Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2009 5:33:25 AM EDT
I'm in my 30's, lost a bunch of weight and want to get out, seriously date and hopefully find a LTR in the process. My problem is I have like no clue when it comes to clothes, what matches what or where to go to buy good quality stuff. This stems from being overweight all my life and when my esteem was in the gutter and didn't care. That's all behind me now. I have no problem approaching women or making a good impression but now I want to turn it up a notch.

I'm in my 30's, 5'10", around 170 and have a 32" waist.

I'm trying to get tips from all over so I intend to take a female friend or two out shopping with me but I figured it can't hurt to get advice from multiple sources.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#1]
A. Make lotsa moola.

B. Keep workin out and get buff.

C. Chicks won't care what you wear. (Least not 'til she marries ya.)
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you be attentive to detail?

Because I wouldn't want to tell you what is in style for guys in this area, it would have no bearing on what is fashionable in NC. I say its different because I have lived in 6 states and that's my experience.

Instead I would reccommend you look around at what well-groomed men are wearing in you income bracket. That's your best indicator.

Of course there is the contigent that will tell you to always wear a t-shirt, flannel or plaid and jeans. An excellent combination for getting work done but I like to see a man who can wear both. Meaning someone who know how to get dirty and get work done but cleans up nice, and knows when to wear dress clothes.

Oh, and be careful not to go for the women who are shallow. Makes it hard to live with them for 30yrs unless you are too.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't try too hard to be "fashionable" but also don't try to hard to be the "I'm happy looking like a slob" guy.

Get a couple of pairs of nice slacks (sans pockets, save those for the range / camping), shoes and belts that match, various types of shirts ( a couple of polos, some dress shirts, some warmer stuff).  Buy jeans that aren't designed for fat people or 19 tear olds. Get socks that will coordinate with the pants.

Every brand, style, etc. fits differently - you may need to spend a lot of time up front figuring out what brands work for you.

Make sure what you do wear fits you, is cleaned, and not wrinkled.

Women love to dress their men as if they are a giant Ken doll, so if you plan on snaring one, save some of the wardrobe for them.

I say all this, but I think I was wearing a t-shirt, cargo shorts, and sandals when I met my wife.  I was also drunk (though she claims to this day it wasn't obvious).  Sometimes the rules don't apply.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Can you be attentive to detail?

Because I wouldn't want to tell you what is in style for guys in this area, it would have no bearing on what is fashionable in NC. I say its different because I have lived in 6 states and that's my experience.

Instead I would reccommend you look around at what well-groomed men are wearing in you income bracket. That's your best indicator.

Of course there is the contigent that will tell you to always wear a t-shirt, flannel or plaid and jeans. An excellent combination for getting work done but I like to see a man who can wear both. Meaning someone who know how to get dirty and get work done but cleans up nice, and knows when to wear dress clothes.

Oh, and be careful not to go for the women who are shallow. Makes it hard to live with them for 30yrs unless you are too.

YMMV
I would say the same thing, look closely at what others in your area are wearing and go for that.

I prefer simpler looks, so my taste in fashion is not what would be called higher class..

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I am with the other gals. I don't like "fashionable" men, but I do like the to look their age and to look decent. I prefer clothing that fits over what's in style. Just go to the grocery store or to the mall and pay attention to what guys  your age are dressing like. I would imagine it is something like what Bohr said.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
fashionable tee shirts are always easy. Go to ROSS and get good deals on designer cast-offs. Layering is good... a nice tee shirt under a pinstriped collared shirt. That kind of thing.

Don't overdo it on the jeans. Jeans with tasteful fading looks nice... don't get the ones with teh ghey pockets.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:19:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice.

I've been hitting places like TJ Maxx where I've picked up some nice shirts for next to nothing. And there is a Ross in the same location that I haven't ventured into yet so I'll definitely check them out as well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I so miss Grrrrrranimals from Sears.  Match the giraffe to giraffe and zebra to the zebra and you'll always match.  Now I rely on my wife to dress me.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have access to some women's mags like Cosmo, pick them up and thumb through them to see how the men are dressed. You don't necessarily have to order clothes from the stores they mention, but it will give you an idea of what looks good together. Then you can go to Ross or Burlington Coat Factory and get similar items for much less.
And don't forget to post pics of you sporting your new wardrobe.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you have access to some women's mags like Cosmo, pick them up and thumb through them to see how the men are dressed. You don't necessarily have to order clothes from the stores they mention, but it will give you an idea of what looks good together. Then you can go to Ross or Burlington Coat Factory and get similar items for much less.

