Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 1:58:21 PM EDT
My daughter is 11 and I'd REALLY like her to know how to use and be safe around firearms. She has shot the 10/22 and I thought she had a good time. Now she has no interest in it at all. Soooooo I guess the question is.... Should I just let it go or should I try to get her to go more often?

I don't want to ruin it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Invite her to go with you but don't push it. My dad didn't even do that and trust me, just making the effort is worth it. Kids gain and lose and gain again interests quickly at that age.

Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Another thing is to be prepared for a short attention span. Even when they want to go, sometimes they're done more quickly than we expect. Be ready to pack up and do something else so that the entire experience stays fun for her.

Oh yeah; I'm no lady, but my answer is based on my experiences when my daughter was little. A day of shooting often turned out to be an hour of shooting, and then a mixture of throwing rocks the river, picking up Mussel shells, catching snakes etc. Variety kept it fun, and kept her wanting to go again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Another thing is to be prepared for a short attention span. Even when they want to go, sometimes they're done more quickly than we expect. Be ready to pack up and do something else so that the entire experience stays fun for her.

Oh yeah; I'm no lady, but my answer is based on my experiences when my daughter was little. A day of shooting often turned out to be an hour of shooting, and then a mixture of throwing rocks the river, picking up Mussel shells, catching snakes etc. Variety kept it fun, and kept her wanting to go again.

+1

Don't push it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:33:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Kind of what I thought. Keep her interest but don't push it.

Thanks to all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top