Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2008 4:32:40 PM EDT
So after getting her phone number and establishing that she does seem interested, I've decided to take her out this Friday being that her birthday is Thursday. I've already picked her up a little something with help from one of her friends(my buddies girlfriend) and have found out where she likes to eat. So I'm trying to get stuff planned out and would like some advice, any really. The first being a big one, kiss on the first date? I know it sounds stupid but I'll be darned if I'm asking my buddies. Also,
what's some good icebreaker topics by chance. I'm 18 and she's 19 so even though I'm odd and like world news, politics and random events...I don't know what kind of stuff to talk about really without boring her. I'll probably start a new thread if that's alright seeing as I'm pretty much crapping this one, sorry to the original poster.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Checklist

1. Condoms,,Got
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Checklist

1. Condoms,,Got

Haha...yeah, I'm stocked up. Not on the first date though, unless I'm really missing something about her.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
SIHPAPP
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't talk about yourself.
Ask her questions and listen to them.

This will work in your favor several ways.
1) You won't come off as a weirdo.
2) You'll seem like a good listener.
3) Since you didn't talk about yourself, she'll want to get to know you.
4) You won't put your foot in your mouth and say anything stupid, since you'll find out where she stands on touchy subjects.

Additionally, always keep first dates casual and open.
She'll feel safe and un-pressured, and if things start to go downhill, you can easily steer it to relative safety without things getting really awkward.

ETA: Wait, did you say you picked her up something?
Gifts and flowers are for girlfriends, not for dates.
Leave that business at home before she subconciously labels you a beta male, and thus, un-datable.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Leave that business at home before she subconciously labels you a beta male, and thus, un-datable.

Hehe I did that once..   Never again!!!

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i take it that it did not work out too well for you?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i take it that it did not work out too well for you?

Crashed and burned, it wasn't pretty.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This is all great advice, up until the 'gifts and flowers aren't for dates' business.  I don't necessarily agree with that...I think flowers (something simple, not 2 dozen roses) on a date are nice.  

To each their own.
Personally, I think a guy giving gifts on the first date is on line with a girl going too far on the first date.
In either case, it is going to possibly exclude you from being seen as relationship material.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#10]
be yourself.

if she likes you, great!  you'll have a second date in the plans before the first one's over...  if not, well, you didn't want to keep having to figure out how to act, right?  

you'll be fine, and yes, I'd say a kiss on the first date in this situation is wholly appropriate.    I think it's really sweet that you picked up a birthday gift already - that'll make her feel very special.  (as long as it's not expensive or too personal...)  

keep us posted...  

(and for what it's worth, sfax39 and I had our first date the weekend after my birthday, and here we are, 7 years later...  )
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks ladies, it'll probably be towards the end of the week before I post again, I've taken in all of the adviceand will give a report as to how it goes. Thanks for the help. Regards. Alex.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
This thread is worthless without pictures.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 12:58:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't talk about yourself.
Ask her questions and listen to them.

This will work in your favor several ways.
1) You won't come off as a weirdo.
2) You'll seem like a good listener.
3) Since you didn't talk about yourself, she'll want to get to know you.
4) You won't put your foot in your mouth and say anything stupid, since you'll find out where she stands on touchy subjects.

Additionally, always keep first dates casual and open.
She'll feel safe and un-pressured, and if things start to go downhill, you can easily steer it to relative safety without things getting really awkward.

This is all great advice, up until the 'gifts and flowers aren't for dates' business.  I don't necessarily agree with that...I think flowers (something simple, not 2 dozen roses) on a date are nice.  

Sp1, you're oldfashioned

Please don't kill me with all your pent up motherly rage.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:26:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't go in with rigid expectations of whether you should or shouldn't kiss by the end of the first date. Let it happen spontaneously, if it is going to. It will be less stressful if it's organic.

Also, if things go well, make plans for a second date before the night is over. That will relieve both of you of wondering, "Should I call?" "Will he call?"

Keep us updated!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Just an update, we went out Thursday night and things went very well, I did manage to schedule another date for Sunday night and found out that she (Lori) will be taking a month off from work before heading back to college...the same college I'm attending by the way.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just an update, we went out Thursday night and things went very well, I did manage to schedule another date for Sunday night and found out that she (Lori) will be taking a month off from work before heading back to college...the same college I'm attending by the way.

w00t.

So, did ya hit it?

J/K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top