Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2009 10:37:17 AM EDT
A friend of mine needs to ask the girl he wants to spend the rest of his life with to marry him.

This friend needs 'how' ideas.

The girl feels the same way so it's not exactly a surprise (so he tells me ) but still my friend thinks she deserves a cool proposal.

My friend really needs help here

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#1]
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  (to your friend, of course.  )

there are so many ways - what you need is something perfect for the two of you.  what was 100% perfect for me wouldn't have been for most everyone else I know.

speak from your heart.  look her in the eyes.  speak to the past, the present and the future.  (mention when you met or things that have happened over the course of your time dating, tell her how she makes you feel daily, and speak of your hopes for the future...  for the future-future...  like, "when I'm 90 and rocking on the front porch, I want to look over and see you in the rocking chair next to me..."  or "I can't wait to see the faces of our grandchildren..."  future-future...)

again, ymmv, my $0.02, and all that.  I was swept off my feet by a Fort Worth, old-school, deep-voiced, critter-loving, country boy, and I have a feeling you're a bit different than him.    be yourself.  that's who she loves.  

and tell us how it went...  I love that stuff.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A friend of mine needs to ask the girl he wants to spend the rest of his life with to marry him.

The girl feels the same way so it's not exactly a surprise (so he tells me ) but still my friend thinks she deserves a cool proposal.

Howsa 'bout some information regarding the couple in question?

What is special to one person will seem dorky to another and so on....
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Howsa 'bout some information regarding the couple in question?

What is special to one person will seem dorky to another and so on....

she's exactly like him, except she's a girl and gorgeous.

Gun-loving, patriotic, conservative, religious ... perfect.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you know how she would like to be proposed to? Some girls dig the gushy romantic dinner that leads up to the question on one knee in a fancy restaurant. Other chicks, like myself, can appreciate the guy blurting out in the middle of a parking lot after shopping for said engagement ring "I love you, Will you marry me?"

Yes, he had me pick out the ring first, then proposed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#5]
she's a very 'you take care of it' type.
she did say she'd say no if he did the ballgame-proposal.

If he had his way he'd arrange for a line-dancing flash mob.
she's HARD into country and cowboy boots and line dancing.
she would love that, but impossible to arrange up here in ny.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
she's a very 'you take care of it' type.
she did say she'd say no if he did the ballgame-proposal.

If he had his way he'd arrange for a line-dancing flash mob.
she's HARD into country and cowboy boots and line dancing.
she would love that, but impossible to arrange up here in ny.

if she's country, arrange for a horseback ride and maybe some good barbecue...  (beef, of course.)  nothing says I love you like sauce on your fingers.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#7]
she is into horses, but the only horses here are in central park and they carry their poo with them and its hard to ignore that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]

You've talked about getting married, you know you both want to get married and spend your lives together, you've talked about having kids, you've pledged your undying love. The only thing she doesn't know is when it's coming.

Men, the time between when she knows you'll give her a ring and the moment when you actually give it to her can be one of the greatest times of your life! Have some fun! Keep her guessing, plan the moment well, and when she least expects it, spring your wonderful surprise.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

she is into horses, but the only horses here are in central park and they carry their poo with them and its hard to ignore that.

Up the river, a bit, from NYC...

http://www.westpointmwr.com/ACTIVITY/MORGAN/pricing_09.htm

Morgan Farm Riding Lessons

Open to the General Public

Morgan Farm is offering both group and individual lessons, for beginner through advanced riders, at very reasonable rates. Students learn basic horsemanship, equipment, and riding techniques in either the English or Western style.

Western

The history of Western style riding is rooted in the days of the Old West. The western saddle can be very ornate, made of tooled leather and metal or colorful trim, and also has a horn at its front. To the novice rider, the horn may seem like a safety handle, but it's actually where cowboys tie their ropes. Western riding is seen in rodeos and barrel racing.

English

English riders are easily recognized by their helmets, riding breeches and high black boots. The English saddle is made of smooth leather, metal stirrups, and has no horn. English riding is often associated with jumping and chase events.

