Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2010 3:47:36 PM EDT
Been watching Die Another Day, with the scene of 007 flying into the UK, reading about the foe, to the tune of "London Town".

During the Cold War, it was recommended by State not to have things with you that id'd one as military. ID in luggage, leave the "International Defense Review" elsewhere.

So what should one be reading, general topic wise, not to id them as a "cop"?
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]
"High Times"?
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Rachel Ray's magazine or maybe a Weight Watchers magazine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
rules for radicals... no one will give you any shit and yet you'll be reading the pinkocommielibtards bible, gleaning insight along the way
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 4:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]
As I was thinking about this last night, other items came to mind:......People.......Us........or, GOD FORBID, NO, NO, NO!

....................O (Oprah's magazine)

From things that would make my eyes bleed, turning me into a raving maniac, or cause me to lose my lunch.

But it's worse than just having the magazine........one would actually have to read it, in case they were quizzed on it later. Even if I said that I had not read the current issue, it would be expected that I know something about that 'world'.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends on where you're attempting to blend in at.

Professionals? Businessweek,Newsweek, TIME, Forbes, etc, along with other niche mags that would apply to your cover.(med journals, desing mags, etc.)

Blue collar?  Popular Mechanics, Car and Driver, Good Housekeeping, Entertainment Weekly, newstand tabloids. Again, whatever
niche you were looking to infiltrate.

Hope this helps.

ETA: I forgot the good old fashioned newspaper. Just don't cut out the eye-holes and you should be good.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Any type of fiction.  Even a cop novel wouldn't tag you...
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:33:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Depends on where you're attempting to blend in at.

Professionals? Businessweek,Newsweek, TIME, Forbes, etc, along with other niche mags that would apply to your cover.(med journals, desing mags, etc.)

Blue collar?  Popular Mechanics, Car and Driver, Good Housekeeping, Entertainment Weekly, newstand tabloids. Again, whatever
niche you were looking to infiltrate.

Hope this helps.

ETA: I forgot the good old fashioned newspaper. Just don't cut out the eye-holes and you should be good.

A lot of it does and it does depend on what one is trying to achieve. in the Cold War, it was not to be an American, neither to be a target nor a high value hostage if the plane were to be taken. Incidently, on the newspaper? The recommendation was to have a foreign language one.

As far as who I'm looking to infiltrate.....interesting point though I don't think I've ever done that in a major way. Just that with my various degrees and areas of intense study, I can pretty well assume a mind set pretty quickly for any of a number of subjects. Except popular culture...that's my Serena Complex. Further, that point was rather reinforced when I was getting my CJ Masters when they pointed out they were very open to what courses we took for electives......"Okay, so you took that course to get the necessary background."

But it is a good point. Years ago when I was talking with lesbians, I could do it comfortably even though most of what I said of interest came from "On Our Backs".....though I'm not likely to be reading that on an aircraft...if at all. When we parted company back in the last century, my tummy had had enough of it.

Quoted: Any type of fiction.  Even a cop novel wouldn't tag you...

That's not a bad notion.......though it might be a book that I will want to have no interest in ever going back to. Seems to me that whatever I read on planes in the past I never bothered going back to it again, maybe because of the situation of the trip, maybe because of the stress, but whatever, books left behind.
("His history is in encapsulated form in chapter nine of this book. Try to read it before talking to anyone on the flight."––Firm Agent Fey handing the hard cover over to Hawke on his flight into Libya, (w,stte), AirWolf pilot movie)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top