Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2002 7:38:20 PM EDT
who wants to learn how to shoot for defensive purposes...apparently she is in fear for her & her childrens' lives.

Would you recommend semi-auto or revolver pistol?

Also taking a shotgun for her to try.  I believe it will be a home bound firearm...not something she would carry (at least not until she gets a CCW).

Glock17, S&W 4 & 6 inch .357/.38 revolvers, .25 Jetfire, SIG239, .380, will be available for her to try as friends have loaned me their firearms for her to try.

She has two children, one 6? & one 10? I think.  She is VERY concerned about gun safety & access at home but also wants to be able to defend herself & her kids if she must.  

Any suggestions?  Especially regarding access to the arms by the kids?  How do you all handle this with your children?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, it sounds she has shoot before.  How easy is it for her to handle the wepons, loadin, disesembly and such?  Cause hand strength can be a consideration, and recoil.  One of the best safety fetures ever is education.  So I would teach the kids a little about the guns.  Like how to check if a gun is loaded, and how to unload it safely.  Not how to shoot yet, but teach them.  Then there are other things one can buy, like locks.  That is my opinon.  And what type of gun she likes and ammo.  Maybe she does not want something powerful.  A 22 may not be able to make somes exit wound ugly but, a projectile is a projectile, and if she can really shoot well.  Maybe that is all you need.   My opinon, see what see wants and likes.  But for defensive reasons.  She may want to take some kind of training, along military or martial arts, so she won't freeze, but instead react in a good state of mind rather than panic state.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#2]
For Gun Safety for the kids, you might want to try getting the Eddie Eagle videotape from the NRA. And see what she thinks she needs to keep a weapon safe in her home. She knows her children the best. Also see what budget she has to spend. That could be a factor too.HTH
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#3]
If it's going to be a home bound weapon, I'd go for the shot gun and I'll even tell you why...

The sound alone of racking the slide of a 12 guage is enough for most intruders to know that there's a good chance they might get a biiiiggg hole put in them.

As for the children, I have somewhat of a different view on that. We have a three year old and we don't hide the weapons. They are a part of her everyday life. The AR might as well be a piece of furniture for as much as she sees it. She doesn't think twice about it. She knows what it is and if you ask her what to do with it, she replies, "Don't touch it." And she doesn't. If one hides something, or tries to lock it up, it must be something pretty interesting, like Dad hiding his Playboys.

I hope this doesn't start some huge debate, but it is something to think about. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:04:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd recommend a stainless double action revolver.  Simple, cheap, easy to use, NEVER jams.  Easy to look at at and figure out if its loaded or not without having to rack slides or guess if there is one in the chamber. Little or no maintenance required.  Always goes bang when you pull the trigger.  38 cal ought to be about right.

Almost impossible to get a woman back to the range with a 12 gauge after she's fired it once or twice and gotten beat up on the shoulder.  Same thing with a shotgun about figuring out if there is one in the chamber or not.

my .02
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I would worry about someone wrestling a shotgun away from me.

Revolvers feel less safe to me. I like being able to insert a clip & go.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

A  loaded revolver is KISS, an auto is good if  you train with it .

Revolver = its loaded pull trigger.
Auto = Is mag loaded ? Is safty on/off ? Is one in chamber ? To many ?? for me in the middle of the night .
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

A  loaded revolver is KISS, an auto is good if  you train with it .

Revolver = its loaded pull trigger.
Auto = Is mag loaded ? Is safty on/off ? Is one in chamber ? To many ?? for me in the middle of the night .
View Quote

Forgot to add Womenz with 12 ga. rulz.......My Girl likes SPAS 12 .[:d]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
A 20 gauge with light loads would be great.
Revolver if not much time to invest in training.
KISS= revolver.....38 reg loads.
Money for handgun safe/lockbox? I have two with the finger codes...spring loaded door..works great.
12 gauge is to much for most women on first trip.....we have new officers who hate to shoot a 12 gauge.

Keep it simple.....stress will cloud her(anyones) judgement....needs something very easy to use.
HTH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top