Posted: 3/28/2002 4:16:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Striker,

It takes us about six hours.  That is with a break thrown in so we can wait until it gets dark enough for us to shoot our dim light qualification course.  We qualify with our duty handgun, off duty handgun(s), shotgun, the above stated dim light course and starting next year the rifle.  The rifle qualification will probably make our break time a little shorter, but hey, they are paying us for 8 hours! We do not have a written test during qualification, our use of force policy is gone over once a year at our annual update training.  

During our qualification we start out with jam clearing drills and weak handed jam clearing.  

I usually do my range paperwork the next day at the beginning of my shift if I don’t start the shift out “in the hole” with an incident.

Depending on your written test length, 7 ½ hours seems petty reasonable.

Henny
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:11:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:24:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Striker, in my agency each officer is required to undergo four - four hour blocks of instruction/qualification per year.  This equates to 16 total hours a year.  IMO it still isn't enough.  This is bear minimum.  We conduct quals/training on pistol, shotgun and patrol rifle.  Of this 16 hrs, about 4 is simply state mandated quals, 4 is reduced light.  The other 8 (2 blocks of 4) is time I use to address various issues as needed: moving targets, shooting and moving, tactics, escalation/de-escalation, threat ID, etc.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Striker,... Federal BOP, in USofA, re-quals once a year, with Ruger DOA nines, ARs, and 870s. Everyone is to be considered armed officers, excepting part-timers or contract workers. We certainly experience the same problems that you have described, in some cases even with armed-post officers. The shotgun usually is treated as an afterthought with whatever time is left over. Use of force is a seperate classroom class, as is "self defence" which used to be Aikido. Who knows what they call the BS we're getting now. Basic Prisoner Transport is also a seperate class with firearms having a slightly more difficult course of fire. Very frustrating to have so-called "qualification" aimed towards the lowest common denominater, instead of some realistic degree of real-world proficiency, isn't it? When the incentive becomes something other than monetary, maybe things will change.  Hope this helps, but I fear it doesn't.Stay safe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top