Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 6:11:43 PM EDT
Insects like her.  A LOT.

In fact, she is why no one else around her gets bitten by anything; all the mosquitoes go after her.

Deep Woods OFF! doesn't work.

Do any of you ladies have any recommendations?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
My mom sprinkles sulfur on herself before she goes out. Chiggers love my mom and that seems to help her.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My mom sprinkles sulfur on herself before she goes out. Chiggers love my mom and that seems to help her.

Does she just dust herself with it, or make some kind of ointment, or what?

Doesn't it smell like....sulfur?

ETA:  "Sprinkles" (reading comprehension...I not has it tonihgt)  How much, and where?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know how much, but she bought it at gardening stores. I think Home Depot and Lowe's carries it. And yes, it does smell like sulfur, but you don't need a ton of it for it to work. It should be sprinkled on lightly. I would do a test area before putting it on her whole body to make sure she doesn't have a reaction to it.

Also, I don't know if you have tried this yet or not, but I have heard good stuff about it. Skin So Soft

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Skin-so-soft gives her a rash (hard to believe for Avon, I know Briskette knows)
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I am allergic to fragrances, so I understand what Briskette is going through. Anything with a fragrance in it makes me break out too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The sulfur is put in a sock and dusted around the bottom of your pants to protect from chiggers and ticks.  Read that DEET is the best spray.

I'm curious why some people attract bugs.  There has to be something in their makeup (chemical or heat output, don't know) that makes them taste like cupcakes to bugs.  I, thankfully, am bug broccoli.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It isn't going to go over well, but try having her eat more garlic. I read that has repellant qualities to it. It also repels humans, if used in excess.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
could treat her clothes with permitherin..

PTK
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
If OFF! doesn't work, try another brand with at least 40% DEET. Or you can mix your own with a bottle of the 100% stuff, just don't apply the concentrate directly to the skin.

Quoted:

It isn't going to go over well, but try having her eat more garlic. I read that has repellant qualities to it. It also repels humans, if used in excess.

Hey, what's wrong with Garlic!?

Just be sure she doesn't eat too eat too much or it can do funny things to her heart/blood.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:06:51 AM EDT
[#10]
First question is if she's wearing any perfumes or body sprays? Hair spray, maybe?
That's a no-no if misquitos love ya. She should probably pass on that if she's going to be outdoors.

Other than that what Tony-Ri said. Try different brands.

I did know a guy who drank vinegar to keep bugs away. Worked but I douby she wants to smell like that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:36:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Wasnt there something on unused dryer sheets keeping skeeters away.  Just by tying it on a bet loop or rubbing it on yourself?
I dont know if it works but you can try it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I have used Downy dryer sheets before and had good luck with them... rub yourself down with one and then stick it in a belt loop or pin it somewhere on your clothes.  

steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top