Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2010 9:42:20 PM EDT
I think its time for a career change for many reasons. I am a tattooist but the field has dried up due to the economy.

I have always been interested in local law enforcement.

To all you who are police officers, where do I even begin? I have a four year college degree but Im just wondering what to expect..

Im am 31. Is it even possible to become a police officer at age 31 or do you need to start younger?

I am also not the biggest guy on the planet. Im average build and 5'8/5'9. If you are not Vin Diesel, do you find its harder to control/subdue people? More danger if you are not a tall muscle bound dude?

Also, for those who are officers, do you like your job? Would you do it again if you could?

Thanks for all the feedback!

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Where to begin?  First, check around locally and see who is hiring, right now just finding a place to apply to may be a tall order.  Having a degree will help some, but the economy is tough on everyone right now and few places are looking to hire en masse right now.

31 is not too old here, but it varies by department and prior .mil or le experience.  

Physical size is not the only determining factor when working the streets.  We have a Kuk Sul Won master and 5th degree blackbelt who is about 5'3 140, not that anyone would ever guess by looking at him in uniform.  But, he knows how to establish command presence, and has the skills to back it up if necessary.  It is all about being confident and taking control or a SHTF situation quickly and decisively, without pissing everyone off even more, or taking it too far.  It is a delicate balance to manage, but Officers of all sizes are successful when they know how to manipulate shitty situations.

I have been on with my dept since 07.  City pop is about 135k-150k, and we have 187 Sworn Officers.  I have a B.S in Criminal Justice/Police Science and double majored in Political Science.  Worked in Juvenile corrections the last 18mo of college and quit as soon as I knew I was in the academy.  I worked 2 years on patrol and have been working as a plain-clothes street crimes officer for about a year now, and it is the best job in the world.  Some nights/days you will be like WTF???? am i doing this for, and others you will be like WTF!!! that was freaking awesome.   Sometimes you aren't paid enough, and sometimes you will love it so much you would almost do it for free.  You get to see a lot of things no one else will, and a lot of things you wish you never had.  All in all, you cant beat it if it is something you have a passion for, just be prepared for it to be totally different than you expect it to be, and at the same time be prepared to have your eyes opened to what really goes on in the world.  

Good luck to you, and let us know what you decide.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Four letters: NYPD  Take the test ASAP.. Then go from there..
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:08:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think its time for a career change for many reasons. I am a tattooist but the field has dried up due to the economy.

I have always been interested in local law enforcement.

To all you who are police officers, where do I even begin? I have a four year college degree but Im just wondering what to expect..

Im am 31. Is it even possible to become a police officer at age 31 or do you need to start younger? Definently, I know plenty of guys who got into it well after their 30's

I am also not the biggest guy on the planet. Im average build and 5'8/5'9. If you are not Vin Diesel, do you find its harder to control/subdue people? More danger if you are not a tall muscle bound dude? In this case, size REALLY doesnt matter....Being able to talk to people does....its amazing how some guys can't talk to people and end up in fights all the time.

Also, for those who are officers, do you like your job? Would you do it again if you could? Although I still consider myself fairly new, I have been on for 3 years....I still love the job.  I can't think of doing anything else.  There are so many times, even after working the crappiest day, that I leave work thinking, I can't believe they pay me to do this!!  Best job EVER!  No day is ever the same.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:38:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Look up agencies where you are remotely interested in working, and start shotgunning applications.

I am 31. Is it even possible to become a police officer at age 31 or do you need to start younger?

Absolutely.  We regularly have guys in their 40's come through.  They hurt a little more the next morning after a hard PT day, but they usually do well academically and the life experience and maturity is invaluable.

I am also not the biggest guy on the planet. Im average build and 5'8/5'9. If you are not Vin Diesel, do you find its harder to control/subdue people? More danger if you are not a tall muscle bound dude?

All about technique.  And having backup.

Also, for those who are officers, do you like your job? Would you do it again if you could?

In a freaking minute.  It's a front row seat to the best show on earth.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:50:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Governments are stagnant or cutting back that makes it tough for new hires. I am going out on a limb and guessing you have an art background or maybe some natural talent. Why not something in graphic arts like sign painter, witty tee shirt manufactuer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:26:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the replies.

