Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2010 6:45:47 PM EDT
Could Colt be using their stocks of blemished lowers for their police distributors or did mine just fall through the cracks?

This was purchased new within the last month. The camera is doing this thing a favor...it's worse in person. The rifle shoots fine.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
A Friday gun......

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Shitty finish job. I wouldn't care, especially on a department gun. As long as it does its job.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]
This is on a 6900 series rifle?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:42:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This is on a 6900 series rifle?

It's a 6920, although I don't see that stamped anywhere. Since it's a department gun, it doesn't bother me. BUT, it bothers me that these things are touted as the cream of the crop, compared to other manufacturer's, and I end up with something that looks like a Chinese knock off. Here's what it says on the receiver:

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#5]
And looking back at your first pics... is that a finish problem, or does it look like someone took a grinder to the selector area before the finish was applied?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:24:21 AM EDT
[#6]
The finish quality has gone way down hill after the availability of 6920s went up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And looking back at your first pics... is that a finish problem, or does it look like someone took a grinder to the selector area before the finish was applied?

That's exactly what happened. The anodizing is fine...it's the aluminum underneath that some toddler used to see if his dremel tool was working.

That's another thing I can't figure out. Why anodize over something that someone used as scrap?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Seeing your pics, I would have to wonder what else they didn't inspect, etc.  The Colt LE line is supposed to come off of the .mil line––high quality control.  This rifle you post pics of is absofuqqinlutely unacceptable.  Hartford Horsey... NOT.  More like Hartford Hunchback.

I can't see Colt selling "seconds" in their LE line.  Did your dept. armorer check these rifles out... or just hand out the boxes?  Do you know if other rifles came this way, as well?  Your dept. needs to get a hold of the local rep and chew some ass.

I still have my certificate for two Colt "armorer price" firearms.  I may go with the BCM after all.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Seeing your pics, I would have to wonder what else they didn't inspect, etc.  The Colt LE line is supposed to come off of the .mil line––high quality control.  This rifle you post pics of is absofuqqinlutely unacceptable.  Hartford Horsey... NOT.  More like Hartford Hunchback.

I can't see Colt selling "seconds" in their LE line.  Did your dept. armorer check these rifles out... or just hand out the boxes?  Do you know if other rifles came this way, as well?  Your dept. needs to get a hold of the local rep and chew some ass.

I still have my certificate for two Colt "armorer price" firearms.  I may go with the BCM after all.
The armorer test fired them...that was about it. I doubt mine was looked at closely. I'm a Colt armorer as well so I tore it down and made sure everything was okay...appears to be strictly cosmetic and I did put 100 rounds through it with no problems...just frustrating to see that degree of ugliness on a top shelf weapon.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#10]
looks like they ground off the selector stops, but why, i don't know...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
looks like they ground off the selector stops, but why, i don't know...

If it had safety sear pin/holes, then "4-way selector mod" would be an interesting explanation.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bingo, that's what I initially thought.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The armorer test fired them...that was about it. I doubt mine was looked at closely. I'm a Colt armorer as well so I tore it down and made sure everything was okay...appears to be strictly cosmetic and I did put 100 rounds through it with no problems...just frustrating to see that degree of ugliness on a top shelf weapon.

Free Colt.

Works fine.

Why is it that you are pouting again?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#14]
typical 6920

No shark bite on the FSB?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's exactly what happened. The anodizing is fine...it's the aluminum underneath that some toddler used to see if his dremel tool was working.

That's another thing I can't figure out. Why anodize over something that someone used as scrap?

The selector stops are gone too.  Any chance it might have had "auto" engraved on it by accident and somebody ground it and then dumped it into the semi pile?

I don't know why that lower wasn't just destroyed.  Maybe to avoid ATF paperwork?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Colt grinds the selector stops off.  I have no idea why.  You can usually see two round bumps remaining under the anodizing.  It looks like they went a little farther than usual with that one.

I don't thing it's anything suspicious like grinding off the auto mark.  It's just a crappy job at something they normally do a little better, but even their good ones are still noticeable in that area.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Colt grinds the selector stops off.  I have no idea why.  You can usually see two round bumps remaining under the anodizing.  It looks like they went a little farther than usual with that one.

I don't thing it's anything suspicious like grinding off the auto mark.  It's just a crappy job at something they normally do a little better, but even their good ones are still noticeable in that area.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool, thanks for the info.

Neither my 6920 or 6520 have them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#19]
As far as cream of the crop, yes in function and reliability.  I don't think Colt has ever been cream of the crop on looks,and I never cared.  Colt is pumping out rifles for Mil and LE and the looks might slip but I doubt quality of function and reliability has.  Its a department gun and its going to get beat up not babied.  It would not bother me.  Function is the important thing for LE work not looks.  I don't think it was over looked at Colt.  I think they believe if Its going to an Agency and getting used hard the markings on the side do not matter.

Now if it was a personal purchase I was buying.  I would look at another one or ask for a considerable discount on that rifle do to the blem.

Still you got to be happy the department did not go with another manufacturer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top