Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 7:49:01 AM EDT
My wife and I are wanting to hit the range today, since she only has to work a half-day...the only catch is she thinks there might be a bun in the oven [too early to tell just yet] and was concerned about adverse effects on the baby [it's an indoor range].

Anybody have any advice on this?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Take this for what it is worth, when I was pregnant I asked my doctor the same question and he said not to go shooting while pregnant.  The reason he gave was that it was too loud.  Yep, no ear protection for the baby.  I decided not to risk it, and didn't go shooting, but ?  Who knows, maybe he was nuts!

I was also concerned about the lead in an indoor range.

Congrats on the possible baby!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Take this for what it is worth, when I was pregnant I asked my doctor the same question and he said not to go shooting while pregnant.  The reason he gave was that it was too loud.  Yep, no ear protection for the baby.  I decided not to risk it, and didn't go shooting, but ?  Who knows, maybe he was nuts!

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the advice.

yeah I got the same advice a few months ago.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

BIG +1
noise and concussion is not good for the unborn (only good for the born and jaded!)
lead and other toxins are HORRIBLE for the unborn...

....congrats by the way

hmmm glad I'll never be pregnant, not sure I could go 9 months without.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats!  

Yep, I got the same advice about staying away from the range regarding the noise and lead exposure.  Better to be safe.  

I'll probably try practicing with an airsoft or something just to keep the muscle memory until I can get back to the range.  

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I think plinking with a 22 rimfire outside without other shooting anything larger nearby should be ok.
Remember, even if the range is outside and it has a roof over it (like the one I usually shot at) this will greatly increase the noise decibels.
It would better if the light plinking was done in an area where others are not shooting.
I would avoid any indoor range due to the greatly increased noise and exposure to chemicals from the combustion process in addition to the possible lead exposure.
Immediately start taking Folic Acid, as this has shown to greatly decrese the chance of birth defects, and increase dairy product consumption.
An early visit to the doc is highly recommend.
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Here’s my professional opinion

Noise is ok. Recoil is ok. The only thing to be concern with an indoor range is lead. However, unless she works at the range or shoots there very often there’s nothing to wary about. She should start taking folic acid ASAP.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the congrats, all..we're not 100% positive yet, though!

Thanks also for the advice, figured it was probably along those lines.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I hunted the entire 9 months I was preggo.  Patty
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I never thought it was a problem, especially in the first trimester. Seems to me the womb would protect from the sound but then I'm an electrical and not an acoustic engineer, and definitely not a gyno, so who knows...

Congrats to you and your wife FSS! Children are the best gift that life has to offer
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#11]
ok I get the lead exposure .... but sound .... the baby/possible baby at a month old does not have ears. It would be only the size of a pea and a .45 round at 2 months.

now at several months I could maybe understand the hearing thing.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Lead is bad; noise is bad.

As far as sound, it's not clear to me if you need to worry for several more months. The hearing is not yet developed, however sound can still be transmitted via fluid kind of like a shock wave.

Anyway, I would play it safe and not take any chances.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know about the first trimester, but I was told that the amniotic fluid amplifies sound - which is why they now advise against plonking headphones over your belly and playing Mozart to the baby.

I didn't shoot while I was pregnant because of both the noise and the lead issues.

Oh, and congratulations!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#14]
My friend's wife is a dept. firearms instructor and her Dr. said she couldn't perform that duty while pregnant due to the lead exposure and noise.

She was bummed but of course followed the directive.

SoS

PS and congrats!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks all for the great info. As it turns out, things are looking negative as far as pregnancy is concerned...will know for sure here in a few days.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top