Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2008 9:21:50 PM EDT
Ok.. I could write a book on this situation.. but just to keep things short..

I have a female co-worker that has become a friend.. she has finally left her abusive husband, but in the process, he has been fucking her over hardcore.  Took her car, forged her signature on the title and sold it, kept all her personal property.. it's just a nightmare...

Well it's starting to get cold out, and the other day all she had was a sweatshirt and was mentioning how cold it was.  I asked why she didn't have a coat, and she said her estranged husband had all her shit, and she didn't have the money right now to buy one.

Her measly paycheck already is getting garnished from a bill her husband racked up, but he doesn't work so they are going after her..

Anyway, she's a really nice girl,  just all around good person that has been dealt a shitty hand.  Like I said, we have become friends, and I was planning on getting her something for christmas, and I think I want to get her a coat.. just get it early..

Sooo.. ladies, I need a fashion tip.  Can you point me in the direction of a good coat for a young lady 27, 28.. She's a size medium in Womens or size Small in mens..

She's not the furry hood  fancy type, yet not the carrharrt type either..   Looking for <$100

Where's a good place to look.. thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok.. I could write a book on this situation.. but just to keep things short..

I have a female co-worker that has become a friend.. she has finally left her abusive husband, but in the process, he has been fucking her over hardcore.  Took her car, forged her signature on the title and sold it, kept all her personal property.. it's just a nightmare...

Well it's starting to get cold out, and the other day all she had was a sweatshirt and was mentioning how cold it was.  I asked why she didn't have a coat, and she said her estranged husband had all her shit, and she didn't have the money right now to buy one.

Her measly paycheck already is getting garnished from a bill her husband racked up, but he doesn't work so they are going after her..

Anyway, she's a really nice girl,  just all around good person that has been dealt a shitty hand.  Like I said, we have become friends, and I was planning on getting her something for christmas, and I think I want to get her a coat.. just get it early..

Sooo.. ladies, I need a fashion tip.  Can you point me in the direction of a good coat for a young lady 27, 28.. She's a size medium in Womens or size Small in mens..

She's not the furry hood  fancy type, yet not the carrharrt type either..   Looking for <$100

Where's a good place to look.. thanks.

TJ MAxx would be your best bet.  They have really good prices.

Curious..do you have a girlfriend or wife?

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I love wool coats. Victoria Secret is having a $99 sale on select wool coats.

by the way I think it is very kind and generous that you are doing this for her. Good luck finding one.

*** ETA: JC Penny's is also having a nice coat sale.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love wool coats. Victoria Secret is having a $99 sale on select wool coats.

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/images/prodpri2/V225186_093.jpg

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/images/prodpri2/V240718_036.jpg

by the way I think it is very kind and generous that you are doing this for her. Good luck finding one.

This's a really nice style to go with. It looks good and they're usually pretty warm. Find out what her fav color is!

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Those are nice, but depending on her style, she might want something a little more versatile if she's only going to have one coat.

These 2 are from JCPenney

This one from Cabela's

(I love the way wool coats look, but I can't own one because I have a yellow lab...)

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Those are nice, but depending on her style, she might want something a little more versatile if she's only going to have one coat.

http://zoom.jcpenney.com/is/image/0900631b81526769M.tif?wid=180&hei=180&op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp&icc=A98

http://zoom.jcpenney.com/is/image/0900631b8156d8d2M.tif?wid=180&hei=180&op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp&icc=A98

This one from Cabela's
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_971054_608_01?$main-Large$

(I love the way wool coats look, but I can't own one because I have a yellow lab...)

you are right in the fact that if this will be her one/main coat then she needs something more versatile. And I know what you mean with the yellow lab and a wool coat. The black wool coat I have seems to attract my GSD's hair like nothing else. I just keep it in a garment bag and it stays dog hair free for the most part.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a friend that pretty much is in the same boat. Good for you for helping her out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#7]
What a nice gesture.  Those wool coats from VS look really nice, and are a classic look that she could wear for many years.  And yes, wool is generally very warm.