And don't forget to post pics of you sporting your new wardrobe.

A before and after is preferable!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Don't go to department stores, don't read cosmo, don't wear what guys in your area are wearing.

Pick up 5.11s/carrharts in a variety of shades. Pair with polos and t shirts, untucked and loose enough for CC. Complete look with boots, cap, oakleys, murse/backpack.

Oh, and make sure your hair is cut. Short.

Do it now. And post pics.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Don't go to department stores, don't read cosmo, don't wear what guys in your area are wearing.

Pick up 5.11s/carrharts in a variety of shades. Pair with polos and t shirts, untucked and loose enough for CC. Complete look with boots, cap, oakleys, murse/backpack.

She almost has it. Tuck in your shirt and wear a belt. Damn hippies.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

She almost has it. Tuck in your shirt and wear a belt. Damn hippies.

The belt is a given. The shirt stays untucked for CC purposes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you'd be surprised how many guys my age have no idea what a belt is or its function.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think you'd be surprised how many guys my age have no idea what a belt is or its function.

The belt is a device that holds up your holster. Incidentally, it can also be used to hold up your pants.

ARC, how do you carry a gun with your shirt tucked in?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The belt is a device that holds up your holster. Incidentally, it can also be used to hold up your pants.

You either use a tuckable holster, a deep concealment holster, an ankle holster, off-body carry, or *gasp* don't carry at all.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well first of all, I'm almost 19, so usually, in my glove box.

Actually I'm all about the open carry. I prefer my shirt tucked in. It looks good on some guys, because of my body shape, it just looks sloppy on me, I think.

If I were to carry concealed, I would use a shoulder rig, I.E. the belt wouldn't necessarily be obvious, but I understand your point.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 on seeing what is in style for your area.  Also, doesn't hurt to go to a mens clothing store (boutique-upper end style, or mall stores) and see what they have on the shelves and mannequins.  If you can enlist some help from the opposite sex, this helps alot.  

Here's where I would start:
-Get 2-3 good pairs of jeans (Sevens/Lucky/Polo/BKE- depending on budget), in different wash/http://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=write&b=1&f=71&t=885849&r=-1&page=1&x=classic&pvID=885849&pt=t#colors.  Only worry about how they fit above the knees.  Go ahead and get these altered in the inseam to get a good fit.      
-Do the same for black and khaki slacks/pants.
-Buy a few polos, fashion t-shirts, and cool button-ups
-Shoes- Black/Brown Dress, Black/Brown Casual, and a good pair of leather flip-flops
-Belts- Black/Brown Dress, Brown Casual.

Oh, and if your in a metropolitan area that has outlet malls, these are great to shop at.  Definitely save some money shopping here.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You either use a tuckable holster, a deep concealment holster, an ankle holster, off-body carry, or *gasp* don't carry at all.

I'll give you the tuckable/deep concealment holster, but you have to admit that it'll take longer to draw and  represents a compromise. Why do it unless you absolutely have to?

An ankle holster is for your BUG, not your primary.

The other two, unacceptable.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I'm all about the open carry. I prefer my shirt tucked in. It looks good on some guys, because of my body shape, it just looks sloppy on me, I think.

If I were to carry concealed, I would use a shoulder rig, I.E. the belt wouldn't necessarily be obvious, but I understand your point.

I forgot you were a baby! Awww...

Try a shoulder rig, then try a belt, I'm pretty sure you'll prefer it. More secure, more natural place to draw from.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
+1 on seeing what is in style for your area.  Also, doesn't hurt to go to a mens clothing store (boutique-upper end style, or mall stores) and see what they have on the shelves and mannequins.  If you can enlist some help from the opposite sex, this helps alot.  

-Get 2-3 good pairs of jeans (Sevens/Lucky/Polo/BKE- depending on budget), in different wash/http://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=write&b=1&f=71&t=885849&r=-1&page=1&x=classic&pvID=885849&pt=t#colors.  Only worry about how they fit above the knees.  Go ahead and get these altered in the inseam to get a good fit.      
-Shoes- Black/Brown Dress, Black/Brown Casual, and a good pair of leather flip-flops

Oh, and if your in a metropolitan area that has outlet malls, these are great to shop at.  Definitely save some money shopping here.

