Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2010 6:15:51 PM EDT
Does anyone know, or can anyone find out, the current uncorrected vision requirements for the NYPD?  I have scoured their website and the web and can't find any up to date information on this.  My uncorrected vision is in the 20/300+ range (hard time seeing anything but the big E), but I can see 20/20 with contacts or glasses.  I am not a good candidate for the laser surgery so that is not an option.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone know, or can anyone find out, the current uncorrected vision requirements for the NYPD?  I have scoured their website and the web and can't find any up to date information on this.  My uncorrected vision is in the 20/300+ range (hard time seeing anything but the big E), but I can see 20/20 with contacts or glasses.  I am not a good candidate for the laser surgery so that is not an option.  Thanks

Therefore it is necessary that candidates be in excellent physical health prior to being hired. The
medical examination consists of the following battery of tests:

Vision test- Candidates’ vision must be 20/30 or better corrected and at least 20/100 or better
uncorrected with each eye tested separately. Candidates must bring glasses or contact lenses
to the examination.

Dated from 2005..
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Call 212-RECRUIT
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Therefore it is necessary that candidates be in excellent physical health prior to being hired. The

Vision test- Candidates’ vision must be 20/30 or better corrected and at least 20/100 or better
uncorrected with each eye tested separately. Candidates must bring glasses or contact lenses
to the examination.

Dated from 2005..

Thanks, those are the previous requirements that I have seen.  I was just being hopeful that they may have eased up.  I do find it odd that they are not listed on the NYPDRecruit page.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

to the examination.

Dated from 2005..

Thanks, those are the previous requirements that I have seen.  I was just being hopeful that they may have eased up.  I do find it odd that they are not listed on the NYPDRecruit page.

I would suggest following the poster above you then... they would have the most updated information.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to be completely honest with you.

You will be fine.  

The vision test was done by a nice middle aged gentlemen reading a magazine, that payed no attention to my answers when he said "read the third line"

I could have said "It's says your like hairy chested men" and he still would have scooted me to the next station.

The hearing test consisted of a lady who pressed the right ear button about 10 times in a matter of 5 seconds, never once was there a tone in my left ear, and i'm not the only one that walked out of the room completely confused.  

Welcome to the NYPD

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You will be fine.  

The vision test was done by a nice middle aged gentlemen reading a magazine, that payed no attention to my answers when he said "read the third line"

I could have said "It's says your like hairy chested men" and he still would have scooted me to the next station.

The hearing test consisted of a lady who pressed the right ear button about 10 times in a matter of 5 seconds, never once was there a tone in my left ear, and i'm not the only one that walked out of the room completely confused.  

Welcome to the NYPD

Same for me 18 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I called the recruiting number and they gave me the number to medical.  According to the medical office the standard definitely is still 20/100 uncorrected.  There is no waiver process and there are no exceptions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will be fine.  

Welcome to the NYPD

I keep hearing things like this and I have seen similar stories posted on other boards.  There are just a couple problems with it that I see.  First, I would be an out of town applicant (Buffalo) and don't want to get into the process pinning all my hopes on the person giving the eye exam's inattention.  Second, it seems kind of messed up to start a police career by skating around a rule (albeit a really stupid one in my opinion).

It makes me think though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Apply and take the test.  Whats the worst that can happen?  They say no.  

Throw your hat in the ring and see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will be fine.  

Welcome to the NYPD

I keep hearing things like this and I have seen similar stories posted on other boards.  There are just a couple problems with it that I see.  First, I would be an out of town applicant (Buffalo) and don't want to get into the process pinning all my hopes on the person giving the eye exam's inattention.  Second, it seems kind of messed up to start a police career by skating around a rule

You're not skating the rule or lying. If they pass you, they pass you. There's really no rigorous testing done by the NYPD at all during the recruitment phase. Hell, my oral psych "test" was less than 2 minutes long with a total of 3 questions. If they want to have low standards that's on them.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will be fine.  

Welcome to the NYPD

I keep hearing things like this and I have seen similar stories posted on other boards.  There are just a couple problems with it that I see.  First, I would be an out of town applicant (Buffalo) and don't want to get into the process pinning all my hopes on the person giving the eye exam's inattention.  Second, it seems kind of messed up to start a police career by skating around a rule (albeit a really stupid one in my opinion).

do you live in the city of Buffalo, or burbs?.....The local County wide Civil service test is coming up soon, are you taking it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:05:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will be fine.  

Welcome to the NYPD

do you live in the city of Buffalo, or burbs?.....The local County wide Civil service test is coming up soon, are you taking it?

I am just outside of Buffalo.  I did not sign up for that test.  The posting lists vision standards I can't meet and I am sort of trying to get out of WNY anyway.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:30:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will be fine.  

S
Welcome to the NYPD

I am just outside of Buffalo.  I did not sign up for that test.  The posting lists vision standards I can't meet and I am sort of trying to get out of WNY anyway.

Sorry to hear that

and....I don't blame you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top