Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2002 11:38:10 AM EDT
There has been some problems, operator error I'll admit, with drawing from the SSIII holster with the non shooting hand or weak hand.
Some officers recently were unable to draw their handgun from the holster with their weak hands, or non-shooting primary hand, however your agency refers to the other hand.

I would recommend that anyone carrying an SSIII holster practice drawing with their weak hand from both a standing and sitting position. Also you might consider carrying a backup handgun.

Most of us will experience a fist fight at some point in our career, and most of us will more than likely punch with our shooting hand, breaking our wrist or a bone, boxer's fracture, I know I have.

Now what, if we have to draw our handgun from a level III holster this is not the time to figure out a technique. I'm a strong,very strong advocate for backup handguns.

Just some more food for thought!

You all take good care!
Your brother in the badge,

TroDog

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:51:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I carried my level III for the first time last weekend (I work in the office now). I got it because the Level II started to fall apart, and Supply was out of Level IIs.

I drilled extensively with it. Reaction hand presentations were slow and a real bear, but I can do them. I even qualified with it, which is a requirement if you change holsters or anything on your issued weapon.

So, anyway, I decided to work a couple of night shifts doing Patrol last weekend to "stay fresh" and for the entertainment value (I can pretty much set my own hours, which is nice). No problems drawing the weapon quickly when I needed it out, but the frigging holster tore the fingernail off of the ring finger on my strong hand. Crap.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#2]
make sure you practice laying on your back as well and seated in a car, practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear about your friend Striker. A one handed fist fight is a scary place to be; with the use of force policies hanging over your head, I've been there.
An officers injury is considered part of the job, but that injury can inhibit an officers ability to end a situation with non-lethal force; in which case an imminent and life threatening situation now exists.
It is almost impossible for a jury to understand just how fast an incident can turn, it is deadly when an officer does not understand, and it is not always our fault.
It's difficult to direct a battle when your so close to it, and hand to hand is the closest I've ever been.
Your own moral attitude,and training will help you to decide when to up the level, but experience is the greatest teacher; you have to take a few hits to know what it's like and then understand for the next time.
I hope that the recovers quickly from his injury.

You all take good care,

TroDog
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top