Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2010 1:11:34 PM EDT
Third attempt on one of the members. The pics of the last one are floating around and the officer was very lucky the round missed.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anti-Gang Police Officer's Car Booby Trapped With Deadly Device
Saturday, March 06, 2010  

An anti-gang officer in Hemet, Calif., discovered a deadly device attached to his car Friday — in what appears to be the third attempt in the past two months to injure or kill members of an anti-gang unit in southwest Riverside County, MyFoxLA.com reported.

An officer with the Hemet/San Jacinto Gang Task Force called for back-up after discovering a threatening device next to his car, parked outside of a store. Authorities cordoned off the intersection near the vehicle while a bomb unit disabled the instrument.

The explosive device had been affixed to the vehicle prior to the officer's drive to the store, Hemet police Lt. Duane Wisehart told MyFoxLA.com.

"We're not releasing what type of device it was," Wisehart said. "All we can say is it would have killed or injured the officer if it had done what it was supposed to do."

Authorities have not yet named a suspect.

The booby trap comes months after authorities discovered a natural gas line on the roof of the task force's headquarters building had been redirected into the facility — filling it with gas, which could have caused an explosion. In February, an anti-gang officer was opening a gate at the task force's office when he was nearly struck by a bullet that was part of a booby trap triggered when the gate moved, MyFoxLA.com reported.

The task force is now operating from an undisclosed location.

The Riverside County Board of Supervisors approved a $100,000 reward for information leading to the capture of whoever is responsible for the previous two attacks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Hemet - An anti-gang officer in Hemet discovered today that a device had been attached to his car with potentially deadly consequences –– in what appears to be the third attempt in two months to injure or kill members of an anti-gang unit in southwest Riverside County.

According to Hemet police, around 8 a.m., a member of the Hemet/San Jacinto Gang Task Force parked his unmarked vehicle next to an AM/PM store at 298 S. Sanderson Ave. and spotted a threatening device adjacent to the car.

The Hemet police officer immediately cleared the area and requested the sheriff's bomb squad to investigate, said Hemet police Lt. Duane Wisehart.

Authorities cordoned off the intersection of Sanderson and Acacia avenues and closed access to the area from surrounding streets and parking lots, Wisehart said.

"We're not releasing what type of device it was," he told City News Service. "All we can say is it would have killed or injured the officer if it had done what it was supposed to do."

According to the lieutenant, the explosive device had been affixed to the officer's vehicle prior to his arriving at the mini mart.

The sheriff's bomb unit disabled the instrument, and the area was reopened to traffic around 1 p.m., Wisehart said.

No suspects have been identified.

The task force, which is comprised of Riverside County sheriff's deputies, Hemet police officers and other law enforcement officials, has been targeted twice before.

On Dec. 31, authorities discovered that a natural gas line on the roof of the task force's headquarters building had been redirected into the facility, filling it with gas, which could have caused an explosion.

On Feb. 23, an anti-gang officer was opening a gate at the task force's office in the 500 block of Saint John Place when he was nearly struck by a bullet that was part of a booby trap triggered when the gate moved.

The task force is now operating from an undisclosed location.

On Tuesday, the Riverside County Board of Supervisors approved a $100,000 reward for information leading to the capture of whoever is responsible for the previous two attacks.

"I'd like to think the money will lead us to the people doing this," said Wisehart. "There's no honor among thieves, so hopefully someone will give it up."

He said the threats not only create undue stress, but tear investigators away from other cases.

"Some things end up on the back-burner when you've got this kind of intense investigation," Wisehart said.

Authorities suspect area gangs are behind the attacks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think that would be enough to re-direct the priorities of the PD and other LEO agencies in the area.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It seems like gang members are getting brave nowadays
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It seems like gang members are getting brave nowadays

A little too brave and organized.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't AMPM have some security cameras in the parking lot?  nobody saw anything??  

At least they know they've gotta be on there toes!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Its going to get interesting between them and the islamics' here in America.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I met a Riv County based drug unit member (not sure if he was county, a city or even a federal) but it was at a surplus store and he was talking to the lady at the counter to pick up some stuff for ghille suits because its that dangerous in some areas.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Ghillie suit won't help you do squat.

