Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 6:17:46 PM EDT
www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/douggiles/2006/04/01/192176.html

Like, dislike?

Should I run away with my tail between my legs?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
toooooooooooo long
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
An article that comes out to 1.5 pages of type is too long?  I read through it in about 2 minutes.  It's basic premise is that boys should not be raised to be copies of women, which is what radical feminists want.

Since y'all want the cliff notes:

The clear message that comes from popular culture is that masculinity sucks, and femininity is fabulous—even for men.  Men who would be men are getting pounded in pop culture more than Scott Phillips’ drum skins during a gig, and everyone is expected to be cool with it.
<snip>
This leaves two options for parents of boys who want them to become men: 1) capitulate to the current cultural castration in raising their male kid or 2) rebel against the emasculating metrosexual machine.

I suggest rebellion—unless you’re cool with your son acting like JLo.
<snip a bit more>
God created men to be wild, to lead, to make life better for everyone, to slay serpents, to be wise and to reflect His majesty
<snip the rest>

I'm making sure the left-wing radical feminists will hate my boys.  
I'm teaching them chivalry.

And how to shoot:
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:09:37 AM EDT
[#5]

boys should not be raised to be copies of women

Isn't that just basic common sense?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

boys should not be raised to be copies of women

Isn't that just basic common sense?

I've typed this in another thread...but it fits here as well:
Common sense AIN'T so common!

ETA: If it were common, this would not be a 5-part series written by a man who has raised 2 DAUGHTERS.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If it were common, this would not be a 5-part series written by a man who has raised 2 DAUGHTERS.

That IS pretty freakin' funny!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
An article that comes out to 1.5 pages of type is too long?

Well good for you.  I just wasn't in the mood to read anything more than a few sentences. <shrug>

Thanks for the cliff notes.

so, the original question was like/dislike??  (see, my ADD is not TOO bad)

if thats the cliff's notes, i like it--men are men and women are women

i dont understand why this is a hard concept  

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I feel very strongly about this subject and liked the message. Not sure he need to lean so heavily on the Bible to make the point, but a point well taken.
It has been a long standing false sterotyping in my life-time that "men are stupid and women are nutz"...raised by a man-hating crazy woman, I can say with utter clearity that if we raise our children (male and female) to understand that men and women are just wired differently society might just get over itself and let boys grow into the men that nature intended. Boys can be raised with values and intellect without being brow-beaten into squishy replicas of what a woman thinks a man should be. Boys should not be expected digest  things in the same way women do and men need to understand that they will never understand women because we're making it up as we go anyway...why the hell do you think we go to the bathroom in pairs.  Why does a man who is well groomed and has pride in his appearance have to be branded a metrosexual.  I was raised military, that used to be called a matter of IGA. A real man can be smart, witty, chivalrious and yes scratch his ass and fart. For cryin' out loud females do it too, there is just a time and place for everything. I'm tired of seeing the concept of an Alpha Male translated into some knuckle-dragging pig. Let our boys grow into real men.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#11]
About damn time someone said it, and probably better than I could have.  Women (not a generalization....only an expeditious way to get the point across).need to quit meddling in the development of men.  We get cues from both sexes, but just as a man can never know how to be a woman, a woman can never know how to be a man.  It just can't happen.  Men need to be men, and we are loosing many "real" men to the likes of the confused boys with too much feminine side.  Men and women have different functions, it's hardwired into who we are, but it takes a good role model to bring it out.  We need more men, and less boys.  We will never have any more men in a few generations at this pace, where men can't be men because it's politically incorrect to be a real man (or the definition has been rewritten by the feminists).  Anyhow, I may have to take my licks, but deep down, in your hearts, which would you rather be with?

A girly man with sexual confusion who looks pretty and acts like one of the girls.  High maintance, doesn't like to do dirty work, worries about his hair-do as much as you do, can't camp, hunt, fish, etc.

OR

A man who acts, dresses, smells, works like a man, and treats you well.  Low maintance, high work drive, good at camping, fishing, shooting, etc?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Perhaps his Biblical references are to refute a popular evangelical Christian practice of trying to make boys really really nice, nigh unto 'perfect'. Disclaimer: this does not happen in all evangelical Christian situations.

My oldest of four is a boy, then three girls. He was totally different than the girls!!! He thought of things the girls never would! Fell in love with 'Treasure Island' and 'became' various rakish characters in history as we studied them (homeschool)... swords, guns, ropes and knives... how come my daughters never thought to test the wood in their bedroom doorjamb with the tip of a knife?

Today he is a music teacher, percussionist, crackshot, hiker, husband and doesn't apoligize for being a man. Loves his wife to pieces, manages his money, argues a good point and laughs his ass off when he feels like it.

