Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2002 9:44:46 PM EDT
I shot a 50 out of 50 today at our academy qualification.

Our course of fire was;

12 rounds waist level instinctive shooting in 10 seconds from the 3 yard line.

12 rounds point shoulder shooting in 15 seconds, with a  magazine change from the 7 yard line.

12 rounds aimed fire from the 15 yard line, with a tactical magazine save, in 25 seconds.

14 rounds, 7 standing and 7 kneeling from the 25 yard line in 40 seconds with a magazine change.

Targets were standard police silhouettes.
We were firing the Glock 17.

What are some of your departments qualifications and courses of fire?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish my sate's Quil. was that easy.  I would get a better score. [pistol]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My dept's qualification sounds exactly like yours.  Our qualification is a joke all we have to do is hit anywhere in the black and it's an automatic 5 points.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I retired in 1987 after spending my last 6 years as the chief firearms instructor for a department with 400 armed personnel. I had one of the most inovative programs in our state.

I had hoped that law enforcement firearms training and qualifications would have progressed a lot further (more realistic and proctical) that this. Damn shame it is still so retarded.

No reflection on you Author. You did what was required of you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My dept's qualification sounds exactly like yours.  Our qualification is a joke all we have to do is hit anywhere in the black and it's an automatic 5 points.  
View Quote

The sad part is we still have a number of deputies that fail to qualify year after year.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I retired in 1987 after spending my last 6 years as the chief firearms instructor for a department with 400 armed personnel. I had one of the most inovative programs in our state.

I had hoped that law enforcement firearms training and qualifications would have progressed a lot further (more realistic and proctical) that this. Damn shame it is still so retarded.

No reflection on you Author. You did what was required of you.
View Quote

I hear ya' man.

The real shame of it is, out of 36 recruits only 5 of us shot a perfect score!!!

We do however run some very limited tactical courses as well. Shooting on the move, transitioning from shotgun to pistol, shooting around obstacles etc.

One major flaw I see in our training is the fact that our range instructors only teach us to "scan" left to right after firing to try and combat target fixation(tunnel vision). There is no emphasis on a 360 degree scan, when in the real world the threat may come from any direction.

I would love to go to Blackwater Lodge, or some other tactical school, but right now the bank account can't support it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top