LESSONS:
GROUP 1/2 HR. CRD HORSE $20.00
GROUP 1 HR CRD HORSE $28.00
GROUP 1 HR. OWN HORSE $24.00
GROUP 1/2 HR. OWN HORSE $20.00
PRIVATE 1/2 HR. CRD HORSE $24.00
PRIVATE 1 HR. CRD HORSE $34.00
PRIVATE 1 HR. OWN HORSE $30.00
PRIVATE 1/2 HR. OWN HORSE $24.00
SEMIPVT 1/2 HR. CRD HORSE $22.00 PER PERSON
SEMIPVT 1 HR. CRD HORSE $30.00 PER PERSON
SEMIPVT 1 HR. OWN HORSE $26.00 PER PERSON
SEMIPVT 1/2 HR. OWN HORSE $22.00 PER PERSON
ADD $2.00 MORE FOR NON-DOD PER HOUR

HORSE RENTALS:
DOD CIVILIANS AND MILITARY $22.00 PER HOUR
NON-DOD CIVILIANS $24.00 PR HOUR
GUIDED TRAIL RIDES:
DOD CIVILIANS AND MILITARY $28.00 PER HOUR
NON-DOD CIVILIAN $26.00 PER HOUR
HORSE BOARDING:
Morgan Farms offers 4 different options to choose from.
For specifics, please contact Morgan Farms at

(845) 938-3926.
FULL CARE $420.00 Per month
PARTIAL CARE $315.00 Per month
SELF-CARE $185.00 Per month/
Non-DoD Civillians add Add $20.00 per month to the above rates
HORSE TRAILER RENTAL: $30.00 PER 24 HOURS
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you recreate your first or best date?  

Go somewhere that you guys have talked about a million times, but never done?

My SO popped the question on a day that was particularly shitty for me at school and it was completely unexpected, so you could wait until she has a craptastic day and spring it on her.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#11]
time frame is tight, she knows its coming sometime this weekend, and she will pick up something out of the ordinary...  

I may go with the surprise country singers on the boardwalk.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
time frame is tight, she knows its coming sometime this weekend, and she will pick up something out of the ordinary...  

I may go with the surprise country singers on the boardwalk.

that would be very cool.    at an unexpected, very normal time was perfect for us...  we take delight in the daily moments, not only in the "wham bang" moments.  

you DO realize you gave yourself away, though...  "I may go" instead of "HE may go..."  

congrats, man.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]

yeah we walk on boardwalks alot at night....  it would be a mini hired flash mob, I could hire 6-10 guys to just be walking on the boardwalk randomly then group together, one guy throws me a massive bouquet then they all start singing 'whatever it is' and I get down on one knee, give my shpeil, and the rest is history.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

yeah we walk on boardwalks alot at night....  it would be a mini hired flash mob, I could hire 6-10 guys to just be walking on the boardwalk randomly then group together, one guy throws me a massive bouquet then they all start singing 'whatever it is' and I get down on one knee, give my shpeil, and the rest is history.

I approve.  my eyes are watery and everything.    she's a very lucky girl to get you.  know that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Did you mean shpeil or schlong?  

Sorry....couldn't resist.  Congratulations.  Sounds like a good plan......but, what do i know.......I married the first woman who would even date me.  Mazel Tov!

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the plan, now I have to find a band or singers that can do this.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you mean shpeil or schlong?

Sorry....couldn't resist.  Congratulations.  Sounds like a good plan......but, what do i know.......I married the first woman who would even date me.  Mazel Tov!

we're very orthodox jews.

as the young girls say - 'nuh-uh'

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:45:13 AM EDT
[#18]
thinking the boardwalk might be toooo much of a something's coming giveaway, so considerring teh same plan but with a fake pullover.

I have a good friend who'll help me out with his crown vic......
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#19]
"Angel, when I'm gunned down by federal agents for that fake grenade on my office desk, I want you to be the widow who mourns me after throwing my ashes at the skeet range."

Or even better. "Honey, I want to be the one to cover you while you reload."

Seriously, congrats.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I actually used hank hill on her
When she asked me to take her shooting (ok to go shooting with her!) I retold the line:

Bobby: Can I keep my new gun in my room?
Hank: Sure.
Bobby: Can I keep the bullets in my pocket?
Hank: If you want.
Bobby: Can I put a gun rack on my bike.
(Hank stops, looks at Bobby and pauses)
Hank: Do you know how long I've been waiting for you to ask me that?