Flip flops are only okay in showers, in your house and to run check the mail. Don't like them on women, either.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give you the tuckable/deep concealment holster, but you have to admit that it'll take longer to draw and  represents a compromise. Why do it unless you absolutely have to?

Life is a compromise, where you assess risk and choose risk mitigation measures as appropriate.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try a shoulder rig, then try a belt, I'm pretty sure you'll prefer it. More secure, more natural place to draw from.

Hey hey hey with that baby nonsense, there will be no cyber cheek-pinching

You're like what 27...28? You could be my sister.

And I agree, belt holster's are much more natural, but through trial and error, I find on my large frame, a shoulder  set up makes for easier concealment.

Like I said though, I'm preferential to OC and consequently would use a belt holster for doing so.

Baby? phooey.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Life is a compromise, where you assess risk and choose risk mitigation measures as appropriate.

Compromises are okay, but compromising for fashion?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flip flops are only okay in showers, in your house and to run check the mail. Don't like them on women, either.

Flip flops on men are teh ghey.

They're okay for women at the beach but anywhere else . . .
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fashion, maybe - concealability, definitely.

I notice a lot of people who talk shit about how concealed they are with belt carry and an untucked shirt tend to balk if they have to go somewhere where carry is against the law.  So you see, even the blowhards know there are different level of concealment.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Be your self, don't try to be someone you are not. You will fail.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#28]
It is being assumed that CC is even an issue. The OP didn't mention it, and maybe he doesn't have his license. Therefore, dressing to facilitate CC is a moot point.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#29]
As for the flip-flops, I put those only for shorts and casual wear.  I guess I'm partial to them since I used to work at a boat dealership and wore shorts/polo's 90% of the time.  If it's not your style or don't like them, then don't buy any.

I have a pair of these, and love them-  
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=370268&CategoryID=44489
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fashion, maybe - concealability, definitely.

I notice a lot of people who talk shit about how concealed they are with belt carry and an untucked shirt tend to balk if they have to go somewhere where carry is against the law.  So you see, even the blowhards know there are different level of concealment.

I think we mostly agree, then? As much gun as you can, as quickly reachable with as much concealedness and whenever you can? I'm not saying that I carry as much, as often often as I should, but  we're talking about what we're aiming for here. I had to restrain myself to keep from saying that the ideal fashion accessory (completely irresistible to all right thinking women) is an AR on a sling.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It is being assumed that CC is even an issue. The OP didn't mention it, and maybe he doesn't have his license. Therefore, dressing to facilitate CC is a moot point.

The thought didn't even cross my mind... the poor man...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
As for the flip-flops, I put those only for shorts and casual wear.  I guess I'm partial to them since I used to work at a boat dealership and wore shorts/polo's 90% of the time.  If it's not your style or don't like them, then don't buy any.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings...

I just looked at the link! You've got to be kidding me!

Cole Haan Felipe Thong Sandals
$118.00
A smooth leather construction adds refined style to this casual classic.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$118.00

This is the same guy who recommended looking at how mannequins were dressed, and has a thing for expensive JEANS.

I am picturing him with an untucked shirt under a vest, with a popped up collar.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Pick up 5.11s/carrharts in a variety of shades.

Carhart is the redneck version of metrosexual. I dare say that Carhart is gay.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey hey hey with that baby nonsense, there will be no cyber cheek-pinching

You're like what 27...28? You could be my sister.

And I agree, belt holster's are much more natural, but through trial and error, I find on my large frame, a shoulder  set up makes for easier concealment.

Like I said though, I'm preferential to OC and consequently would use a belt holster for doing so.

Baby? phooey.

peench peench peench! I'm around that age. Can I be the older sister that tells your dates what a doofus you are and shows the baby pictures?

I used to OC before I got my permit. It's funny how girlfriends will tell you they're scared of you and then tell you how much safer they feel around you.

I miss OCing, it was handy, but not really practical in town IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're sturdy and have a lot of pockets. Also, they don't scream GUN! like 5.11s do.

Is that you in your avatar?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$118.00

No worries.  Didn't hurt my feelings at all.  Like I said, find out what works in your area, and for you.  To each is own.  Work within your budget, and be yourself.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're sturdy and have a lot of pockets. Also, they don't scream GUN! like 5.11s do.