Why NYPD over something local? I think I would like to serve my community at a local level rather than commute to the city everyday. I used to commute to the city and it gets old quick, I also have two cousins who are NYPD and they seem to have gotten burnt out fast.

As far as art, yes I do have an art background (I have a BFA in art) and that is precisely why I want to change careers. I am tired of haggling with prices. Somehow people think just because you are an artist (even though I am providing them a service that will last them a lifetime...tattooing) that they deserve a deal. Im just burnt out on it.

Being a LEO interests me because it seems you are outdoors more and everyday there is something new to deal with.  

As far as graphic design, its actually quite a boring job and there is not much money in it. They don't want to hire an experienced artist when they can grab one of the million kids coming out of art school with a design major and pay them 30K a year.

Finally I looked into the test more. It seems that my county gives a test every four years and thats how you get hired. It doesn't seem like you can just apply to a town. So in this case, will they place me where they need me after the test or do you get to pick which town you want to work in?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why NYPD over something local? I think I would like to serve my community at a local level rather than commute to the city everyday. I used to commute to the city and it gets old quick, I also have two cousins who are NYPD and they seem to have gotten burnt out fast.

Lot easier and faster to get hired by NYPD. You can move on from there. On a sidenote, as a NYPD cop who has full sleeves, chest panels, throat, 2 neck, and hand tattoos let me say that if, as a tattoo artist, you're covered in tattoos they won't hire you. I only get away with it because I was hired long before those rules went into effect. If you have some on your arms they might take you but if you're sleeved or have any on your neck, hands, or fingers they won't touch you. Most departments will have the same policy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lot easier and faster to get hired by NYPD. You can move on from there. On a sidenote, as a NYPD cop who has full sleeves, chest panels, throat, 2 neck, and hand tattoos let me say that if, as a tattoo artist, you're covered in tattoos they won't hire you. I only get away with it because I was hired long before those rules went into effect. If you have some on your arms they might take you but if you're sleeved or have any on your neck, hands, or fingers they won't touch you. Most departments will have the same policy.

I have sleeves and one on the back of my neck. Nothing on my hands and face. I was under the impression that as long as I wear long sleeves Im ok?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As far as art, yes I do have an art background (I have a BFA in art) and that is precisely why I want to change careers. I am tired of haggling with prices. Somehow people think just because you are an artist (even though I am providing them a service that will last them a lifetime...tattooing) that they deserve a deal. Im just burnt out on it.

Being a LEO interests me because it seems you are outdoors more and everyday there is something new to deal with.  

As far as graphic design, its actually quite a boring job and there is not much money in it. They don't want to hire an experienced artist when they can grab one of the million kids coming out of art school with a design major and pay them 30K a year.

Finally I looked into the test more. It seems that my county gives a test every four years and thats how you get hired. It doesn't seem like you can just apply to a town. So in this case, will they place me where they need me after the test or do you get to pick which town you want to work in?

I am also an artist and I am tired of kissing ass to get my work shown so I can understand your feelings on that. I am also a retired Fire Officer remember one thing FFs get more time off and alot more pussy than a LEO.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Extorris is the SME.. I say NYPD bc they are always giving the test and they put through large classes.. You stay a few years and lateral out if you feel like it, or stay the 20. Regardless, a lot of places wont touch you after 32, so that's another consideration.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have sleeves and one on the back of my neck. Nothing on my hands and face. I was under the impression that as long as I wear long sleeves Im ok?

They might not take you with a full sleeve. There are guys in my precinct who almost got disqualified for less than a sleeve.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They might not take you with a full sleeve. There are guys in my precinct who almost got disqualified for less than a sleeve.

Unfortunately, having tattoos is hard to get around.  They may not hire you BUT never tell you it's because of the tattoos.  I know cops who are stuck with their agency because of tattoos... thay CAN'T move on to better places/pay.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am also an artist and I am tired of kissing ass to get my work shown so I can understand your feelings on that. I am also a retired Fire Officer remember one thing FFs get more time off and alot more pussy than a LEO.

Plus when people wave to us they use all five fingers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Plus when people wave to us they use all five fingers.

I just spit my beer all over my keyboard haha....

What do you get when you leave a fireman in a room with two anvils?
When you get back ones missing and the other one is broken....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top