Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 12:50:19 PM EDT
I'm getting all 4 of them pulled Wednesday and I'm basically scared to death....
Who's been through it?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
It's no big deal!  Seriously, I didn't even have pain.  Ever. Just some bleeding obviously.  You will be fine!

I was in and out in 25 minutes for 3.  Local shots only.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been through it, and actually spent two years assisting dentists and an oral surgeon doing this. My advice is to follow the post instructions, as in no smoking, and do not create any kind of suction force, i.e. like sucking through a straw, etc.  Follow all the advice and rent plenty of movies and stay up on your pain medications and in no time you'll be fine. It won't be fun but is probably better then leaving them there for future problems (which almost always happens, requiring you to get them out anyway)
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep. All 4. Don't worry, it's not bad. The "pulling on your jaw" is the most uncomfortable IMHO, but it doesn't hurt.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Had all four taken at the same time.  Didn't get puffy cheeked or anything (I was 17 when they did it, that may have helped) AND they knocked me out and gave me the giggle gas first.  That was good stuff. Really does make you giggle uncontrollably.

The nurse said: "what's your address?

I said: ""

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess the real question is....... Can I still have coffee?!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I had 5 removed. It was an outpatient procedure.
Due to the complexity of the procedure [in my case]
I was "knocked-out" for the entire surgery... You'll
be sore for a few days, and don't lick the stitches!

I wouldn't drink, nor eat anything "Hot" for a few days.
Warm, would be ok, not steaming hot.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Lets see, I was about 30 or few less. I am a big wuss and went the drugs aka knock out IV. Came to sort of and was helped into another room. Nurse said stay and I will get the wife. She told the wife what needed to be done and wife said I posed a question to the instructions that the nurse just gave. Kind of like jeopardy the game show.

Well we had a Wendy's restaurant near by and she got me some frostys and I spooned it into my mouth and tongue moved the frosty over and onto the sockets. This helped to clot the blood and kill the pain some.

Ditto no sucking and stay away from hot things. Don't tongue the sites either. Couple days of discomfort and all will be well. See if you can get it done on a Friday so you have weekend to recoup.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Follow the directions they give.

For mine they put me asleep, thats the only way to do it.  I spent the rest of the day eating Jello taking pain meds and watching The Office. Then around ten o' clock a totally hot girl from work brought me a strawberry milkshake.  We talked for about three hours afterwards.

The next day I ate pasta salad and Salmon.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Got all 4 pulled in April while awake--no issues--NO pain.

Just follow the directions the dentist gives you for aftercare.

too easy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I need mine out.  

I've had a couple of friends go through it recently and they insist that it's only uncomfortable for a few days afterward.  I have a feeling they took lots of happy pills and/or don't like me very much.

I bought a new cell phone, switched providers and have neglected to update my dentist.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys I am getting knocked out for the whole thing and plan on spending 3 days at home watching movies.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Update?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Hang in there!  You'll be just fine!  Hugs and prayers sent.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah dry socket sucks. I couldn't resist the urge to smoke
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I had 8 teeth removed.. so i will say i had PAIN>. but my hubby had just his wisdom teeth taken out and he had hardly any pain.. He thinks it depends on the doctor, and I think it just depends on how many you have pulled...
I was 22 -23 at the time...  
good luck and enjoy the meds!!!!  oh.. on the bright side.i lost alot of weight!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Eh its not that bad.  I was knocked out for it.  I ate lots of ice cream, shakes, and jello.  And sitting around watching the seniors on the wrestling team make a highlight video for the season at my house.  It's not that bad.  You'll be out of there fairly quick.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks you guys for the stories and advice. I go in tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes!

Pssst....you signed in under Jon's name again.

Good thing my boyfriend isn't a member here or he and I would have that problem all the time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks you guys for the stories and advice. I go in tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes!

Pssst....you signed in under Jon's name again.

Good thing my boyfriend isn't a member here or he and I would have that problem all the time.

Crap..... That's the problem when I post from home. He's always signed in!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I had 2 pulled two impacted, the impacted ones hurt they were cut out. The pulled oned were a lot better. Follow direction and you be fine. Pain fades away......

Edit.... sorry being in women shooters forum I was looking in active topics....
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah my lower two are impacted and will probably need to come out. My top two are fine though. So the doc wants to pull my bottom two. I left them in for a while now, but i'm probably going to pull them soon. I've had a few teeth pulled before so i'm not too worried. Smoothie King here i come.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Depends on your age.  

I had all mine at 18 or so.  Only problem I had aside from the slight pain (which is to be expected) is that I woke up in the middle of the surgery because the sedation wore off.  I heard, "this might hurt a bit" and felt what up to then had been the worst pain in my life (I've since had Pitocin-induced contractions and a nerve hit during the epidural).  But it hurt.  They must have upped the sedation because I was out again almost immediately and had no complications.  Slept a lot the rest of the day and was back to business as usual (except for certain foods) the next.

My hubby on the other hand waited  until he was 25 or so.  By then they had really become screwed up in the sockets (growing in with the chewing surface facing the cheek not the teeth above/below it).  The surgeon sent a letter to the referring dentist thanking him for the latter's faith in surgeon's ability to handle such a case!!!!!  DH was in horrible pain (doesn't help that he's a complete wimp when he's sick or laid up).  But he also developed dry sockets in each and every one of them and had to go back to have them packed.  

GL.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#23]
UPDATE: Well, I'm alive heh I was an emotional trainwreck though, and anyone who knows me will tell you I'm just not an emotional person. I woke up crying! haha No pain or anything, just crying. I felt a little pain yesterday but after I was able to take the prescriptions it wasn't so bad... I can't help but feel a little weird, though, if I look in the back of my mouth, there's a gaping hole where one was, and stitches where another was (both bottom wisdom teeth were impacted, apparently). I guess I should have had them out a few years ago (I'm 22) because the Dr. said the roots were really close to the nerve. Now I'm just hoping and praying no dry sockets!

I think the best part of all was that my cheeks weren't that puffy (except for when I had the gauze in and no, I am NOT posting pictures). My husband says I'm fortunate, because he, along with a lot of other people, looked like a chipmunk after the procedure....

So now I'm at home and getting ready to watch more movies Life is rough! Thanks for all the stories to help prepare me!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
UPDATE: Well, I'm alive heh I was an emotional trainwreck though, and anyone who knows me will tell you I'm just not an emotional person. I woke up crying! haha No pain or anything, just crying. I felt a little pain yesterday but after I was able to take the prescriptions it wasn't so bad... I can't help but feel a little weird, though, if I look in the back of my mouth, there's a gaping hole where one was, and stitches where another was (both bottom wisdom teeth were impacted, apparently). I guess I should have had them out a few years ago (I'm 22) because the Dr. said the roots were really close to the nerve. Now I'm just hoping and praying no dry sockets!

I think the best part of all was that my cheeks weren't that puffy (except for when I had the gauze in and no, I am NOT posting pictures). My husband says I'm fortunate, because he, along with a lot of other people, looked like a chipmunk after the procedure....

So now I'm at home and getting ready to watch more movies Life is rough! Thanks for all the stories to help prepare me!

Glad you survived!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I remember when I got mine out... it took forever, but it was worth the giant bowl if icecream at the end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top