Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2002 4:08:06 PM EDT
I'm in the final steps of the LAPD hiring proccess and took a written pyschological test yesterday. There were three questions regarding firearms on the test.

1. Do you own a gun?
2. Do you subscribe to any gun magazines?
3. Do you go to gun shows?

The rest of the 1000+ questions were what you would expect in a pysch test.

What do all you LEO's think?
Did you take the same sort of test, and if so did they ask any questions about guns?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of this before.  There definitly wasn't a question like that on my psych when I took it a couple of years ago.  On the other hand, where I live I think people would be suprised if you didn't own a gun, and the question would have to ask How many guns do you own?

I wonder what kind of answers they're looking for on this question, or what they're trying to learn from it.  If those were the only three questions about firearms, they're fairly worthless anyways, as I'm sure you noticied, generally they ask the same question a bunch of different ways.  Was the test administered by the dept., or by a contractor?  When I had my psych test, there was also a follow-up interview with a psychologist.  If you have this interview, it would be interesting to know if they bring the firearms issue up, or if they try to tie it to agressiveness or something else.

dp  
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
My pysch interveiw is on Apr. 9.
Now that I think about it there was a question about hunting. It was something like "do you enjoy hunting", but I can't remember exactly how it was phrased. It was asked once or twice.

It was administered by the dept.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#3]
A buddy of mine took the LAPD psych test about 6 months ago and was asked the same questions. An officer told him after he had passed that if you own too many guns, it throws up a red flag. He only has 1 rifle, 1 shotgun, and 2 handguns- and he was still sweating it. I believe these gun questions are intended to weed out "gun-freaks" or people they feel are joining for the "wrong reasons." They'll probably be particularly interested in your answers in light of the recent fiasco involving LAPD officers illegally obtaining class III firearms. As long as you answer truthfully and aren't a wacko, you should be OK.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I am in the Background investigation quetionaire part of the Tulsa PD hiring process.
Under the "V. Criminal And Driving History -Continued" section.  Question 59 Have you ever applied for a permit to carry a concealed weapon?  No   Yes If yes, give details below

59a  If yes above, what was the date of the application?

59b  Was the request granted

59c  Name of law enforcement agency applied to:

60   Please explain the prupose for carrying the concealed weapon (also attach copy of your permit)

Answer for 60  Because I hope I never need it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I won't be making it in LAPD, I have lots of guns, get lots of gun mags, go to gun shows and worse of all participate on AR15.com!!!!!!

Its weird wouldn't you think that the police would want recruits who know firearms?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry.  Answer truthfully and you won't have any problems.

Been there and done that!

Good luck!

Joe

Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Its called the Minnesota Multi Phasic. It asks about 1500 questions many of them very similar or on a gradient, there are so many that the test takers who are not giving truthful responses forget their answers i.e. :

1. do you like drag racing
2. does speeding excite you
3. do you drive too fast
4. have you ever received a speeding ticket
5. do others tell you that you drive too fast.

When I took it as an LEO, I was very conservative (albeit truthful) about my responses,

I have since represented leo applicants who have been identified as problematic either b/c they gave conflicting answers or responded to the same types of questions differently and were deemed to be untruthful or uncandid  others b/c they show poor indicators for police work, short tempers, violence prone etc.

I do not have psych training but believe that hunting and gun questions go into the problematic box, too many and you’re out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:14:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#10]
A. They didn't confirm the results by contacting any references.
B. I couldn't appeal or counter the results. That was it.. End of story.

This is b/c this is a psych eval and not a background investigation.  Your answers are not under oath and generally reviewed and analyzed for their total or global picture and are not reviewed individually (they look at the forest not the leaves) unless, of course, you hit a real Red flag.  In some agencies you can appeal a psych determination in others you cannot...except of course in court.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#12]
The psych test will have no bearing on your polygraph so answer the question as if you were an average non gun loving middle class Californian. You can also go the route from a hunters perspective and tell them yes I have a few guns but they are for dear season only.

Most Californians are anti gun anyway, they are just brain washed by the media to look at guns as being only used by criminals and the police. You cant even find a gun mag in a grocery store anymore.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, maybe some good news.  In my experience, new applications are given new psych tests and the results of previous psych tests are not generally resurected the way the results of a background investigation are.  

This may not be true in your area, but the comments seem to suggest so.  I suggest b/f taking the next test, you read up a little on psych tests and be very conservative with your responses.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top