Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2011 12:03:27 PM EDT
Since this is my first LEO job in a place that I'm going to need a heavy coat I started thinking about holsters for off duty carry (Glock 22 or 27) I used a Minotaur holster for my last LEO jobs and I'm not sure if it would be the best holster if I'm going to have a heavy coat on. Any advice?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd probably keep it simple and go with a pancake OWB or a Blackhawk CQC.

You'd probably get a lot more info from the carry issues section.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Glock 23 + Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Don Hume pancake, FBI tilt with thumbsnap retention.  It's provided for plainclothers off duty carry.  15 years now and still looks in excellent shape.  I cannot say that about thicker softer leather holsters for my personal guns that get far less use.

ETA- Just have to be selective to wear a coat and not a waist length jacket.  A coat covers well ,a jacket is insufficient.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Off duty I have a crossbreed supertuck for iwb days and a blackhawk cqc for owb.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:52:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Usually a Galco COP with a full size MP9.  If I need to really conceal, I use a Comp-Tac CTAC.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Hanson holster.  Strong side, adjustable friction fit.  Cowhide leather without much of a rake either direction.  It is the same holster I carried concealed on duty.  I don't know if Ernie Hanson of Lincoln City, Oregon is still making them, as he made each one by hand.  But I have yet to wear one of his holsters out.  I carried on and off duty, and used the same holster for competition in IDPA/IPSC/3-gun matches.  They just keep working.  

I once told Ernie that the only problem I see with his holsters from a business standpoint is that they never wear out.  Hence, I only have to buy one...not too good for someone wanting to sell holsters, but great for the consumer.  Both holsters are closing in on 20 years of daily use.  I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:58:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you get to your holstered gun with a big-ass jacket on?  Around here (Detroit suburbs? a big holster gun is backed up by a 38 snub or similar in an outside coat pocket.  Works for me for 30 years now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#8]
With a heavy jacket I actually like a shoulder rig.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:15:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
With a heavy jacket I actually like a shoulder rig.

I would prefer this, but here only detectives are allowed to use shoulder holsters. Incredibly stupid rule.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Galco Combat Master for the G22, the G27 I'd probably just drop in a coat pocket.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top