Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 9:54:47 AM EDT
My son's a freshman in high school.  His PE coach asked me to come give some brief firearm safety talk with his class.  I don't mind but I'd like something doesn't demonize firearms but will still pass muster with the liberal school system.  I'm my department's rangemaster and I have tons of other stuff, but this is a first for me.

IM me if you can help and I'll send you my work email.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#1]
What about the NRA?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Why don't you check your states Hunter Ed website?  The courses are usually free.
Often times there is an option to take the majority of the class online, so you might be
able to download appropriate info from that. It should be perfect since it is written for kids.

Otherwise contact the agency and see if you can get a copy of the materials.

This Might Help
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What about the NRA?

I'd have to order Eddie Eagle stuff.  Don't think I'll have enough time.  I'll check with our SROs and Crime Prevention guys.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Rule #1:  Don't shoot yourself in the leg while showing the kids how professionally trained you are.

Rule #2:  If you do shoot yourself in the leg with an unloaded weapon, don't ask your cohort to pass you the unloaded AR so you can continue the demonstration.

Try the NRA Eddie Eagle Program to see if you can find some useful info or handouts to develop a lesson plan.

http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Rule #1:  Don't shoot yourself in the leg while showing the kids how professionally trained you are.

Rule #2:  If you do shoot yourself in the leg with an unloaded weapon, don't ask your cohort to pass you the unloaded AR so you can continue the demonstration.

Try the NRA Eddie Eagle Program to see if you can find some useful info or handouts to develop a lesson plan.

http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/

No shit.  I show that video every class.  Hell I showed it Friday to my Range Officer class I was teaching.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
What about the NRA?

I'd have to order Eddie Eagle stuff.  Don't think I'll have enough time.  I'll check with our SROs and Crime Prevention guys.

I mainly posted because I can't believe that the NRA doesn't have any free children's stuff.  The break their arms patting themselves on their backs with regard to new shooter training.  Thought that maybe I was wrong, but no.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about the NRA?

I mainly posted because I can't believe that the NRA doesn't have any free children's stuff.  The break their arms patting themselves on their backs with regard to new shooter training.  Thought that maybe I was wrong, but no.

Well the news is good.  Our Crime Prevention guys had boxes of Eddie Eagle stuff and Project Childsafe brochures.  None of it looks demonizing.  And yes the NRA does charge for their Eddie Eagle material.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Project Childsafe will send out enough stuff to last many lifetimes free of charge.  Pamplets, gun locks, etc.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#9]
DO NOT use Eddie the Eagle shit on Freshman. I watched those tapes when I was like 5.

You will get nothing but sleeping in them.

Make it exciting, and interesting, yet informative on safety.

Get statistics on accidental deaths and stuff like that.

maybe look on youtube and find some video about someone who died from an accidentla shooting.

Numbers dont hit home, but stories and people crying do.

Good luck to you sir, Freshman can be pretty pretty deadly, I know I was one a decade ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top