Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/21/2006 12:10:49 PM EDT
The latest presentation from my boyfriend consisted of a small vial to keep on my keychain, with anti radiation potassium tablets.  He even calculated what to give the cats based on their weight.

He's so sweet.  Not sure how long we can survive on what he's stockpiled, and packed for us, but dang it's more than I'd survive with my purse alone.

He got a keychain which chirps if there is radiation detected.  One chirp ?  it's working.
2 chirps?  Get to your safe place.

We went to Maine for a long weekend, with the chirping accompanying us.  Fortunately just one chirp.

Dunno.  Sometimes I think he goes a bit overboard, but if he's just got our best interests in mind, how can I fault him?  

What's the most extreme thing your s/o has done for a SHTF scenario?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Bought a case instead of a 12 pack.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but he's already drinking it!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but he's already drinking it!

Good point.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]

WHERE CAN I GET THE RADIOLOGICAL METER KEY CHAIN THING!!!???

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Obviously, you need some things exlpained to you.

Quoted:
The latest presentation from my boyfriend consisted of a small vial to keep on my keychain, with anti radiation potassium tablets.

That ain't potassium, its cyanide.  Stick with me, you'll see I am not lying.

He even calculated what to give the cats based on their weight.

this is a critical piece of information that you are overlooking.  Guys do not like cats, we like dogs.  I bet you A. don't own a dog.  B. He did not provide a 'potassium pill' for the dog.

If it is A. don;t worry, he'll own a dog soon enough.

He's so sweet.  Not sure how long we can survive on what he's stockpiled, and packed for us, but dang it's more than I'd survive with my purse alone.

No, he's a guy.  He has this all planned out.

He got a keychain which chirps if there is radiation detected.  One chirp ?  it's working.
2 chirps?  Get to your safe place.

He is already training you. I like this guy.

We went to Maine for a long weekend, with the chirping accompanying us.  Fortunately just one chirp.

Dunno.  Sometimes I think he goes a bit overboard, but if he's just got our best interests in mind, how can I fault him?  

Here's how this one goes down....

You go off to work/shop.  He invites the hot twins from up the road over for a toss in the hay.

Before they arrive, he puts the cats in the living room and jimmy's the lock on the microwave.  He sets the microwave on high.

He has his way with the two vixens and you happen to come home early.

You walk in the door, and begin chirping!

He hears the chirps and hustles the two vixens out the window,

you immediately grab the cats, poison them and off yourself.  

He places the microwave back on the counter and tells the cops you were depressed.

TRG

PS.  He and the dog (new or current)  will watch Spike TV and eat MRE's while they haul off your body.

OK, OK.  Good point.  Note to self, have "anti radiation" pills tested.

lol. TRG, you may be teh ghey, but you're all right in my book!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Nuke-alert

ETA: NUKALERT
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#9]
he mostly stockpiles ammo

we dont have room for a lot of other stuff--when we move we both plan to have water, canned goods and other stuff for at least a few days
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
<snip for the sake of my bladder>

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#11]
woops, thought this was the SF...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I dunno..he bought them off some guy who came into his gun shop.

this is the one he has:

linky to nuke keychain

ETA :  That's NUKE keychain ..not nude keychain.  Brother!  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno..he bought them off some guy who came into his gun shop.

this is the one he has:

linky to nuke keychain

They are a bit cheaper on Nitro-Pak.

linkeroo
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

www.ki4u.com/products1.htm

www.nukalert.com/

BTW, they're not really "anti radiation pills".  They don't protect you from radiation per se, but they overload your body with iodine so your body doesn't absorb and store radioactive iodine 131, which poses a significant risk of tyroid cancer down the road.  I131 is a common fission product, is typically in gasous form and poses a significant long term health risk which can be easily prevented by using KI/KIO3 prior to exposure.  KI4U.com FAQ
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#15]
tag for links

Some of you folks need LOT more food and water.

Bob
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.nukalert.com/

BTW, they're not really "anti radiation pills".  They don't protect you from radiation per se, but they overload your body with iodine so your body doesn't absorb and store radioactive iodine 131, which poses a significant risk of tyroid cancer down the road.  I131 is a common fission product, is typically in gasous form and poses a significant long term health risk which can be easily prevented by using KI/KIO3 prior to exposure.  KI4U.com FAQ

thanks, Gamma762.  That's why I put this in the women's forum.   Cuz I don't know enough about it to post in Survival, and would probably get nailed by the Nazi's there.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
tag for links

Bob

And beer....don't forget the beer

<---is waaaaaaaay to silly to hang out in the survival forum...although I am learning!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.nukalert.com/

thanks, Gamma762.  That's why I put this in the women's forum.   Cuz I don't know enough about it to post in Survival, and would probably get nailed by the Nazi's there.

