Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2001 3:19:28 PM EDT
Since carrying is a topic most often mentioned, as shown in above topics.  Why don't we start a thread posted by women on their opinions in shooting various firearms.  Kind of an evaluation.

List the guns, and then describe your opinions of them.  For instance ARlady loves the G26, but dislikes the G31, or P95 for different reasons.  Could be more helpfull to new female shooter than us men suggesting 15 lbs hand howitzers....  just a thought.  

ARlady, you have permission to edit this as you see fit, not that you wouldn't just do it anyway...[:D]

[blue]edited only because he can't spell and mis-identified the Glock 31 --ARlady[/blue]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
i'll get this started.  as matt mentioned, i really like the Glock 26 because it fits my hands so well.  while i don't have really small hands, i do have short fingers.  so guns like the Glock 31 (full size in .357 Sig) and P95 (full size in 9mm) are difficult for me to shoot because i can't get my short fingers around the trigger enough to pull it.  ironically, the kimber CDP 5" .45 fits like a glove.  i think it's because the grip area is so much slimmer than the other firearms.  the browning buckmark .22 pistol is okay.  slim like the .45.  so it fits, but i don't like the balance when i'm firing it.

as far as revolvers go, the Ruger GP100 (6" barrel, .357mag) is great.  fits well, although it is heavy.  the .357mag rounds will really give your hand a work out, but the 6" barrel keeps the muzzle flip well under control.  shooting .38s in that puppy is a breeze.  almost like a .22 as far as kick back into the hands and virtually no muzzle flip.

i've also fired 2 different .38 revolvers with 2" barrels.  one was a Ruger SP101 in stainless steel.  the .38 rounds weren't bad, but the short barrel length made for some serious muzzle flip.  the other, a taurus modeul 85 ultralite (all titanium) with 2" barrel is nice too.  again, the short barrel length means more muzzle action, but the ported barrel tames it down some.  i will have to say the rubber grips on the taurus really bug me.  i've actually worn a blister because of them.  new grips definitely in the future.

oh, yeah.  the .41 magnum was a lot easier on the recoil than i thought it would be.  and it was the first time i'd fired a single action (S/A) only revolver.

um, i think that pretty much covers it.  at least the ones i remember.  how 'bout the rest of you girls.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The first thing I ever shot was a 1911 .45, and that's still my favorite thing.  I've tried a dozen different Colts, but prefer my ParaOrdnance P-14.  With the double stack, it has a large grip, but I have long hands and long fingers and it fits me very well.  Also very accurate and beautifully balanced.  I can't compare to Kimbers, or other high end 1911 variants, because I haven't shot any yet.

In 1911s I've also shot the .40, 9x23, and .380.  The .40 shoots nice, the .380 isn't very accurate, and the 9x23 bites like .357Magnum and isn't accurate.

I loved a friend's H&K .40, have never gotten comfortable with a Glock, liked a Sig of my husband's but hated cleaning it, like the Walther 380 PPKS for carry but it bites my hand when I shoot it...

I've shot very few revolvers, but I love shooting the Colt Python with 8" barrel(I think it's a .38).  I've shot some .357 Magnums in there somewhere, and I really dislike shooting that round.  It's just too jarring.

I've shot a Dirty Harry gun, and the only impression I remember was that it wasn't as bad as I was expecting in terms of kick back and muzzle lift.  All the same, I wouldn't shoot it for fun.  The only handgun I've even shot and then said, "I won't ever shoot that again" was the Desert Eagle, which felt like a cannon going off in my hand.  Can we say overkill?

Plinking with the Ruger .22 rifle is fun, and I liked an H&K UPC (?) .45 rifle, but I'm not thrilled with rifle shooting in general, and ARs don't do alot for me.  I've shot machine guns, an UZI and something bigger, but it really didn't do anything for me.

My shotgun is a Browning Citori Lightning, and I have fun doing badly at Sporting Clays now and then.

Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The only pistol that really doesn't fit my hands is the 1911 Colt, or various clones.
I have little hands, and even 2 handed, the grip safety, and the trigger reach are just wrong for me.
I don't like Desert Eagles either, but not because of caliber, more because I consider them badly designed.
All the rest, and all the calibers, I LOVE.
I rarely meet a handgun that I don't like .
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I seem to have much less experience than the other ladies posting so far, but here goes.  I've tried Glocks in the past, but just didn't really care for them.  Can't really pinpoint why, just not my cup of tea.  Used to have a 357 revolver that I really liked, but my ex took that with him.  My husband has a CZ-75 9mm that I really like.  The grip fits my hand well and the balance is very good.  I have long fingers, so it might not work as well for someone with smaller hands.  I currently own a Sig P228 that I'm liking more and more every time I take it to the range.  It also fits my hand well, but the weight and balance is a bit different from the CZ.

As for rifles....I'm still breaking in to that area.  I absolutely loved the AR15 we had, but it was stolen awhile back.  Since then, I try to experience a different rifle each time we go to the range.  The FN FAL was fun to shoot once I got used to the recoil.  Not really that bad, it just surprised me a bit the first time out.  The others I've tried have been smaller caliber so I can just plink all day with them if I want.  I enjoy shooting them all, but hope to have another AR15 one day.  That one was my favorite!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't like rifles too well (too much stuff next to my face), but I was impressed with one this past weekend.  I've only shot an AR-type once, and not at a target, but my husband asked me to try shooting a Stoner SR-25 Mark 11 Model O.  I shot five rounds, and was uncomfortable and nervous the whole time, BUT, my group at 100 yards was just over 8/10ths of an inch.  That felt pretty neat...but I still don't like shooting rifles...
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Mrswind, liked my 1911, but she loved the HiPower, it fit her hand better, she is 5'2", the recoil of the .45 was ok, but she shoots much better with the Browning.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mrswind, liked my 1911, but she loved the HiPower, it fit her hand better, she is 5'2", the recoil of the .45 was ok, but she shoots much better with the Browning.
View Quote

why don't we get to hear from MrsWind herself?  [:D]

that's why it's called the [i]Womenz[/i] Forum.  not that we don't want the guys here. but we want the women here too!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top