Please
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:57:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:09:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:06:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If she's not a member here, sign her up and tell her it takes several days to "activate" the account.  Keep her away and have a thread or two asking for IMs to her account with all the reasons she should marry you.  Or not.  Heh  

I LIKE this idea.

Beekeep, you are such a romantic.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]
However you do it, you MUST get down on one knee.  And you really really should ask for her fathers approval/permission.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
However you do it, you MUST get down on one knee.  And you really really should ask for her fathers approval/permission.  

Both very important, and two of the things I remember the most.  Bigscrun didn't ask my dad, but he asked my mom (who's my mom, dad, sister & best friend all wrapped up into one).

Whatever you do, do it from the heart.  Remember its not always about how/where you do it, but your sincerity (sp?).

Congratulations, and good luck!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, you could try asking her if she'll marry you.    That would be the normal way to go.

Skip anything involving food or drink.  

Some women prefer private, some prefer more public, you know her best, so use that to find a place that's romantic, appropriate, and available.   Something special as mentioned, or something like where you went on your first date, or other equally disgustingly romantic type spot.  etc.  

Subtle suprise, good but not obvious lead up, etc.  

Oh yeah you should probably have a ring too.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If she's not a member here, sign her up and tell her it takes several days to "activate" the account.  Keep her away and have a thread or two asking for IMs to her account with all the reasons she should marry you.  Or not.  Heh  

I LIKE this idea.

Beekeep, you are such a romantic.

Whaaaat??  I was trying to make a joke.  Oh to hell with it.  I just ain't funny.  

Okay--yes I am a romantic.    

. . . But please tell my wife, she doesn't think so.

My sarcasm just is NOT working today.
Dammit....
HATE when that happens!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I love you with all my heart.
Would you marry me?

Am I missing something here?
Why is this so difficult?

Some people just have to make life harder than it has to be  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Would you marry me?

Because she already said she wants something special not just sitting on a couch, give her the ring, and say hey baby let's get hitched.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Would you marry me?

Because she already said she wants something special not just sitting on a couch, give her the ring, and say hey baby let's get hitched.

Oh.
One of those "high maintenance" women, I guess.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My sarcasm just is NOT working today.
Dammit....
HATE when that happens!

We need to just declare Fridays "We're 'tards Day."  

The "kissing" smiley got me all flustered.  

Hell, what's this one do to ya?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Whatever you do, DON'T try to be cute and surprise her with a ring in her wine/champagne glass or hidden in the food somewhere.  The bling bling kinda loses it's appeal once it has been swallowed accidentally, and then Boldly Goes Where No Man Has Gone Before...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Would you marry me?

Let's see... you already have a $5,000 ring; she's already said she wanted "something special" (meaning she'll probably say 'yes')...  that leaves the element of surprise somewhat wanting, so... if you can add that element somehow, maybe it will make things special for her.  

One thing, I wouldn't risk putting the ring any place risky or cute.  Two thing, not sure the father thing is best, depends on the father (and her).  While it gets me choked up to think about an ideal father/daughter situation where that would be really sweet, um... they don't always exist.  

If she's the type and you have a good relationship with her family, consider involving them.  That from one who is totally NOT the type.

No restaurants, flying planes, loud speakers or anything of that sort.  That suggests you are entirely too assured of her answer.  But, an intimate place suggestive of nature, trust, or "forever" would be cool... like sitting in front of a waterfall... You could do it some creative way just before you've scheduled a weekend get-away (to the coast, Big Bend, or a Hill County bed and breakfast)  that would be a nice "memory maker".   That way, you'd have an entire weekend to celebrate... or right before a family event where she can show off her ring and, of course, you.

But of course, you know her speed.  Maybe she's rather you skydived onto the top of her office building in a pink bunny costume... no telling.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Would you marry me?

A nice icebreaker might go like:

"How would you like to have all my money?"

If she says yes, offer the ring.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Whatever you do, DON'T try to be cute and surprise her with a ring in her wine/champagne glass or hidden in the food somewhere.  The bling bling kinda loses it's appeal once it has been swallowed accidentally, and then Boldly Goes Where No Man Has Gone Before...

How do you know she doesn't -- er, nevermind.  Suffice it to say my arfcom response would differ from my PieU response.  

(Sorry jadams -- it's like an automatic response sometimes with me )
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Well this thread somehow went to a bad place.......
I'm now over my "surprise."
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:33:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

haha yeah +1
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:46:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"I want something "special" when you ask me to marry you."  

Does anyone else think that is a tiny bit odd?  

I do.  Not only is it odd, it's selfish.  She's turning a landmark event into something she's trying to control...the ring, the proposal.  She's totally missing the point of WHY this is happening and focusing on the 'me, me, me' factor too much.

Sorry J, you know I love ya, but if I were you, every time she brings up the M word, I'd wait a month to propose.  Keep her on her toes and let her know that you'll do WHATEVER, WHENEVER, HOWEVER you want.

Odds on the number of attendants?  I'd bet 10.  

Total?  Or just bridesmaids?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"I want something "special" when you ask me to marry you."  

Does anyone else think that is a tiny bit odd?  

I do.  Not only is it odd, it's selfish.  She's turning a landmark event into something she's trying to control...the ring, the proposal.  She's totally missing the point of WHY this is happening and focusing on the 'me, me, me' factor too much.

Sorry J, you know I love ya, but if I were you, every time she brings up the M word, I'd wait a month to propose.  Keep her on her toes and let her know that you'll do WHATEVER, WHENEVER, HOWEVER you want.

Jadams???
My advice...book a romantic trip and elope.
Big weddings are NOT for the couple. They are for everyone else.
And they blow chunks.
I know, I had one.
Go to some  Tropical Island and get married and come back with a great tan.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, this worked for me....

After a long day touring Georgetown in D.C., we retired to our hotel room and went to bed.  I held her head with one hand and told her I've been looking for someone special for so long, and over the past several months I've seen the light.

At this point, with the other hand, I opened a light-activated ring case with an engagement ring, the light shinging on us both.  

We're celebrating our third wedding anniversary this summer!!

Best,

Ed
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just bridesmaids, of course.  The dress will cost in excess of $5000 (at least).  

Was in a buddy's wedding (Houston-area) a while back.  There were 8 bridesmaids, each with "diva syndrome" (i.e. the wedding was about them, not the bride/groom/family/etc).
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I find it funny reading some of the responses here how some of you can make assumptions that she's high maintenance or the other comments made.  Some people tend to believe still in romance and don't have the piss poor attitude that some of you have because of the past experiences you have.  I've stayed single for a long time because I refuse to settle and I know that I found a good one in this girl.  So if she wants a certain ring and a mushy way of being proposed too then damn it I'm going to do it.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Cautionary tales, friend....... cautionary tales.

The annals of arfcom are replete with them, as well as tales of woe from folks who didn't heed them.

That said, if you know what you're doing, you really don't need us.*

Jake.

* That's probably a good thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top