Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2011 2:30:10 PM EDT
Today, Glenn Beck covered a very disturbing situation growing across the nation and globe which should gravely concern every law abiding citizen in every town and city across the nation and encourage us to take a steadfast stand of firm support for those who place their lives on the line every day for us.

15 officers killed just this month alone, 11 in a 24 hour period...even one...is unacceptable and an outrage, but where is the mainstream media, where? At least Glenn Beck had enough compassion to bring this to light and hammer it home.

It is up to us as private citizens, as Beck said, to treat every LE officer with the same concern, compassion and deep gratitude and thanks as we did on and after 9/11/01, including our fire fighters. Next time you see you local officers, reach out and say thanks for their service. But more than that, DEMAND the media address the horrific statistics below and reasons for the increase in violence against LE...AND how we can all put a stop to the violence against our men and women in uniform.

Get involved in town/city councils and organizations like https://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/ . Start a neighborhood watch, not a half assed one like we had some years back where everyone said "yeah, great idea!" then it never went any further, but start a serious group...because one day, if you've paid attention to the growing violence everywhere...it might just be in one of our neighborhoods, maybe our homes and schools.

PLEASE take some training classes to learn how to communicate and work with police. If unable to contribute time to civilian community orgs, then watch SWAT TV http://www.outdoorchannel.com/Shows/SWAT.aspx , The Best Defense http://www.outdoorchannel.com/Shows/BestDefenseSurvival.aspx , American Guardian http://www.outdoorchannel.com/Shooting.aspx?tpid=1512520926&pid=xEsQcnQmOA9qQ6lAfqSTCGOyKZMjfNup , Personal Defense http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/programming/descriptions/description.php?ID=224 .

With the rise in violent crime, home invasions, car jackings, muggings, robberies...and recently Communist anarchist revolutionary activities/rioting and militia groups, citizens, police and military face these threats together and when police respond to a call, they NEED to clearly know who the good guys are and thats up to us to be both responsible to ourselves, our families and officers, but also involved as concerned citizens.

I don't want to see another fallen heroes funeral because we as citizens could have acted when we seen something that doesn't look or sound right from those around us or related who might be sick in the head such as the sicko from AZ who was obviously planning something evil...but went ignored for several years...even when his words on Facebook and MySpace should have alerted anyone who read his words or knew him. It matters not that this incident did not involve officers being rushed to the hospital...it very well could have, thank God it didn't.

We as citizens cannot accept this any longer...if LE officers can lay their lives on the line for us, the least we can do is take a stand for them and learn some common sense situational awareness, as well as getting over our apathy, complacency and ignorance for violent crime which many think cannot happen to us.  

Let our LE know they do not stand alone.  

15 law enforcement officers have been killed this year–Last year at this time there were also 15 officers killed.  But this year there is an 83% increase of officers killed by Gunfire  (SOURCE:  THE NATIONAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS MEMORIAL FUND)

Officers...PLEASE do not leave your home or precinct without your vest...wear them...PLEASE!

For http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalities-data/

Preliminary 2011 Fatality Statistics
Law Enforcement Officer Fatalities
Preliminary 2011 Numbers
January 27, 2011
             2011 2010 % Change
Total Fatalities 15 15  0%
Gunfire         11  6 +83%
Traffic Incidents 3       8  -63%
Other Causes 1 1 +100%

Please note: These numbers reflect total officer fatalities comparing January 27, 2011 to January 27, 2010.

Note: All data are preliminary and are subject to change.

2010 vs. 2009—officer fatalities were up 40%

* According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund’s preliminary 2010 End of Year Officer Fatality Report, officer fatalities reached 162, up nearly 40% from 117 in 2009. Of the 162 officers killed in the line of duty, 61 were shot — a 24% increase from 2009.

Cop killings versus other years

*If cop’s killed by gunfire remained at the same pace (11/month) there would be 132 cops killed by firearms this year (116% increased over 2010)

*The 132-cop pace would be a 169% increase over cops killed by firearms in 2009

*Note – 2 officers were also beaten to death in 2010 (none this year or in 2009 and only 10 have suffered beating deaths since 2000)

============

(Source: Law Enforcement Fatalities Spike Dangerously in 2010, <http://www.nleomf.org/assets/pdfs/reports/2010_Law_Enforcement_Fatalities_Report.pdf>)

================

2000 through 2009 (Law enforcement killed by firearms)

*565 total deaths between 2000 and 2009

*The 132 pace we’re on for 2011 would account for 23.4% of that 10 year total!

2000: 53

2001: 72

2002: 60

2003: 50

2004: 59

2005: 60

2006: 54

2007: 68

2008: 40

2009: 49

(Source: Causes of Law Enforcement Deaths, <http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalities-data/causes.html>)

* WAR ON COPS

‘It’s not a fluke. There’s a perception among officers in the field that there’s a war on cops going on,’ said Richard Roberts, spokesman for the International Union of Police Associations.  ‘We don’t have any data, but there seems to be a type of criminal out there looking to thwart authority,’ he told MSNBC.  ‘That’s not normal,’ added Steven Groeninger, of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.  ‘It kind of seems like law enforcement, because of their uniforms, have a target on their back.’