I hope you're just joking around Daisy b/c it's really not like that there (in the SF).
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag for links

Bob

<---is waaaaaaaay to silly to hang out in the survival forum...although I am learning!

They put up with me...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#20]
He makes sure we're stocked up on Ammo, water, canned goods etc. I'm pretty sure he has some other things up his sleeve. (And diapers - lots of diapers!)

If it were up to me it'd be chocolate and Merlot.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag for links

Bob

They put up with me...

Me too...but there I only lurk... so they dunno they are putting up with me!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.nukalert.com/

I hope you're just joking around Daisy b/c it's really not like that there (in the SF).

Oh, I don't think they'd be mean about it, IAMLEGEND.  Not at all.  I just don't have the time at work (when I surf) to get all technical.  I leave that to the boyfriend.  I know, typical female, right?
I'm not stupid.  I listen to what he says, I'm just not inclined to do any research on my own , at this point in time.
Maybe someday.  He's reading that book "How to survive the Coming Collapse" and getting more into it by the day, I think.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.nukalert.com/

No problem.  The thing to remember with those (which is why he got the keychain ) is that timely use of the product is critical.  If you know or suspect that there has been a reactor accident, nuclear incident, etc, you need to take one ASAP, then follow up on the dosing schedule if at all possible.  You just have to get the good iodine into your system before the bad iodine hits.  Also, younger folks are far more susceptable to the effects of radioactive iodine, if you have kids I'd make sure I had enough for all of them with backups (I have enough for all my nieces and nephews).  KI is pretty cheap and stores a long time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm telling you, that's a good woman.

She knows her role, and shuts her hole.

TRG

I practice discretion...when I get it right, I'll let you know how I did it!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag for links

Bob

No, you can brew your own beer.
(Yes, that has been discussed in the SF)
You will need far more than just ammo to get by in a SHTF.

Food (for at least a month, if not longer, plus methods for procuring more food i.e. garden)
Water/water purification
Ammo/Guns
Communications
Power
Fuel
And backups to all of it.

SF nut, checking in.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag for links

Bob

They put up with me...

That's what you think.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag for links

Bob

They put up with me...

That's what you think.

We have our methods...  Ve haff vays to make you talk..[:D

Ops
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Ways to make her talk? No shit?

She's a woman.

I would be more impressed if you had ways to make her STOP talking.  

TRG

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag for links

Bob

Food (for at least a month, if not longer, plus methods for procuring more food i.e. garden)
Water/water purification
Ammo/Guns
Communications
Power
Fuel

SF nut, checking in.

They have topics on home brewing???
I missed those...
<going back to look>
The things you learn here!

OK, not to hijack further, lest Daisy kill me, not all SHTF scenarios are created equal. And as we've seen in NOLA, "official" response isn't always what's expected, and can complicate things.
The food & water, for instance. OK, you've got a "month's" worth, for a family of 4. How are you gonna carry that during bugout and the roads are clogged with others bugging out?
<---missed that thread too
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag for links

Bob

Water/water purification
Ammo/Guns
Communications
Power
Fuel

SF nut, checking in.

They have topics on home brewing???
I missed those...
<going back to look>
The things you learn here!

OK, not to hijack further, lest Daisy kill me, not all SHTF scenarios are created equal. And as we've seen in NOLA, "official" response isn't always what's expected, and can complicate things.
The food & water, for instance. OK, you've got a "month's" worth, for a family of 4. How are you gonna carry that during bugout and the roads are clogged with others bugging out?
<---missed that thread too

You learn quickly.
Don't want to get indepth here, but basically this is how it works.

Bug in - one set of preps.
Bug out - another set of preps.

In terms of a Bug out, you have two choices - either leave before everyone else has, or leave after everyone else has already been long gone.
If you get stuck on the roads, well, that's what you have your vehicle mobility kit for.
Put it in 4wd, and get off road.
Also, any good survivalist knows the back roads, and railroad lines so as to have tertiary routes.
If the pooch is totally screwed, and the roads are impassable, well, that's why you packed your Bug Out Bag.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#35]
>Bug in - one set of preps.
>Bug out - another set of preps.

Yes, exactly.   Staying for our lovely hurricane here in New Orleans (rode out the storm with my over-prepared folks north of town) basically involved a natural gas generator, tons of water (extra for toilet-flushing purposes if necessary), and a pile of food and batteries.  The basic plan was to leave if the generator quit.  A barbecue grill and a propane cooking stove and all that got us through the few weeks of no power when services were pretty scarce.    

I've still got MRE's for next time......
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Tagged,

Ladies I hate to  barge into your area, but I needed a couple of these links
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:27:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
>Bug in - one set of preps.
>Bug out - another set of preps.

