Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2008 10:57:22 AM EDT
I'm looking to get a pistol for my wife I have a SIG 239 in 357 sig but I know that will be  little to much for her and I'd love to take her to a place to rent pistols but there is no where around me that does that. I have taken her shooting once and she shoot my Glock 22 and an old S&W 39-2 she like the Glock better. I was also thinking of a pistol cal carbine like the beretta storm or a M1 carbine or maybe even a lever action in 357 mag not sure

Any advice would be a great help thanks!
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I just picked up a Glock 26 for a new CCW and I love it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Go here:www.corneredcat.com

^^^ that

AND we need more details, like what's her hand size? how much experience does she have with revolvers/semi-auto? how is she planning on carrying it? etc.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Have her try a revolver.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
try a bersa or the new ruger LCP
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I see I left a lot of info out for you ladies. She is small framed woman 5'2 105lbs her hands are small. She really has never been shooting but once or twice. This weapon is going to be used for home defense cause she live in a state that does not have CCW yet maybe in a year or two she will. After she took a look at what I wrote she said mabe it would be a good idea to get something that if need be she could use it to hunt also.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I see I left a lot of info out for you ladies. She is small framed woman 5'2 105lbs her hands are small. She really has never been shooting but once or twice. This weapon is going to be used for home defense cause she live in a state that does not have CCW yet maybe in a year or two she will. After she took a look at what I wrote she said mabe it would be a good idea to get something that if need be she could use it to hunt also.

That Sir would be called a shotgun - start her off with a 20ga and work towards a good 12ga - if you are feeling really in love, then get her a Vang Comp 870 in 12ga - cuts the recoil to that of a 12ga so she'll enjoy shooting it which translates into practicing and becoming comfortable/proficient with it, patterns much better (read - safer liability wise if you are busting caps in your house/apartment/cave), shoots slugs like a rifle, if you want to go bird hunting you just pop in a nice 28" barrel and have at it - plus all the guys at the range will be envious of her scattergun, which in turn leads to you being "happy" at home if ya get my drift...............
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought my wife a Mod 85 over twenty years ago.  It is still her "go to" weapon and one of the few that is always loaded and within easy reach of either of us.

She enjoys shooting...about a box of ammo a year.  With the revolver she doesn't have to remember things like safeties, mag releases, failure to feed or eject, etc.  She picks it up, loads five, points it at the target and pulls the trigger.  Even if she hasn't practiced in a while it remains the same; aim, pull trigger.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 2:07:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Get her an M1. I've got one and I like it.

If she doesn't like it, just paint it pink.

Link Posted: 5/31/2008 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless you're SURE she'll shoot a lot, my advice is the same for anyone who's not an enthusiast, or willing to spend the time: REVOLVER. Describe for yourself the clearance drill for any automatic that only goes "click".  Loaded chamber? Magazine seated? Out of battery? Safety on?

Ok. What's the clearance drill when a revolver clicks? Wank the trigger again! Click? Better reload.

Unloaded revolvers seldom still have one in the chamber.

Easy to see if loaded/unloaded.

How much can a minimally trained person remember during the tunnel vision of deadly threat?

On rereading a post above, I like the shotgun too. My choice for small people is a Beretta 391 20ga if money's not a horrible problem. 7/8 oz loads. Maybe the youth model (13" LOP, but can be shortened to 12" or even less and still have a thick gooey recoil pad like KICKEEZ or Pachmayr Decelerator) Weighs a bit over 6lbs. The gas operated automatics reduce perceived recoil a bunch.

A shotgun's good for waiting in the secure room until help arrives. They suck for solo house clearing exercises, although a really short barrel can mitigate that somewhat.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Well talked to the wife and I think we are going to go with a long arm. If we go with a shotgun   I'm not sure if we are going to go 12ga or 20ga I do know I'm going to replace the stock with a Knoxx stock.

We also thought a lever action in 357 mag would be good also. Great round can take out a deer and a human.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well talked to the wife and I think we are going to go with a long arm. If we go with a shotgun   I'm not sure if we are going to go 12ga or 20ga I do know I'm going to replace the stock with a Knoxx stock.

We also thought a lever action in 357 mag would be good also. Great round can take out a deer and a human.  
Nice to know that you and your wife came to a decision.  But I wouldn't dismiss getting a handgun.  I recommend the H&K USP series and it's not because I own one.  I know a lady shorter than your wife that tried out a USP and a Kimber, both in .45 ACP.  She preferred the USP due to the lower recoil and easier to pull slide.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Nice to know that you and your wife came to a decision.  But I wouldn't dismiss getting a handgun.  I recommend the H&K USP series and it's not because I own one.  I know a lady shorter than your wife that tried out a USP and a Kimber, both in .45 ACP.  She preferred the USP due to the lower recoil and easier to pull slide.

I was wanting to get her the pistol but she was the one who said to me "Would it not be better if I had something I could hunt with?"

Thats my wife always thinking ahead of me but I'll get her pistol when she wants one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Sig P239 in .40.

I have it in 9mm and wish I would have gotten the .40. Perfect boomer to start with, and end with.

ETA: She'll need a back-up weapon when hunting anyway - so get her one of each
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Long guns are far superior to handguns in stopping power and accuracy for home defense or any situation not requiring concealed carry.

Try before you buy, if it isn't fun or hurts to shoot the gun won't get used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top