Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2007 8:45:49 PM EDT
She's the only person I've ever met with that first name.  I think it's very classy.

I've never actually MET her in person, but she's the copy-editor of the main empirical journal in my field, so when I do publish in that journal, I interact with her quite a bit, as we email manuscripts back and forth. In fact, I'm sending a final version back to her tomorrow, and she's going to be pissed because I found an error that may screw up some formatting.  

Anyhoo - I just think it's a neat name, and was curious what other unusual women's names you gals think are pretty neat, that you don't see very often.

(Speaking of unusual names, my mom's first name is Tove.)
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 3:29:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, my mom and her family are Dutch, and the names I like are Aleida,Wilhelmenia, Marieke, Anneke, and Anjeanette.
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I know a woman named Turquoise.  I think she'd like to be named Persephone.
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I knew a persephone in real life too.
And an Arora

Quoted:
The Persephone

Robert Moog

Bone head.  

Persephone is the goddess of the underworld in Greek mythology. She is the daughter of Zeus and Demeter, goddess of the harvest. Persephone was such a beautiful young woman that everyone loved her, even Hades wanted her for himself. One day, when she was collecting flowers on the plain of Enna, the earth suddenly opened and Hades rose up from the gap and abducted her. None but Zeus, and the all-seeing sun, Helios, had noticed it.

Broken-hearted, Demeter wandered the earth, looking for her daughter until Helios revealed what had happened. Demeter was so angry that she withdrew herself in loneliness, and the earth ceased to be fertile. Knowing this could not continue much longer, Zeus sent Hermes down to Hades to make him release Persephone. Hades grudgingly agreed, but before she went back he gave Persephone a pomegranate (or the seeds of a pomegranate, according to some sources). When she later ate of it, it bound her to underworld forever and she had to stay there one-third of the year. The other months she stayed with her mother. When Persephone was in Hades, Demeter refused to let anything grow and winter began. This myth is a symbol of the budding and dying of nature. In the Eleusinian mysteries, this happening was celebrated in honor of Demeter and Persephone, who was known in this cult as Kore.

The Romans called her Proserpine.

Her names means something like "she who destroys the light."

Yeah! Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!:

As wife of Pluto, she sent spectres, ruled the ghosts, and carried into effect the curses of men."

The Abduction of Persephone by Pluto
1621-1622
Gian Lorenzo Bernini

Very dramatic

Check out the close-up of his grip. This is done in marble mind you.  Her flesh is soft and appears to give under the pressure of his hands.  

Here you can see the tears on her cheek. Notice the muscles in her shoulders and back flex as she tries to push him away.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then there's this Persephone from the matrix. And she's smart enough to keep silver bullets in her derringer.

Doublefeed and I tried figuring out what she's carrying and I think we came up with this:

Good girl!  

COP 357 Derringer:
The COP 357 was specifically designed as a police off duty weapon or a backup handgun. The now defunct COP Inc. of Torrance, California, originally produced the COP, or Compact Off-Duty Police. The weapon is no longer produced but is still available used.

The weapon is basically a four shot derringer and is designed to combine the flatness of an automatic pistol with instant readiness of a revolver. It provides the abity to fire quick sucessive shots while it can be carried in the loaded and firing position with little chance of accidental discharge. This is due to having a heavy trigger pull.

The COP has an intersting and unusual firing mechanism. The weapon has an internal hammer and the pistol has one firing pin for each barrel. As the trigger is pulled, an internal ratchet is actuated that lines up to a cocking hammer and one of the four firing pins. After the trigger has traveled to the end of its stroke, the internal hammer is released, exerting force on the ratchet which in turn pushes one of the firing pins forward, igniting the primer, and firing the bullet. Each subsequent pull of the trigger causes the ratchet to line up with the next firing pin in the sequence and firing the bullet in that chamber, until the gun is out of ammunition or the shooter stops pulling the trigger.

The weapon is made entirely of Semi-matte stainless steel, except for the grips, which are made of checkered wood. It is very tough and is relatively heavy at 28 ounces unloaded. It is fairly blocky which makes it harder to conceal than many two barrel derringers are.

Weight: 1.75 lbs (0.8 kg) empty.
Caliber: .357 Magnum (Can fire .38 as well.)
Overall Length: 5.6 inches (14.2 cm).
Width: 1.062 inches (2.7 cm).
Height: 4.1 inches (10.4 cm).
Action: Double Action.
Range: 70 ft (21 m).
Payload: 4 rounds .
Cost: $350 to $550.
Made in: USA.
Special: Highly Concealable, Stainless Steel Construction, Tough Construction

Link Posted: 7/12/2007 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]
the detail on that sculpture is amazing. looks like a black and white photograph of real people in that pose. simply amazing.
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
the detail on that sculpture is amazing. looks like a black and white photograph of real people in that pose. simply amazing.

That is a phenomenal sculpture.

Thanks for posting all the good info, Persephone!  Your user name has always been one of the coolest on ar15.com.
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for posting all the good info, Persephone!  Your user name has always been one of the coolest on ar15.com.

Thanks Prof!
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#9]
N/M
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]
n/m

Didn't realize I was in women shooter forum. It won't happen again.

"active topics"
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

See Prof, what did I tell ya. LOL

To be fair, my eyes did go straight to the sculpture, because it is just amazing, and I started wondering who the sculptor was (and also thought perhaps Michaelangelo ).  For some reason, I totally missed your description of who had made, but I promise it wasn't because of Monica Bellucci.

Link Posted: 7/12/2007 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Persephone =

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 2:05:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See Prof, what did I tell ya. LOL

To be fair, my eyes did go straight to the sculpture, because it is just amazing, and I started wondering who the sculptor was (and also thought perhaps Michaelangelo ).  For some reason, I totally missed your description of who had made, but I promise it wasn't because of Monica Bellucci.

Well, I've gone back and edited it again, but I promise the title and artist was there from the start.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 6:30:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I ran this post through the Arfcom Truth in Posting Filter and this spat out:

Quoted:
Thanks for posting all the good info, Persephone! If I wasn't currently married I'd date you in a heart beat.

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Almost all Perses are good looking...almost.

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Our Persephone likes Motorhead, so she wins !!!

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 7/20/2007 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#19]
So do I , shes about 6'2" and a stunningly beautiful blond.  Have not seen her in years though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#20]
That COP 357 Derringer was used in Battlestar Galactica.  Check out the eps. "Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 2".  I've always wondered what that gun was, Thanks Persephone!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That COP 357 Derringer was used in Battlestar Galactica.  Check out the eps. "Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 2".  I've always wondered what that gun was, Thanks Persephone!

Vulcan94

It's a nifty little gut buster isn't it.  purty too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The sculpture is certainly amazing, to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I love the name even more now...........

dang it..............
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I know a little girl with that name.  She's about three, and as cute as the sculpture is magnificent.

It's a beautiful name.

Kitties
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top