Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 9:34:22 AM EDT
Ladies,

If I am being out of line here I apologize.

How many of you keep emergency supplies / kits handy ?

I have some single women friends and when we talk about the world wide situation, they acknowledge that things are certainly...interesting, but when I bring up the subject of building an emergency kit or keeping supplies on hand, they rapidly change the subject.  

Is prepping for emergencies just a "guy thing" ?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, at least as far as I am/was concerned, that is a guy thing. GC says he doesn't think so, that he has a few female co-workers who stockpile also. I do now, but in all honesty if GC wasn't around I probably wouldn't.

But then I don't take care of the car like he does either. However, he would rather DIE than make the bed. So I guess we compliment each other that way!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, I don't think it's a guy thing.  When I was a single mom I had a emergency bug-out kit.  Not as detailed as it could have or maybe should have been but it was there.  

-Mrs.Monk
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I was always taught by my father to keep an extensive first aid kit, extra tools in the car and an extra spar tire if I can.  He also told me and still does that I should not buy everything that I see, but to only get the things that I need and can not make myself.  I try to stock up on things that I may need if something happened and I needed it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, see there you go!! I stand corrected!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Not single, but I do prepare as much as we can. It's not just a guy thing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:50:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems to me the vast majority of people are unprepared to take care of themselves in an emergency and it doesn't really make a difference whether they're women or parents or single. Just the way people in general are.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:55:39 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife isn't a single mom and she has all that stuff on hand. Of course she's a registered nurse and teaches infant safety and CPR classes to new and expecting parents so she lives that kind of stuff on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:15:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm a single mom.  I keep a first aid kit in my car and a small tool bag.  I've got a small stash of foodstuffs and water.  But nothing major.  I really should stock up more.  I keep extra firewood on hand in case of a power outage as well.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Single, check. Mom, check.  What's the difference?  People are stupid regardless of marital status or how many deductions they have.

What's in my trunk:

Road hazzard kit (jumper cables, 1st aid kit, road reflector thingies, fix a flat, etc)
spare tire & tools to put it on (obviously)
2 blankets
knife
flashlight
bible, rosary (around the rear view mirror - in case of emergency pull here for spiritual guidance.)
snow scraper
lighter
portable air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter (helped a guy pump up his tire at the NRA range one night.  My air compressor beat his little foot pump.  Ha ha!
misc. junk
change of clothes
rain poncho stuff
bungie cords
rope
some cash & a spare credit card where you can't find it
Always have my phone & the car charger stays in the car
iPod & charger.  Hey! This is important!
Usually have my gun

Need to add food & water.  Does the kibble I find under my daughter's booster seat count? Also need to switch out the change of clothes. The kids are growing out of the ones that are in there and I need to put in more winterish kinds.

I need to clean out my car.

What am I missing?  Open for suggestions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top