FACTORS CONTRIBUTING TO VIOLENCE

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-01-26-copshootings26_ST_N.htm

In recent years, police officials, including former Miami police chief John Timoney, have identified several factors contributing to the violence. Among them:

* More desperate offenders who are increasingly willing to target police.
   * Officers’ inconsistent use of body armor. Some, including the International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association, have suggested that up to half of all police do not wear armor regularly.
   * Offenders’ access to high-caliber weapons.

11 officers were shot in 5 states in 24 hours

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2011/jan/25/251151/st-pete-police-deaths-cap-deadly-24-hours-nationwi/

January 25, 2011

* The slayings of two St. Petersburg police officers serving a warrant Monday capped a violent 24 hours in which 11 police officers were shot in five states
   * “I don’t know if it’s a trend yet,” said Steven Groeninger, spokesman for the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, which tracks police deaths. “It does seem to be a continuation of what we saw in 2010.”
   * Reasons for the spike in law enforcement deaths are difficult to identify, he said.  “There seems to be a more brazen criminal out there,” Groeninger said. “Law enforcement officers, because of the uniforms they wear, have become targets. There is a criminal element that is completely intent on killing a cop just so they can say, ‘I killed a cop.’ “
   * Another reason may be the sweeping budget cuts that local, state and federal law enforcement agencies have shouldered over the past few years, he said.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=133243505

great quote in this piece:

Jon Shane an assistant professor in the Department of Law, Police Science and Criminal Justice Administration at John Jay College:

Now the International Union of Police Associations was quoted by MSNBC.com as saying this is not a fluke, that there’s a perception among officers in the field that there’s a war on cops going on. Do you see it that way?

Prof. SHANE: Well, there’s certainly something to be said for that. I think it follows some bit of a larger trend in the United States, that there’s this overriding sense of entitlement and don’t tread on me. And law enforcement stands between the law-abiding people and this chaos that’s going to erupt, that these would-be criminals would have if they get their way. And it’s, well, police work is intrinsically dangerous, and just kind of highlights the larger social movement that’s afoot.

Officer Profiles

Police Officer Christopher Matlosz 1/14/2011 (27), shot to death ‘execution style’ while on duty(Lakewood, NJ) (he was a son, brother, and loving fiancée)

* Authorities say that the 27 year old Matlosz drove up to Jahmell W. Crockam as Crockam was walking and began speaking with him in a nonconfrontational manner when the suspect suddenly stepped back, pulled out a handgun and shot the officer 3 times.
   * Engaged to Kelly Walsifer, fiancé was at hospital, gave tearful eulogy at his funeral mass on Jan 20—they were supposed to be married in June 2012
   * Inside the Mass booklet was a photo of Matlosz and Walsifer (his fiancé) adorns the final page which reads: “Chris was a devoted son, brother, and soul mate to finacee Kelly and a proud member of the Lakewood police Department.  He was a man who enjoyed life and had the gift of laughter to share with fellow officers and friends.”
   * Matlosz was hired as an Englishtown Police Officer in 2004
   * Matlosz was lauded for his role in a multi-agency drug raid at a Manalapan home in 2005
   * Matlosz had been a Lakewood Township Officer for six years
   * Matlosz’s grandfather was a fire chief

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/press/ocean/article_0944d802-29d1-11e0-b500-001cc4c002e0.html

* His accused killer, Jahmell W. Crockam (19) was arrested in Camden and charged with Matlosz’s murder Jan. 16, about 38 hours after Matlosz was killed. Crockam was also charged by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office last week in the Oct. 15 murder of of 20-year-old Justin Williams, also known as “Prodigy.”  Crockam remains in Ocean County Jail, Toms River, on $7,165,000 million bail.
   * Matlosz was buried Jan. 20 during a funeral that brought thousands of police officers and law enforcement personnel to Ocean County.
   * NJ Governor Chris Christie also spoke at his funeral

ELEMENTS:  SOT- :26 fiancé delivering eulogy

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/01/fiancee_of_slain_police_office.html

“his big smile, contagious laugh, his hilarious jokes. Made him the perfect best friend and soul mate I could ever have.  I question god everyday why he would take chris away from me.  but I know that he is still giving me the same strength courage and bravery he had serving as a police officer”

Police Chief Ralph Painter (55), Rainier Oregon 1/5/11:

Summary: Chief Ralph Painter was shot and killed after responding to a local car stereo shop in which a man was attempting to take a car that did not belong to him. When Chief Painter made contact with the man a struggle ensued. The subject was able to disarm and fatally shoot him. The man then exchanged shots with responding officers before being wounded and taken into custody. He was charged with aggravated murder.

* Chief Painter is survived by his wife and seven children

* Chief Painter was a marathon runner and musician

* Painter was a 25-year veteran of the Rainier Police Department

* Painter led the force for five years

* Painter was an avid hunter and fisherman

* Painter graduated from high school in 1974 and married his high school sweetheart. That marriage didn’t last and he married twice more

* Painter had five children, two stepchildren (who he helped raise)

* His children range in age from 7 to 33, and he has 12 grandchildren

* Painter also played a larger role in the community, serving on the Rainier City Council.