Unless there is some open field snipers being taken out, there is no rush to buy the suits!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I met a Riv County based drug unit member (not sure if he was county, a city or even a federal) but it was at a surplus store and he was talking to the lady at the counter to pick up some stuff for ghille suits because its that dangerous in some areas.

That doesn't make sense.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't make sense.  

Unless they are planning on pre-deploying sniper assets prior to an operation or plan on some long range surveillance from semi-open terrain.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats what I figured, he had a sniper patch on his duty uniform.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Hope the good guys get these pos locked up, and put away before a good guy gets hurt.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't make sense.  

Unless they are planning on pre-deploying sniper assets prior to an operation or plan on some long range surveillance from semi-open terrain.

Drug / Gang task forces do not operate that way.  They don't have snipers.  Long range surveillance would be accomplished differently.  How do I know?  My last assignment was a southern California drug/gang task force.  They also wouldn't be buying equipment from a surplus store.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

His duty uniform would have stated what agency / task force he was from.  I think you might have encountered a poser.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

His duty uniform would have stated what agency / task force he was from.  I think you might have encountered a poser.

Never seen any with the word "sniper" on them anyways.

Sniper is a assigned spot and one that isn't always used. Sure, we have dedicated snipers, but I have never seen anyone wear a cheesy patch.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually to be honest, I did see a unit patch, but I assumed saying the name on an open forum would violate opsec, I'm not a LEO, so I wanted to err on the side of caution, and it was a tab that said sniper, very similar to how the army does it.  Anywho, this was many months ago.  All in all it would appear that this team is doing its job well if they are getting this much attention from the gangs..

Mark
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Actually to be honest, I did see a unit patch, but I assumed saying the name on an open forum would violate opsec, I'm not a LEO, so I wanted to err on the side of caution, and it was a tab that said sniper, very similar to how the army does it.  Anywho, this was many months ago.  All in all it would appear that this team is doing its job well if they are getting this much attention from the gangs..

Mark

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn. I used to live in Hemet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark

I'm not pulling a fast one on you, honest
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:34:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't make sense.  

My guess.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#21]
It still doesn't make sense.  THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BE BUYING EQUIPMENT FROM A SURPLUS STORE.  The technology available to the task forces makes this unnecessary.  They do not have snipers in a drug task force.  Surveillance is accomplished by very different means.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:33:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It still doesn't make sense.  THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BE BUYING EQUIPMENT FROM A SURPLUS STORE.  The technology available to the task forces makes this unnecessary.  They do not have snipers in a drug task force.  Surveillance is accomplished by very different means.  

Dude might be a Sniper on a SWAT team and also envolved in a drug task force. Smaller agencies do this cross training all the time.  I have bought crap myself for LE duties at Surplus stores, usually when the boss complains about footing the bill.  For example, they would not exactly purchase me a gillie suit if I asked...... not that I need one.

All drug task forces are not set up the same or have the same budgets.  

I have no problems believing the story about the Sniper.  I have personally seen Officers with a Sniper patch in Kansas.  They were employed by a large city SWAT team.  

I do question how a gillie suit can protect you?  It provides concealment but no protection.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude might be a Sniper on a SWAT team and also envolved in a drug task force. Smaller agencies do this cross training all the time.  I have bought crap myself for LE duties at Surplus stores, usually when the boss complains about footing the bill.  For example, they would not exactly purchase me a gillie suit if I asked...... not that I need one.

All drug task forces are not set up the same or have the same budgets.  

I have no problems believing the story about the Sniper.  I have personally seen Officers with a Sniper patch in Kansas.  They were employed by a large city SWAT team.  

I do question how a gillie suit can protect you?  It provides concealment but no protection.  

Dude.  I give up.  I worked the area, I was in a drug / gang task force.  It doesn't work that way in Southern California.  A legit sniper would be provided all of his gear through the agency.  The amount of sophisticated surveillance equipment available through WISN/NIN and DOJ would surprise you.   California is the land of liability. Maybe things are different in Kansas.   I'm calling Walter Mitty on this one.

ETA:  Smaller agencies might contribute one or two Officers/Deputies to the task force.  I doubt that someone with a sniper assignment would be assigned to a task force in Southern California.  A sniper has to be available 24/7 for that assignment.  Screwing up a surveillance, drug buy, or an entry because the sniper has to respond to a SWAT situation isn't going to work well with a task force.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top