He's far from perfect, but I'm proud of him!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I have noticed that kids always seem to be "Daddies little girl" and "Momma's little man" Once they get a little older things just kinda change over into Momma teaching the girl,Daddy teaching the boy.With parents being too busy to raise their kids the switch never gets done.Many of my son's former girlfriends couldn't cook,sew or clean to save their lives (not that thats what their for) but they couldn't turn a wrench, build a house or pee standing up either.

After 2 or 3 generations of messed up parenting kids won't have a clue as to what it takes to be a "Man" or a "Lady"
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have noticed that kids always seem to be "Daddies little girl" and "Momma's little man" Once they get a little older things just kinda change over into Momma teaching the girl,Daddy teaching the boy.With parents being too busy to raise their kids the switch never gets done.Many of my son's former girlfriends couldn't cook,sew or clean to save their lives (not that thats what their for) but they couldn't turn a wrench, build a house or pee standing up either.

After 2 or 3 generations of messed up parenting kids won't have a clue as to what it takes to be a "Man" or a "Lady"

If I may toss in my 2 cents again.....Oh, hell..here's a nickle

As a kid  I built models, I had my own 'work bench' that Dad and I built, I read, drew, painted with water color, set ants mounds a blaze with a magnifying glass and hung lizards from my ears......Mom got me dolls and patten leather shoes and dresses and rolled around in the dirt in them.....was I raised "like a boy" or did my parents just foster what interested me as a person rather a gender perception? I love my jeans and sneakers and I love my heels and make up....and men.  I feel it's a question of nurturing your child with values and fostering what  nature intends for them as people...not trying to cram them (male or female) into some warrped perception of a gender role.  Strong positive role models breed strong positive gender roles. I'm an odd bird, I get that. I just really think parents should let their kids "grow into the pack" we are all born into a designation and society's politically correct BS just chaps my ass to no end. For the record, squishy boys bug me.  I'm a big fan of the Alpha Male and I see fewer and fewer of them coming out of society these days. I'm done...I think
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm a big fan of the Alpha Male

Sorry, I'm already taken

and I'm raising 5 more Alpha Males
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a big fan of the Alpha Male

Sorry, I'm already taken

and I'm raising 5 more Alpha Males

You go "pack daddy".... it's gonna be hard to keep the human race going with men who are "really into" manicures
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I was flipping channels the other day and landed on "Fight Club".  Didn't get to see the whole thing, just stumbled in somewhere near the beginning and caught the part where one of them laments that they are "a generation of men raised by women".  Boys need men for role models.  Good, intellegent, capable, strong, hard-working men.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
my parents just fostered what interested me as a person rather a gender perception

so, did mine, thank God, which is why i can cook, crossstitch, shoot, play a musical instrument, groom and ride horses, throw a football, swear, drink beer and occasionally wear a dress

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
my parents just fostered what interested me as a person rather a gender perception

so, did mine, thank God, which is why i can cook, crossstitch, shoot, play a musical instrument, groom and ride horses, throw a football, swear, drink beer and occasionally wear a dress

I see your dress and raise you a pair of 4" heels!

On your list, I cannot throw a football. Never could.
I believe I make up for it in the swearing.....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

POST DELETED...FOR FEAR I KILLED THE THREAD...IT'S A VALID SUBJECT AND SHOULDN'T DIE.....reply though intended to be goofy, my have been over the line of what is appropriate in Womens' Forum, I appologise.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

POST DELETED...FOR FEAR I KILLED THE THREAD...IT'S A VALID SUBJECT AND SHOULDN'T DIE.....reply though intended to be goofy, my have been over the line of what is appropriate in Womens' Forum, I appologise.

Darn, I missed it.  

Over the top like: seeing the dress and 4" heels, and upping the ante to a thong and a push up bra?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Darn, I missed it.  

Over the top like: seeing the dress and 4" heels, and upping the ante to a thong and a push up bra?  

Something like that..." I see your heels and raise your dress"
can't throw a foodball, but I know how to hold my liquor
                                                           ...............by the ears
those were the highlights...I know girls can be smutty too, just not sure how far to toss myself over the line.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone who dares complain about kids being raised by women who doesn't do his fair share in child rearing needs to pony up.  I'm all for manly men who are truly manly.  That means they take responsibility instead of passing it on to the next guy or the women in their lives.  Grow up and be father-figures, not do-nothings with opinions.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Something like that..." I see your heels and raise your dress"
can't throw a foodball, but I know how to hold my liquor
                                                           ...............by the ears
those were the highlights...I know girls can be smutty too, just not sure how far to toss myself over the line.  

I love you gals...I really do!!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

dont censor yourself here, dear

we are all grownups--sometimes this forum moves slower than others, im sure thats all it was--i saw your reply and thought it was quite funny  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dont censor yourself here, dear

we are all grownups--sometimes this forum moves slower than others, im sure thats all it was--i saw your reply and thought it was quite funny  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top