No, it's not me. It's just some guy sitting and smoking a cigarette.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any recommendations for sturdy pants with lots of pockets? I'm about to go cargo pants shopping myself. Sick of jeans and women's pants aren't any good for CC.
The womens 5.11s fit me horribly, I'm just gonna shop the boys section for work pants.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any recommendations for sturdy pants with lots of pockets? I'm about to go cargo pants shopping myself. Sick of jeans and women's pants aren't any good for CC.
The womens 5.11s fit me horribly, I'm just gonna shop the boys section for work pants.

Wish I could be more helpful. I just wear blue jeans. My knock against Carhartt is just that its a kind of uniform for the crowd that likes it. The OP was concerned with fashion. For function, go with Carhartt if it works.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#41]
You could always just wear whatever and put the money you save towards a rifle.

I betcha these guys had no trouble attracting women:

ETA: In fact, I demand that you give yourself a Selous Scout Makover and post pics as soon as your beard grows in.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Short shorts for the win.

I prefer em over this new "down to my knees" BS

Just wear pants.

Mid thigh, those men have some good lookin shorts, and the geico beards aren't too shabby either.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Garand Shooter here swears by the 24/7 pants he stocks at his store.   He raves on them every time the subject comes up.  Admittedly, he has a vested interest, but I'm sure he could stock 5.11 or any other brand as well.

http://www.oldgrouch.com/
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Garand Shooter here swears by the 24/7 pants he stocks at his store.   He raves on them every time the subject some up.  Admittedly, he has a vested interest, but I'm sure he could stock 5.11 or any other brand as well.

Thanks! I can't fit mens, but I'll pass that info to the husband. I'm around a 14 in boys, which means there's some work pants out there for me, but nothing very tacticool.

Oh well, it may not be HSLD, but at least I can still dress like an operator.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Garand Shooter here swears by the 24/7 pants he stocks at his store.   He raves on them every time the subject some up.  Admittedly, he has a vested interest, but I'm sure he could stock 5.11 or any other brand as well.

Thanks! I can't fit mens, but I'll pass that info to the husband. I'm around a 14 in boys, which means there's some work pants out there for me, but nothing very tacticool.

Oh well, it may not be HSLD, but at least I can still dress like an operator.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/biomdoc/access_services/Lily_Tomlin_telephone_operator.jpg

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+100

So retarded looking.

I dig fashion on men. Whoever suggested magazines for ideas, right on. You can't go wrong with layering and a nice pair of jeans. I came from the mecca of fashion before moving to kansass where wedge heels are considered dressed up. Flip flops are sexy on men, especially with a nice pair of slouchy relaxed fit pants or pinstripe cargos with a white shirt and nice button down over it. Casual but sexy is key.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#47]

The important thing is to accessorize. Women have certain weaknesses, why not exploit them?

Borrow a baby.

Chest rigs match any outfit and appeal to a certain kind of woman. Be careful though, if you wear one of these on a date, she'll ezpect you to clear her house when you drop her off.

Don't forget weapons, (same caveat as chest rigs):

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The important thing is to accessorize. Women have certain weaknesses, why not exploit them?

Borrow a baby.

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A5265/52656/300_52656.jpg

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/BC4409-001.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=7E61B4E1671135F5EF8F42C08CF2924E00123AA3B5A18ED0

Chest rigs match any outfit and appeal to a certain kind of woman. Be careful though, if you wear one of these on a date, she'll ezpect you to clear her house when you drop her off.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-10/1281122/MavonChest3.JPG

Don't forget weapons, (same caveat as chest rigs):

http://surferjerry.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/ar15-chainsaw-2.jpg

Wait. The more the better right?

I think I'll wear a chest rig to hold the 2 infants while juggling my three  A2's w/ attached M87 Charlie SAW.

That'll make me a chick magnet of epic proportions!

Thanks for the tips Snow!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I think I'll wear a chest rig to hold the 2 infants while juggling my three A2's w/ attached M87 Charlie SAW.

As an added bonus, you can use that chainsaw on your back hair.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I'll wear a chest rig to hold the 2 infants while juggling my three A2's w/ attached M87 Charlie SAW.

As an added bonus, you can use that chainsaw on your back hair.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top