Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 12:46:07 PM EDT
I could use a little [a lot] of help with my eyebrows.  I lost them all because of my treatments.  I really didn't think something so superficial could effect me but it did.  I hated to even see myself with out any eyebrows.  I tried drawing them on but it looked geekish/ghoulish so I've been suffering waiting for them to grow back.

Well they're starting to grow back with a vengeance.  I have a million itty bitty eyebrow hairs sprouting near, around, on and in the general vicinity of my eyebrows.  Happy?  No, not really - it looks horrible.  No shape.  The little buggers are too small really to grab with tweezers and pull and I have decided not to use the gal down town who I used to go to.  She does a horrible job and I think I'm allergic to the wax.  

I would like a nice shape to my eyebrows and control the gazillion buggers growing where they're not suppose too.  Does anyone here do their own eyebrows?  Any tips?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I pluck, but when I lived in the UK my friend used to get these facial quality waxing strips to use at home ... No messy wax in a tub, it's already on the strip ...

(My mother always used to use hair removing cream for her eyebrows, she had it perfected to a fine art. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it though, getting it in your eye wouldn't be fun.)

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You should try threading.  No wax involved.  They weave a string (very thin) through the hair and pull it out the hair out that way.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont sweat the small stuff you can fix @ a later date. Go in the Hospital for months and see what you look like. I had to wear a hard collar 24/7 for 100days, awake/asleep ALWAYS! to secure the stability/fix it of my neck/scared spinal cord operation. Try not shaving for 4 months or just getting hosed off like a horse once a week standing in a  shower if the nurses felt like it.. Your a peachfuzz pmcn!!!!!....hope your progress is going well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Haven't done threading myself but heard good stuff about it, Maybe try better tweezers with a really flat head so you can grab more of it, Oh I also find it helps to take a really hot shower, and right after the shower do it, pull hair in direction of growth to pull it all out. That might be stupid obvious advice but its what I had heard and used

Don't let it bum you though :) I've seen your posts on here and you sound like a wonderful woman! I got that from just on here so I'm sure that beauty exudes from you in all ways.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you an aveda affiliated salon around?  Their wax is pretty decent, but I'm allergic to the stuff they use to clean it up, so long as I remember to tell them not to use it it's good.  I am completely hopeless with tweezers.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:22:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Patty, I have heard wonderful things about the "threading" also. They have a coupld of salons here that have taken off like a flash. My sister switched and swears she'll never go back to wax.
Now some other suggestions. Like  Tso-s_Chick suggested, trya flatter head tweezer. I have fine eyebrows and use a really flat tweezer or I can't get ahold of them.
Something else my girls just recently introduced me to is a razor for eyebrows. It is very small and thin so you can shave it without shaving to much. I think they picked it up at walmart. A package of 3 or 4 was like $4 or so.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the compliments and suggestions.  I'll look into them.  There isn't many resources near me so I was hoping to learn to do them myself.  I'll try the after shower trick - maybe the little buggers will be easier to catch.  

TBK1 you're the best.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the after the shower eyebrow plucking trick, too.

Most importantly, you're beautiful, patty...don't worry 'bout a few rascally hairs.

I plucked away too many of them years ago, and they never grew back quite right...better to have extra eyebrow hairs than drawing them in.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you considered the (mild version for facial use) cream depilatories for the forehead?  They are like Nair (that company even makes one) but are formulated milder for facial use.  I dould keep it away from the area between the eyebrows and the eyes though.

As for the tweezers, you can sharpen them yourself by getting one of those nail file- buffing things from a beauty supply (or I think even walmart has them now).  It will have four different surfaces, each of finer grit.  Pinch the file-buffer between the tips of the tweezers and pull away from the conjoined 'handle' of the tweezers.  Do this just like sharpening a knife, going from the grittiest to the finest grit.  By sharpening your tweezers like this you can get those tiny little hairs.

Of course some cheap tweezers are just hopeless.

Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I have thought of using the cream depilatories.  My problem is more how to shape the brow something between the mini neaderthal look I have bloosming now to a nicely shaped brow.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#12]
from everything I've read on here, you are an incredible person, Patty, so please don't think that unkempt (for now while they're growing back in) eyebrows are going to change your image at all...  (and that's me speaking as someone who's never even met you - I can only imagine how much stronger those in your close circle feel.)

+1 to threading, to sharpening your tweezers with a nail file, and to working on them after a shower.

as for shape, use an eye pencil (or, heck, even lip liner! ) to draw the shape you want, pluck outside the line, then clean it off with make-up remover...  a good site for knowing what shape is here.
(from the site: The perfect eyebrow starts above the inside corner of your eye (over the tear duct), and ends at the outside corner, above your eyelashes. Eyebrows should have an arch: in nature, it’s rarely where it should be, which is a frustrating commentary on standards of beauty. Ideally, the arch happens over the iris, the colored part of your eye. It should be gentle, so if you’re planning to reshape your arch, take it very, very slowly. Do a hair or two a day, and err on the side of caution. Hasty plucking can give you a surprised look that lasts for weeks.)

bottom line, though?  you are loved, and quite frankly, I'm just glad you're feeling well enough to notice your eyebrows and complain about them...  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you Donne3, thats about the kindest thing anyone could say.  I appreciate it and the support from others as well.  You're right, it is a nutty thing to be wacko about.  I'm glad I'm feeling well enough to care too!  I appreciate the link, they're great.  Did you see how much the shape of an eyebrow changed Heather Locklear and Claudia Schaffer [sp?]  Pretty amazing.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top