Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2008 7:34:43 PM EDT
I just got my Concealed Carry permit today. I've been trying to find the best way to carry and so far I haven't come up with one. I don't want to put a gun in my purse.

I have a Kel-tec PF-9 and a Baby glock. My husband carries at his hip, but when I try that it just pokes out oddly.

Any Suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a stickied thread in this forum called "Info and links for the women", and it has some good links with information.

I like the belly band with the gun carried just off center in the front.  If I put it in the center, it pushes the zipper of my pants out making a rather unsightly bulge, but by putting it just a little to the right, it's still easy to draw, and conceals well.  Hip carry isn't a good option for most women, I think.  You're either going to print like crazy, or give yourself a blister where the gun digs into your waist or hip.  

ETA, I think my Kahr CW9 is about the same size as your Kel-Tec, so that method should work.  It also depends a lot on your build.  You might also consider the small of your back.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I was reading up on that a bit, but no one had pictures.
:(

My husband has a smart carry, that I used with my skirt tonight. That worked well enough, but I don't want to have to wear a skirt.

The Belly band seems like a good idea, but I can't find a picture of one.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was reading up on that a bit, but no one had pictures.
:(

My husband has a smart carry, that I used with my skirt tonight. That worked well enough, but I don't want to have to wear a skirt.

The Belly band seems like a good idea, but I can't find a picture of one.
Galco underwraps That's the "Underwraps" variety, but it's very similar to what I have.  Mine only has one holster, and no leather reinforcement.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I do appendix carry. I'm really short as in less then 5', so the belly band was really uncomfortable for me.

Here are a couple of pictures of my holster:

http://www.kelloggcustomleather.com/holsters/M&P_megmag-out-small.jpg

http://www.kelloggcustomleather.com/holsters/M&P_megmag-small.jpg

Link Posted: 5/23/2008 1:41:09 AM EDT
[#5]
There are different kinds of belly bands..they make some nice neoprene ones but I've only ever found them in 6" widths that make me feel like I'm a body cast. I have a 4" one..nice but uncomfortable unless you wear a camisole or something underneath it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm just bumping this to the top because a friend of mine is going to her CCW class this coming week (hooray!), having purchased her new revolver a couple weeks back (hooray^2!) and she's struggling to find a way to fit carrying her revolver in with the way she currently dresses and accessorizes.

So I'm asking on her behalf if any of y'all have more pictures of your carrying gear or more advice or helpful links for a woman new to carrying.

Additionally, if anyone knows of any place she might be able to try on different kinds of holsters, or a place with a big holster selection where she might be able to even look at and examine different styles of carry in or near the Knob Creek or Frankfort areas of KY, I think that'd also be extremely helpful.

Thank you all,
~BakerMike
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a big fan of the ankle holster.  Just me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Both in a purse, and/or like this:

I'll see if I can find the thread where I did a write up.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/scramper/IWB.jpg

That's _exactly_ the kind of thing I'm looking for, Bed_Head, thanks very much!

also, what brand of holster is that?

~BakerMike
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I did a write up and gave some opinions on it here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=10&t=50585&page=1

Remember, they're just my opinions and preferences, and work for me.  You have to find what will work for you.

eta:  BakerMike, I don't know what the brand is.  Believe it or not, it's a hand-me-down that someone gave to my husband.  Then I abducted it and made it my own.

I'll see if I can find something on it....
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/scramper/IWB.jpg

I'll see if I can find the thread where I did a write up.

Is that Aimless on the top left of that pic behind you??  
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Is that Aimless on the top left of that pic behind you??  

I hadn't noticed until now.....
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry my PF9 in my front left pants pocket.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm 5'1, Marilyn Monroe build and I just can't conceal anything on my hip or small of my back. I carry in a belly band right over my right ovary with spare mags on the left. I get a little "tenting" over my belly from where my chest pushes out my shirt and that hides the slight bulge from the gun. I had to switch from t-shirts to blouses, but they're not oversized.

I carry a Kahr P9. I like the single stack magazine for my small hands. I have a bitsy Keltec too, but I rarely carry it, though it fits in a pocket holster.

I prefer shooting my husbands larger calliber weapons, and I'm more accurate with them, but I couldn't conceal them. If you go the belly band route, get more than one, they get grimy fast.

Hope this helps,

Snow

edit: I forgot to add that for me, a purse won't do. The thought of my weapon being in a snatchable bag makes me very uncomfortable. I'm not even willing to put my wallet in my purse for fear of snatchings.

We really need a CC weapon and method sticky...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top