Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2002 8:56:07 AM EDT
Time to buy new duty gear, belt and all. I've been looking at Bianchi's Accumold gear. I like the way it looks, from a catalogue perspective at least. I'm concerned about the retention holster available in the Accumold brand. I carry a S/W Performance Center 40 cal. with 5 inch barrel.
Does anyone carry this gear or have heard anything about it?
Thanks!

TroDog  
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#1]
TroDog
My department has been using Accumold for about 2 years now. It is much better than any other nylon gear I have used (including Bianchi's own older gear). The molding makes for sharp looking gear, and the roll back tops on the pouches makes accessing your gear easier. The only thing we issue that isn't Bianchi is the belt keepers. We use Uncle Mikes because the black doesn't wear off of the snaps like Bianchi's does. We issue the level 2 Defender holster and it is secure against bounce out with the thumb break unsnapped and rear grabs. If you are looking for more security they have a new level 3 holster we are considering the Speedlok. It has the same features as the Defender plus a lever actuated locking arm that automatically secures when you reholster. I would stay away from the slidelok retention holster though. It is one of those push here-pull there-twist and pop contraptions that feels unnatural to use.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
ditto on what underdog said, accumold keepers suck, and the only problem i had besides that were the holsters are not as secure as uncle mike's , although they look really cool!! the holster problem was discovered when i took a bad spill during police bike training at schoolcraft college.  my gun went about ten feet farther than i did.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Guys remember,

Most cops are killed by their own weapon.  I will only carry the best and we know it's a level 3 Safariland.  Your gonna pay big bucks for the Safariland but it's darn well worth it, hell I claim every expendature at the end of the year anyway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Safariland holsters come in a nylon look finish.  As for the rest of the gear Bianchi Accumold is the best nylon available.  I've been using it for about 3 1/2 years.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Safariland Holsters are by far the best. I used a level 3 for several years and just upgraded to the new Level three SLS "hood" system. It takes some getting used to but once up to speed it is secure and works well. I almost went to the level 4 system, but decided on the 3. Its a good system and helps to reaffirm that little voice in my head that says,  I will never be shot with my own gun!"
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I personally have a problem with the SSIII holster from a tactical stand point. The recent U.C.R. data, that our department has, released from the F.B.I., on police officers killed showed that of the officers killed with firearms, 30% were killed by their own handguns.
This is still a very high number, and needs to be addressed in training. However, I don’t believe that the holster is the culprit. When you need your handgun out, under attack,  you don’t need to be unsnapping multiple, twisting directional, bending and pulling just to get your handgun out, and then consider doing all that with your non-primary shooting hand, with an injury, under attack!    
I posted an earlier comment on the SSIII holster, please keep in mind that was from my stand point only as veteran officer working in the South Florida area.

I appreciate the input on the Bianchi Accumold gear. For nylon duty gear I thought that Bianchi looked the best.

You all take good care!

TroDog

Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a veteran officer, 19 years. The Safariland 070 (SSIII) is a life saver. It is not difficult to use, you just have to practice some with it. In '94 at Glock's 3 day transition course, I took a brand new SSIII. Everyone else in the class had either Safariland break front (295 I think) or Phoenix holsters by G&G. By day 2 I consistently outdrew them by timer.
One of my men, who took his life last year in great part due to the following incident, had his life saved by the SSIII.
The southern portion of my county is a peninsula and at that time was difficult to access. The issue pistol was a Beretta 92D slickslide. The issue holster was the Safariland Topgun, a level 1 retention holster. He had purchased his own SSIII. He answered a call about a nude man. The guy was high on drugs, and attacked the deputy. They fought for over 20 minutes before backup could arrive. (his partner was at the jail with an arrest) The suspect literally walked him around holding him by the holstered pistol. Both snaps were unsnapped during the fight. He was able to retain his pistol in large part due to the design of the holster.
I have used the Accumold with a Safariland nylon lookalike SSIII. It is an excellent combination.
FYI, the UCR report on officers killed I saw reported 17% killed with their own weapons. The number you quote was common when I came on the job.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#8]
My personal opinion is that we build all kinds o'gadjets into our weapons and gear to make up for piss poor training...
But back to Duty gear, Blackhawk with Talon Flex and Depending on the type of side arm my first pick (i know your gonna laugh) Would be an Uncle Mikes Jacket slot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Getting back to the duty gear, I prefer the Uncle Mikes stuff over the Accumold. I had the Bianchi stuff before due to policy restrictions, and didn't like it. I thought it looked "cheap" compared to other vendors, and didn't hold up well, especially in our marine division. It tended to look gray after a while.

Since using the Uncle Mikes, I've been pretty happy. It looks nice, feel comfortable, and can take a beating. Holster is Safariland 6280 for Glock 22 w/ M3 light, and has the optional 6000-1 hood guard attachment to increase retention.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I used the Uncle Mikes pro3 holster for four years. It wasnt a bad holster but it sticks out far.(dont plan on sitting in chairs with armrests) When I put an M3 light on my Glock 21 I had to get the hooded Safariland holster. I love the Safariland! The only thing you have to watch out for on the Uncle Mikes is the break-in. Most of our new officers get the Pro3 and they draw it a few thousand times in the academy during range training. This breaks it in real well so it isnt so tight. If you are not plannig on spending a lot of time breaking it in, get something else.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#12]

STG44,
You're absolutely right about the security and retention ability of the SSIII and thanks for the UCR update.
I use to carry an SSIII and I was able to draw my weapon with some ease after much practice. However, on weak hand drills it's next to impossible to draw across my body wearing a tact 3 vest, and drawing from a sitting position inside of the patrol car is another nightmare. If you're going to carry the SSIII I strongly suggest carrying a back up
Handgun. I'd recommend that every officer carry one regardless of duty holster anyway.
As for the Accumold gear, I really like the professional look and durability of the gear.
I personally like my holster to ride close and high on my side. The Uncle Mikes does pitrude a bit much for my comfort, but it's all pretty good stuff.
19 years huh. Well, welcome to the dinosaur club! What part of the state of Florida are you in? I'll give you a clue on my agency; we all wear the BROWN GOWN.
You don’t have to post your agency's name; I understand the rules some places have about that.

Take good care!

TroDog
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#13]
The accumold is the best, and no matter the price stay away from uncle mikes. My dept. went to uncle mikes about 3 1/2 years ago and were switching again. Yhey were trying to save money over our leather, but they have to replace the nylon so often it's getting more expensive. They have made the decision to go to the uncle mikes basketweave look nylon. I am going to buy my own bianchi as it's the better product hands down. I bought my own full belt of first generation accumold when i was in the navy. I gave some of it to my father in law who is a security gaurd. It's still good as new and is over 7 years old.
go with the accumold and you won't be dissapointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top