Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2002 8:09:52 AM EDT
Or should I say "two steps forword, ten steps backword!"

Looks like a bunch of Kalif LEO's forged Dept letter head approvals to buy AW's.

What timing!  Right after SB23 is amended to allow LEO's to purchase AW's, this story breaks. Good luck in asking for a Dept letter head stating that you are approved for an AW purchse now.

The combination of the words, "letter head" and "AW" will go over like fart in church with most Dept heads for a long time.

I was just getting ready to ask for one to!

The only possible positive note is that maybe some one might get the message that these AW law's are so stupid that the LEO's have a hard time following them and are even willing to relate to criminal actvity to by pass them.

We all need to fight the good fight to repeal and change such worthless law's, but this is not the way to do it!
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Before you go flying off high and to the right, you might want to wait and get the correct info.  Chief Parks indicated that the investigation was centering on the FFL as the possible forger, not the officers.  The story just broke and no two new agencies have the same take on the story.  It could change, though.

Your comments from the third line on about getting approval now is right on target...unless your chief has a brain.

Additional info:

KFI reported that one active LASD deputy, one retired officer from an un-named agency and the FFL holder in question have been arrested in connection with this investigation.

Developing...
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Dave

Do u know what they were buying le ar's or some class III stuff? cause u can get an le ar without a letterhead.From a few places.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Is a California/Federal assault weapon thing where california requires paper for any CA Aw and both California and the Feds require paperwork for a Federal AW.  Individual officers cannot legally purchase any new, unregistered machinegun.  Paperwork is required for legal transfer of an LE Only Assault Weapon.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Dave I hope you are right, but all the scuttle-butt that I hear indicates that it looks pretty bad for a lot of officers.

Some of it comes from the (very unreliable)press and some from various LEO's(they can also pass on bum scoop).  I hate to say it, but I have no doubt that some LEO heads will roll.

I hope that Parks is standing up for his Officers, it's kinda his job if the Officers are not involved in seriouse criminal activity.
I'm sure he is also trying to do a lot of dammage control.  He is up for re-appointment and this won't help his allready trarnished reputation.

Reguardless, unless you have a very understanding Sheriff or Chief you can kiss an AW approval away.  At least untill long after this dust has cleared.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#5]
If officers were dumb enough to commit a felony that by definition leaves a paper trail, then they are too stupid to do a job that involves traking down criminals.  It is unfortunate that their actions, if illegal, make for bad publicity for the rest of us.

It appears from the media reporting that I've seen to this point that most of the sales they are looking at are Federal issues, not state, as the BATF apparently wishes to pursue prosecution now, but that could change.  These would then appear to be post 9/13/1994 921(a)(30) semiautomatic assault weapons.  If the weapons are 922(v)(2) exempt 921(a)(30) AW's, then we'll see how eager BATF is to force the officers to prove the exempt status on defense.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Snaggle Tooth...Don't be afraid to ask. If you don't that means these guys won. You need to show that it is ok, and is still important to give out. I just heard about this today from a friend. Then came to the site and read your post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top