Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 11:37:41 AM EDT
I got all of my certifications done for firearms instructor this year and I was told I had to come up with something to do a night shoot training.    Our agency hadn't done one in a few years.
It was pretty simple, but I pulled a cruiser on the range and had them start out in the car, grabbing the shotgun out of the mount, running around the car, engaging three targets, then going up to a barricade and transitioning to the handgun for the rest of it.    Then I had two "drop and turn" targets, a hostage target, and two steel knock downs.    They didn't have to use a flashlight thanks to the LEDs.
Overall the reception was pretty positive, especially from the admins.     A few of them had trouble getting the shotgun out of the car when they were trying to hurry a little bit.    I hadn't thought of that before hand but I'm glad it happened for the ones that did.
I managed a few pics, although you can't see much.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks pretty good!  Keep it up.  Check out NTOA for other good range ideas.
-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I always believed you learn more from what "goes wrong" than from what goes right.  Nowhere is that more evident than low-light.no-light.
Great idea to do one of these ... especially if you haven't had one lately.
Congrats on your Instructor ratings and ...

Stay safe
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I always believed you learn more from what "goes wrong" than from what goes right.  Nowhere is that more evident than low-light.no-light.
Great idea to do one of these ... especially if you haven't had one lately.
Congrats on your Instructor ratings and ...

Stay safe

I firmly believe this.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
hell of a good job.  good on you for putting so much time in and thought.  Maybe throw some dummy rounds in some mags prior to having the person run it.  Just a thought.

I really wish we got some time to do scenarios like this or just practice.  I like the lights going too.  The overheads can really screw up your perception and visuals.  

Congrats.  Just got Taser Instructor Certed, looking for a firearms cert next.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

hell of a good job.  good on you for putting so much time in and thought.  Maybe throw some dummy rounds in some mags prior to having the person run it.  Just a thought.

I really wish we got some time to do scenarios like this or just practice.  I like the lights going too.  The overheads can really screw up your perception and visuals.  

Congrats.  Just got Taser Instructor Certed, looking for a firearms cert next.

Forgot to mention that we did that...   second shot on the "hostage" target was a dud.    Most hesitated but they all handled it pretty well

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:41:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Good job, keep it up.
make sure that you keep copies of everything for yourself. Lesson plans, COF, etc. Agencies have a horrendous way of losing documentation, and its you as the instructor who gets tossed on the hot seat when training becomes an issue.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:39:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Good job, keep it up.

make sure that you keep copies of everything for yourself. Lesson plans, cCOF, etc. Agencies have a horrendous way of losing documentation, and its you as the instructor who gets tossed on the hot seat when training becomes an issue.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.    I had a rough copy drawn up for this one, I'll make sure a copy of that gets in with the qual sheets.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:47:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Good job, keep it up.
make sure that you keep copies of everything for yourself. Lesson plans, cCOF, etc. Agencies have a horrendous way of losing documentation, and its you as the instructor who gets tossed on the hot seat when training becomes an issue.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.    I had a rough copy drawn up for this one, I'll make sure a copy of that gets in with the qual sheets.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we as firearms instructors tend to be gun guys. We shoot a lot and sometimes do weird stuff with our shooting "just because"...we game up our personal COF a bit. When it comes to putting on our teaching hat, you can't do that. Every COF you create has to be addressing a specific training purpose, and state the intended training purpose for that COF right in the documentation...what training goal are you trying to reach, what training point are you trying to teach by running that particular COF..Yours is essentially a no-brainer in that regard.....night firing familarization/ qual when we are in a  job where half of our potential shift is in hours of darkness.

I'm sure that you've already heard this a dozen times over going through instructor school. Just a reminder.

My new COF I'll be teaching for the first time today for our fall firearms week is a divergent positions COF. I went through a similar COF at a recent IALEFI regional conference and thought my guys could learn something from it. If you haven't joined IALEFI or a similar professional firearms instructor type organization, do so. You learn a lot at their training events.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:18:37 AM EDT
[#11]
We do this with our guys......usually while working their shift and down in a local stone quarry.

Might want to add in some Target/Threat Recognition? It's can be tough at night especially with all the flashing lights. They make pre-printed targets would be a great skill builder and far too many departments don't teach it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:44:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We do this with our guys......usually while working their shift and down in a local stone quarry.

Might want to add in some Target/Threat Recognition? It's can be tough at night especially with all the flashing lights. They make pre-printed targets would be a great skill builder and far too many departments don't teach it.

I'm trying to get both my departments to transition to more of those targets, and you'd think I was asking for their first born kid.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to get both my departments to transition to more of those targets, and you'd think I was asking for their first born kid.

and that is the typical response...........they probably spent $10,000 on coloring books for DARE though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top