was at we where given the cheap ear pro and I did not like them. I'm wanting something I don't have to take out/off every time someone starts to talk also I don't really want the ear muffs I'm going to be in NM in the summer it's going to be hot enough also I have found the ear muff ones for me get in the way when I have to fire the rifle that we are also going to be trained on.

So if anyone can help please do I don't want to go through a few weeks with cheap ear pro again! Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I use the Surefire ear pro.  They run $13/pair in the Dillon catalog, and have three different sizes like the military issues.  What I like about them is they can be set so you can still hear what is going on around you, and get some protection from gunshots or they can be closed off to block as much as possible.  Relatively comfortable, too if you get the right size.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I use the Surefire ear pro.  They run $13/pair in the Dillon catalog, and have three different sizes like the military issues.  What I like about them is they can be set so you can still hear what is going on around you, and get some protection from gunshots or they can be closed off to block as much as possible.  Relatively comfortable, too if you get the right size.

Thanks I have been looking at them! It's nice to hear a AR15.com review on them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I can't reccomend these strongly enough. It's nice to be able to somewhat carry on a conversation, and not worry about going deaf if
there's a boom or twenty.

Comfortable, cheap, and they work.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Another +1 for the Surefire- comfortable, effective, and you won't cry if they get lost.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can still get a solid cheekweld, i highly recommend spending $160 on a quality pair of peltor earmuffs. I hear much BETTER with them on then off and they really do a terrific job of muffling loud gunshots. They are comfortable and durable and work great.

The only downside, or really the only caution that i have to advise you of, is that they are so comfortable and the audio in them is so good, that if you shoot outdoors in the heat and humidity for 5-8 hrs at a time, you will neglect to take them off while you're reloading, taking a water break, bullshitting, ect. I would leave them on for 6-8 hrs at a time in the heat and while the rest of my body was sweating, apparently my head and earholes were sweating too. If you ears are trapped in the muffs for a long time the humidity will build up and you can get an ear infection.

I got a minor one that was fixed with 2 days worth of ear drops and cleaning out the inside of the foam pads.

so yeah, basically wearing peltors is better than your real ears and you have to make sure that you take them off for 10 minutes every 2 hrs or your earholes will try to grow gills...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top