I never in a millions years would have believed that that they made ultra-orthodox girls like this one.  
I've literally been waiting 29 years for her.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
<snip>
I never in a millions years would have believed that that they made ultra-orthodox girls like this one.  
I've literally been waiting 29 years for her.

aren't you SO GLAD you didn't settle???  He has always known your match.  He has made you for her and her for you.  Enjoy the beauty of that.  

and congrats again, man.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Congratulations Joe!!!

Good Luck man!

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#23]
It's been 4 days, we need a update.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's been 4 days, we need a update.

it's not the weekend yet.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#25]
OK, update of sorts here - no details, but she said yes.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Should I assume then that he didn't lead with my skeet idea?

All I got this weekend was a free $44 rent credit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#27]
yup - she said yes - they are in Miami @ her folks - gonna have a party tomorrow night

I am trying to fly down but terrified of flying - I kinda wanna be there

I will leave it up to chapper to post pics.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

the proposal involved two of chappers most favorite things.....
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Key components: Starbucks, a psycho taxi driver, a big bunch of red heart baloons, the zac brown band and ..... Toilet paper.

More later :-)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#30]
We were on our way to the airport and I told the taxi to stop at our local starbucks so I could use the can.

I had prearranged
1) 15 heart balloons
2) a CD player with ZBB's and "Whatever It Is" and got the manager to turn off the music there
3) a friend who's a great photographer

I had the taxi park where she couldn't see in, got everything ready and then called her:
"Um Mrs.Soon-to-be-chapperjoe, this is kind of embarrassing.  I'm out of toilet paper and stuck in the bathroom. I have some in my bag can you bring it to me?"

SHE ACTUALLY BROUGHT IT TO ME!!!!!

Whereupon she found me not in the bathroom, but on bended knee with the balloons and music.

She had figured I was doign it monday and she was gonna mess with me, but I got her good cause it was early morning adn the TP put her way off balance.

She eeked out a "yes" after alllllllllmost losing it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#31]
here you go.  one pic.

there are more, but OPSEC!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#32]
That is fantastic!! I love picture and I love how you plotted it all out. The TP part is just priceless. She will never forget that.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Aw!  Toilet paper... my early life with my husband involved a toilet paper episode, too, but it wasn't a good memory.  I was such a sensitive new bride that when he began to tell me the following, I almost started to cry.  I was shocked.

Hubby comes out of bathroom grumbling, "Man, she uses a TOO MUCH toilet paper!  Honey, come here."  While in the hallway of a mobile home, I'm standing close to my husband who has one square of tissue paper in his hand.  He informs me that I use too much toilet paper and that one square was enough.  (I'm mortified.)  

"Here, I'll show you.  You rip of one corner, then stick your finger through the middle like this.  Then you wipe like this.  Now, to clean your finger you pull the square off your finger (be sure to used the toilet paper to wipe your finger clean as you pull it off."  

Then he whips out the corner he'd torn off and shows me how to clean under the nail with it.  It wasn't until then that I realized he was messing with me.  Argh!  Trauma.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Aw!  Toilet paper... my early life with my husband involved a toilet paper episode, too, but it wasn't a good memory.  I was such a sensitive new bride that when he began to tell me the following, I almost started to cry.  I was shocked.

Hubby comes out of bathroom grumbling, "Man, she uses a TOO MUCH toilet paper!  Honey, come here."  While in the hallway of a mobile home, I'm standing close to my husband who has one square of tissue paper in his hand.  He informs me that I use too much toilet paper and that one square was enough.  (I'm mortified.)  

"Here, I'll show you.  You rip of one corner, then stick your finger through the middle like this.  Then you wipe like this.  Now, to clean your finger you pull the square off your finger (be sure to used the toilet paper to wipe your finger clean as you pull it off."  

Then he whips out the corner he'd torn off and shows me how to clean under the nail with it.  It wasn't until then that I realized he was messing with me.  Argh!  Trauma.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#35]
a few more since y'all helped out alot.

yes i needed to practice.  I could not breathe, much less see straight.
In the end, I just spoke what came to me.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#36]
that was PERFECT.  well done, man.    that was just perfect.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:45:43 AM EDT
[#38]
shes a southern girl so you know she shoots better than us,... congrats again buddy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top