[Source: The Oregonian - Slain Rainier police chief Ralph Painter: 'He always cared about people' - 1/8/11 -

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2011/01/slain_rainier_police_chief_ralph_painter_he_always_cared_about_people.html]

To my cousins on the CT State PD and Bridgeport, CT PD and their brothers and sisters across the nation, and especially the 18,000+ officers killed throughout our history...you are not forgotten, nor your loved ones... forever in our thoughts and prayers...forever in our deepest gratitude. PLEASE BE SAFE...WEAR YOUR VESTS!
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Book Celebrating Suicide Bombers Found in Arizona Desert; http://www.theblaze.com/stories/book-celebrating-suicide-bombers-found-in-arizona-desert/

Mother abandons her toddlers on bus to attack a bus rider, children look on and then caught in middle of brawl. Others on bus...IGNORE IT, do nothing to protect children and defend victim.
http://www.fugitive.com/archives/34468

These are two things which should be very alarming to anyone with half a sane brain. The point? Shit along the Mexican border is out of control and our LE and citizens are in grave peril..as is our Republic, as far as the fight on the bus...I don't know what pisses me off more, the mother and another woman attacking someone minding her own business with the childrens and victims safety in jeopardy...or the idiots who just sat looking the other way.

The shit is hitting the fan and if citizens do not take a stand...these people will walk all over us...endangering the entire nation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't suppose anyone has the Cliff Notes version...
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for posting that.  

The funeral for the two St Petersburg police officers starts in about a hour here in St Pete FL.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I know there's that poll Bama has that says cops are more respected now than ever but I've noticed the opposite. I'm used to people hating the cops where I work in the ghetto, that's normal. Lately though, where I live out in the suburbs I've noticed that more and more people have a lot of animosity towards the cops in recent years. Probably because you only see the negative stories and videos about cops in the media. Might also have to do with the bad economy and our local residents get pissed when they see the cops here making over $150,000 a year and not really doing much police work.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Watch your buddies back and they will watch yours.

Stay Safe
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

LoL, sorry, never did very well in Journalism/English class in keeping things short and take after my late father who loved to talk...just felt I needed to elaborate.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting that.  

The funeral for the two St Petersburg police officers starts in about a hour here in St Pete FL.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and Departments. Two more names added to the wall of heroes with the 18,000+
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know there's that poll Bama has that says cops are more respected now than ever but I've noticed the opposite. I'm used to people hating the cops where I work in the ghetto, that's normal. Lately though, where I live out in the suburbs I've noticed that more and more people have a lot of animosity towards the cops in recent years. Probably because you only see the negative stories and videos about cops in the media. Might also have to do with the bad economy and our local residents get pissed when they see the cops here making over $150,000 a year and not really doing much police work.

Thats because you are working behind enemy lines...........I started out my first two years in Law Enforcement Working in the Housing Projects here........Oh the stories of the cop hatred, I'm glad I experienced it, and I'm glad I don't work there every day anymore, The "action" was fun, just that the people you were "serving" and "protecting" could give two fucks what you did, who you were, or what happened to you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because you are working behind enemy lines...........I started out my first two years in Law Enforcement Working in the Housing Projects here........Oh the stories of the cop hatred, I'm glad I experienced it, and I'm glad I don't work there every day anymore, The "action" was fun, just that the people you were "serving" and "protecting" could give two fucks what you did, who you were, or what happened to you.

I expect it where I work. But like I said, even in the lily white suburbs I've noticed increased animosity towards the police.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because you are working behind enemy lines...........I started out my first two years in Law Enforcement Working in the Housing Projects here........Oh the stories of the cop hatred, I'm glad I experienced it, and I'm glad I don't work there every day anymore, The "action" was fun, just that the people you were "serving" and "protecting" could give two fucks what you did, who you were, or what happened to you.

I expect it where I work. But like I said, even in the lily white suburbs I've noticed increased animosity towards the police.

I think it's a NY thing....everyone hates the Government....so they hate the cops. See it here too....mostly just rabble rousers where I work now (Not the TRULY I HATE YOU TYPES Like in the hood')....Here it's: "You guys make too much money", You guys shouldn't get a pension", You guys shouldn't get Healthcare", blah, blah, etc......but when the Private sector was making $$$$ hand over fist all we heard was: "You guys deserve more", "I wouldn't work for that little pay."....oh how they forget
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's a NY thing....everyone hates the Government....so they hate the cops. See it here too....mostly just rabble rousers where I work now (Not the TRULY I HATE YOU TYPES Like in the hood')....Here it's: "You guys make too much money", You guys shouldn't get a pension", You guys shouldn't get Healthcare", blah, blah, etc......but when the Private sector was making $$$$ hand over fist all we heard was: "You guys deserve more", "I wouldn't work for that little pay."....oh how they forget

Exactly, no one was bitching about my pension back in '93 when I was bringing home $325 a week.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

that WAS the Cliff's Notes.

OP is right.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting that.  

I heard there was approximaltey 15,000 at the service.  Shamefully this has been a rough month for not only FL LEO's but Nationally also.

Dan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top