Those Columbia / North Face parkas from Cabela's and similar stores are nice and also very warm too, if you get a decent sale on them you can get them for around that price...I bought mine on closeout last year end of season and it was a little less than that, but I understand you don't want to wait till after winter either.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TJ MAxx would be your best bet.  They have really good prices.

Curious..do you have a girlfriend or wife?

Well technically I have a wife  We are still legally married.  We hae=ve been seperated for 18 months now... another Loooong story, but it involves our house, and my share of home equity I am waiting for.  Bottom line.. I'm too nice of a guy

You can say I have a little bit of a "trust" issue.. so no girlfriend at the present... I think I may just stay single.. it's safer that way
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://zoom.jcpenney.com/is/image/0900631b81526769M.tif?wid=180&hei=180&op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp&icc=A98

http://zoom.jcpenney.com/is/image/0900631b8156d8d2M.tif?wid=180&hei=180&op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp&icc=A98

This one from Cabela's
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_971054_608_01?$main-Large$

These would be more along the style she would fit into...   This is a good place to start looking.. thank you...

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

These would be more along the style she would fit into...   This is a good place to start looking.. thank you...

Glad I could help; all 3 of those are under $100.  And good for you to do this for her.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

Glad I could help; all 3 of those are under $100.  And good for you to do this for her.

You would not believe what this girl has been through.  Very abusive, controlling husband.  He would hit her, she was not allowed to have any friends, was made to cut off all contact with her family..(sister died during that time- and she will hold that regret for the rest of her life)

I took her out in July for her Birthday.. she said that was the BEST time she had ever had in her life...  She had never been to even a bar before.. and the girl is 28!

So I had her over, her, I, and another female friend of mine stayed at my place for a couple days.. First night we went to dinner, hit the strip club  She loved that  then the night club... next day after grilling out lunch, we went to the range.. first time ever shooting a gun.. she loved that too...

There's just something so rewarding when you help someone else out not seeking anything in return.  I had a blast, just because of the experience she was able to have, and I could tell she was enjoying herself... I don't know.. just makes me feel good.. best gift I could recieve is seeing someone else happy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

You would not believe what this girl has been through.  Very abusive, controlling husband.  He would hit her, she was not allowed to have any friends, was made to cut off all contact with her family..(sister died during that time- and she will hold that regret for the rest of her life)

I took her out in July for her Birthday.. she said that was the BEST time she had ever had in her life...  She had never been to even a bar before.. and the girl is 28!

So I had her over, her, I, and another female friend of mine stayed at my place for a couple days.. First night we went to dinner, hit the strip club
 She loved that
 then the night club... next day after grilling out lunch, we went to the range.. first time ever shooting a gun.. she loved that too...

There's just something so rewarding when you help someone else out not seeking anything in return.  I had a blast, just because of the experience she was able to have, and I could tell she was enjoying herself... I don't know.. just makes me feel good.. best gift I could recieve is seeing someone else happy.

Sounds like you might wanna make her something more than a friend.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#13]
UPDATE

Got a coat today...   went to JC Penny's.  They had columbia 30-40% off, so I got a 3-in-1 columbia coat priced $200 for 129.99 I think.  THen there was a $15 off coupon in their flyer that I was able to use.  Picked up a pair of isotoner gloves, and a bottle of perfume.. and I think she'll be good to go.

Thanks for everyones input, and have a happy holiday season.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sorry I missed this thread earlier.

Good on you for helping her, many wouldn't get involved.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm sorry I missed this thread earlier.

Good on you for helping her, many wouldn't get involved.  

Well.. I like to be able to help people less fortunate than myself...  however, I'm a conservative because I want to decide WHO and WHEN I help.. not have the .gov do it for me.. and like I said, she is more than deserving.  She's a hard worker, and is just going through a bunch of shit right now, so if I am able to help her out and put a smile on her face it's more than worth it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top