Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2010 1:10:55 PM EDT
I'm a U.S. Marine in the infantry field and I'm looking to start a career in Law Enforcement when I get out of the Marines. I plan on reenlisting within the year for another 4 years, but I was looking into the PMO (Military Police) MOS but people have told me that taking up a PMO MOS would hinder my applications for civilian agencies.

Having been told that the reason doing military police would hinder me in the civilian world is because civilian PD's frown upon our "bad habits". I would've figured that the additional training and real world experience would better prepare myself for the civilian world law enforcement, but everyone I've talked to said that it would depend on the state, department, and size of the city I apply for.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#1]
in my academy class i had an air force mp and an army mp.  the only bad habits either one had was they liked the beretta trigger better than the glocks.  

while in the academy or during the field training.  just don't say, "well in the military we, do it this way."
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
in my academy class i had an air force mp and an army mp.  the only bad habits either one had was they liked the beretta trigger better than the glocks.  

while in the academy or during the field training.  just don't say, "well in the military we, do it this way."

This. I was an Air Force SP and then a UPS driver; couldn't stand UPS and took the leap to civilian LEO. I LOVE IT. Our newest deputy is an Army MP reservist, he's a great guy and excellent deputy. I think MP career change would be great for you, whether you decide to stay in (It could happen) or get out and go LEO. I work with a former Marine embassy guard too (We give him lots of guff about using crayons as he's a Marine). LEO takes all kinds and everyone brings great experiences to the table. Check around and see what works for you. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing wrong with being an MP it will not "hinder" you but just remember as stated before do not going into the academy thinking that you know everything because you were in the military you will not make any friends that way.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
some agencies prefer not to hire laterals (kinda like MP's) because of the reasons stated and because some agencies prefer to start with a "blank slate."
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
some agencies prefer not to hire laterals (kinda like MP's) because of the reasons stated and because some agencies prefer to start with a "blank slate."

Yeah, the NEW wave is for agencies to hire those with no street or military experience to mold them into politically correct pussies. I'll take a military veteran as a partner in the field over some runny nosed 22 year old college grad that's never been in a fight before or fired a gun. Don't discount federal LE agencies. Most prefer MIL and or LE prior backgrounds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, the NEW wave is for agencies to hire those with no street or military experience to mold them into politically correct pussies. I'll take a military veteran as a partner in the field over some runny nosed 22 year old college grad that's never been in a fight before or fired a gun. Don't discount federal LE agencies. Most prefer MIL and or LE prior backgrounds.
That's a fact brother.  We love our vets here, snatch up every one we
can lay hands on.  My prior MP experience didn't hinder me one bit in fact it put me way ahead.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you get into NCIS?  It would give you a leg up on many GS 1811 jobs...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#8]
we have several officers at our dept that are former MP's and MP's in the Reserves and National Gaurd. Never seen any "bad habits."

J-
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]
In all my years of doing this job (14+) I have NEVER actually heard one word uttered by any officer, administrator(s) included, in reference to prior MP experience being a bad thing. Never.

You hear this from time to time... but I am hear to tell you... good military service is a BIG PLUS... MP-type jobs included.  It's a myth that just won't die.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Some civilian agencies don't see military service as a plus anymore.
Not to mention, given  todays .mil operational reality, if you are prior service they'll have it in their minds that you might get back in the Guard or Reserves to finish out your military 20 and be a deployable loss to their agency.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:24:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I would say on the whole, no, it wouldn't be a hinderance...................though some of the things you may know, how you approach a problem, may catch some by surprise.

First of all, a background: I was a shore Security Officer for the Navy during the Cold War. When I got out, security companies looked at me with glee because to them, I seemed exactly what they wanted...but that kind of work wasn't what I wanted. These days, I am not police but my research duties often places me among cops and others of similar positions.

Two and a half and a half examples:

1: In a course, 5 years ago, of special police operations, we were going through various emergency scenarios including one where I was "assigned" to the dispatch/public information section. One of the items I had placed in our response to the problem (I believe the problem was a regional disaster due to criminal/terrorist activity) was that "We request that the governor's office send a counterintelligence officer to monitor our communications in case an enemy agent should use this to gain information. Whether or not they send one is up to them, but we make the request." Now, my group comrades were rather surprised and apprehensive of my suggestion but when presented to the course leader, it was generally well received.

2: In an earlier course, one on procedures, we were going over an officer caused death and the aftermath. The cause of such is usually that someone gets shot. I raised my hand and asked what if the death was hand to hand which sort of caught the rest of the class by surprise. The response was that it was still the same procedure and while the class was caught by surprise, the instructor was not since he understood that "often, those picked for military police are the best brawlers".

A note on both these courses: they were upper level courses where most, if not all, the students are police, corrections, agency investigators, or similar.

A half: You may enter "this world" knowing more about how things done in reality than your classmates. In a lower level course, I had an instructor rather ignore my answers once because for the questions he was asking, he was trying to get the point across that one does not crawl in bed with the criminal regardless of what the goal ultimately is. In that case, most of the students were not active or former police and what they knew of the police world was what they had seen on TV. In short, you would already know that it isn't the romance and glamor that a lot believe in.

A half: It may be better not to talk about your former credentials if not asked. Let what is in the present speak for you. I have found that if I say that I was military police before out of the blue, it really does not help the conversation.

Good luck!
(After Lymangood has expressed that being observer is a welcomed change from busting in doors to being an observer in air support....and a round goes through the canopy, buzzing his head on first mission. "JESUS!"
"Welcome to air support!"––Murphy, (w,stte), "Blue Thunder")
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:25:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I knew I could count on you guys to give the best advice! You all don't know how relieved I am to read your posts.

I was thinking of doing CID, but my GT score is only 105 and they require 110 (not waiverable) and with having a wife and 3 kids, I can't take the time out to study for the ASVAB again lol. I'd love to do CID, but I have no problem doing the foot work :-)

Thank you guys! Semper Fi.

I'll be around to ask more questions I'm sure, and to let you all know how it goes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:33:08 AM EDT
[#13]
In the great state of South Carolina, we'd likely make you attend three weeks of SC legals at the academy, and you'd be good-to-go.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:11:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I ask each academy class what their military MOS's were.  For some reason, MP's are usually outnumbered by infantry/cavalry types and technical/mechanical MOS's.  In my class there was army infantry, USMC engineer (me) and a Navy mechanic.

If you want to jump over to 58xx, do it for the experience.  It won't hurt.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#15]
The chances of you getting PMO is very slim. The majority of 5811s are "Field MPs" which wouldnt be much of a change for you.

And I'm not even sure you can get contract 5811 certainly has to be easier for a reenlistment, some of the guys on their first enlistment went 5800 field and ended up as 5831s - Correctional Officers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:10:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Another plus is you may be able to skip a formal police academy if you were a MP.  Here in Florida its called Equivalency Of Training and you take a two week course (I did mine in 2003) and then take the state exam.  Your then "certified" and can apply at most agencies.  This way you can skip the academy and save a bunch of time and money.
Best of luck!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Dont sweat it.  Tons of agencies would hire you.  Simply because your a Vet.  I have never heard of a guy who an MP in any branch get turned down for employment because of that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top