Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2002 12:10:48 PM EDT
I work for a small public safety department in Florida. Out of ~30 sworn officers there are about six of us (tri-certs). I patrol in a Chevy Suburban (to carry all my EMS, fire, and cop crap.

My primary duty is to EMS and fire calls, although when not doing that, I can patrol (which is most of the time).

We're sort of used as a force multiplier for whatever emergency call the dept gets.

Theoretically, I can put out a car fire, trauma alert the driver to the ER, then arrest him/her for DUI.[:p]

Anyone else?

P3[pyro][^]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, nobody that I know of.  I'm also certified as an EMT-I, and we have another officer that is a EMT-B and Firefighter.  I was in EMS before I got into LE, and the other officer is a volunteer firefighter on his own time.  We definitly don't have anything like what you do, doing it all at once.  Now, the EMS crews are happy when a few of us show up, because we're at least useful, not just in the way! It seems to me that it would be very difficult to keep up with all the knowledge required for the different fields.  I think it could be a lot of fun, though!(Are you hiring?)  Do you do your own blood draws on DUI's?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It seems to me that it would be very difficult to keep up with all the knowledge required for the different fields.
View Quote

Lessee... computer training and practical training a month add up to about 8-12 hours a month - not too much.[rolleyes]

I think it could be a lot of fun, though!
View Quote

-Yeah, if you don't mind all the phucking paperwork. Really, it's a hoot sometimes. I'll be sitting at the bar at our local greasy spoon and a confused patron's eyes will dart from the gun to the paramedic patch and eventually ask
"Uh, excuse me - are you a paramedic or a cop?"
To which I answer between mouthfuls of omlet "Yes."
Persistently they'll continue "Why does a paramedic need a gun?"
In my best Jack Nicholson: "Well, we can't save everyone..."

(Are you hiring?)
View Quote

Yup. [url]www.npbdps.org[/url]

Do you do your own blood draws on DUI's?
View Quote

Yes, but only if there are injuries. The law here in Fl allows us to use reasonable / neccessary force to obtain them, too!!!!!!! [BD]

- While on the subject, I rarely have a DUI go to trial because of the medic cert & degree.

We can also do our own Baker Acts (involuntary admits for 72hr psych evals).

edditted cuz ah not b 'pelllin gude.

P3[pyro][^]

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I've gotta say, I'm impressed.
Checked out your website, and that's an impressive operation that you've got there.
If I was interested in moving to Florida, your dept. would be high up on the list.

I did think of a dept. around here, Chaffe Cty. SO, that does a little of FF and LE, although they only do wildland firefighting.  They do also do some swiftwater rescue, though. http://www.chaffeesheriff.org/

Stay safe, but have fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top