Yes, exactly.   Staying for our lovely hurricane here in New Orleans (rode out the storm with my over-prepared folks north of town) basically involved a natural gas generator, tons of water (extra for toilet-flushing purposes if necessary), and a pile of food and batteries.  The basic plan was to leave if the generator quit.  A barbecue grill and a propane cooking stove and all that got us through the few weeks of no power when services were pretty scarce.    

I've still got MRE's for next time......

Come back!!!
You've BEEN thru a SHTF...details!!!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:05:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes, there is a survival forum. I lurk there and read everyday and have learned alot. Hubby and I have been basically preparing for a while. We started shortly after we moved into our house. We had 4 days with no power and phones. I learn from every power outage etc. Now we have a few more mouths to feed so I have to prepare for that also, along with a baby. Our scenario is we would bug in. It would have to be something really drastic for us to leave, but we have been planning for that also.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
tag for links

Bob

ditto! (to both Bobs comments!)

H1
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:36:33 AM EDT
[#40]
A lot of preparation for SHTF that it seems a lot of those of the Testosterone Persuasion  overlook are the intangible informal business, social, linguistic, and familial connections that could get one through scenarios.

As we could likely find ourselves displaced, or if we are the ones bunkered in, on one side or the other of having skill and/or tangible property that we or other people need if we are displaced, we might find ourselves either

1) "Selling" our skills and property to others for protection OR

2) Serving as gatekeepers to let others in,or stop them from getting in.

A displaced couple shows up with a regular armamentarium, they know fist aid, speak the same dialect as you, and have their own equipment, you let them in.  If you are the ones displaced, and show up in a strange place in the same configuaration, you are likely to be let in the sanctuary.

It costs nothing to learn basic medical skills, other languages, keep in touch with your own family, and stay in good graces with powerful business aquaintances.  

Oh yeah, and please do FIFO (first in, first out) rotate that canned tuna in the meantime.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#41]
We're working on our home storage and fixing the wind mill to pump water with.   Our biggest threat besides the possibility of the Avian Flu pandamic is something bad happening at the Depot.  The military has provided us with radios that are suppose to notify us of a problem.  They malfunction constantly.  Usually 3 oclock in the morning.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
We're working on our home storage and fixing the wind mill to pump water with.   Our biggest threat besides the possibility of the Avian Flu pandamic is something bad happening at the Depot.  The military has provided us with radios that are suppose to notify us of a problem.  They malfunction constantly.  Usually 3 oclock in the morning.  

Depot?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Ladies,

I'm going to point you in the direction of some pretty comprehensive survival information.  It should cover most of your needs except for arms.

www.providentliving.org/channel/0,11677,1706-1,00.html

Particularly:
----------------------
Food storage calculator:
www.providentliving.org/emergencyprep/calculator/0,11242,2008-1,00.html

and for emergency preparedness in general:
www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,5653-1-2808-1,00.html

Review this stuff and you'll know more than most people in the survival forum.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Ladies,

I'm going to point you in the direction of some pretty comprehensive survival information.  It should cover most of your needs except for arms.

Particularly:
----------------------
Food storage calculator:

Don't have a very high opinion of the survival forum, eh?

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ladies,

Particularly:
----------------------
Food storage calculator:

I have a very high opinion of them.  I just have an even higher opinion of the source I cited.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ladies,

Particularly:
----------------------
Food storage calculator:

I have a very high opinion of them.  I just have an even higher opinion of the source I cited.

Well, the source you cited might be great but I don't think the amount of overall information in those links is enough that if someone reviewed it they would know more than most people in the survival forum.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ladies,

Particularly:
----------------------
Food storage calculator:

Well, the source you cited might be great but I don't think the amount of overall information in those links is enough that if someone reviewed it they would know more than most people in the survival forum.

Considering how much first hand survival experience from the past 170 years has gone into the creation of that website, I think you're underestimating the source I cited.

Ladies, I'm sorry for the hijack.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depot?

Yes, as luck might have it I live in the middle of nowhere which is where about 60 years ago the US Army decided to start stock piling their chemical warfare.  The old Agent Orange and Mustard Gas is stored in bunkards about 40 miles from me.  They [Raytheon] has built an incinerator and are currently burning these explosives and should be done in 3-4 years.  

Its referred to the Depot but its called the Umatilla Army Depot.  There is one in Arkansas, Utah and Johnston AToll [Island near Hawaii].  The Johnston AToll stock pile has been incenerated as has most of Arkansas.  What was left was sent here and to Utah.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ladies,

Particularly:
----------------------
Food storage calculator:

Considering how much first hand survival experience from the past 170 years has gone into the creation of that website, I think you're underestimating the source I cited.

Ladies, I'm sorry for the hijack.

I highlighted the part in red where I differentiated between the source of the information and the actual information I see there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Shane/Legend: Boys...stop it! You're in our sandbox...any and all info is welcome..

PATTY: Holy stockpiles, Batman!!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top