Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 6:07:56 PM EDT
My daughter is 6 days over due.  She feels as if she will be pregnant for ever.  She has been getting ideas from several people she knows, as to what could speed up going into labor.

So far she has walked, done squats, scrubbed the kitchen floor on her knees, and had sex.  So far, nothing has worked.  Anyone have any other silly things she can try?

I keep telling her the baby will be here when he gets here.  But, since she is willing to try anything, I can sit back and enjoy the entertainment.  So any "sure fire" activities we can make her do?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow.  6 days past due.  My wife can't even make it past 36 weeks!

Maybe a ride on a bumpy road?  in the bed of a pickup.  I wouldn't know.  We're usually rushing to the hospital hoping that we'll get there in time for my wife to get her epidural (missed it last time).
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
My first child was 2 weeks past due before they would finally induce me  We found out I was pregnant when I was 2 weeks along and I carried her for 42 weeks.  Talk about a long pregnancy  I tried it all, had sex, rode down a gravel road in a truck with no shocks, scrubbed the house clean, LONG LONG LONG walks, NOTHING worked so they finally induced me, I advise highly to not be induced unless absolutly necessary!!  I've had 2 kids, 1 induced, 1 natural, the 2nd child was MUCH easier, I only labored for about 8 hours with him, compared to the induced 22 hours of hard labor  Good luck and be sure to post pics when she finally has the baby
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Lots of sex.

Seriously, the prostaglandins help induce labor.

Yes...also try vibrating chairs (I am serious) and chinese food.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Ummm for the 3 days before i went into labor, we had lots of sex and I walked both on a treadmill and the road.  The CONSTANT doing of the 2, sent me in
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I did handstands in a swimming pool and my water broke.  Goofy as it might sound to do - handstands were the only way to relieve the pressure my daughter was putting on my spine.  It didn't occur to me that it might put me into labor.  I was several days over due though and had her 90 minutes later!

Patty
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the baby will come when it is ready.  All four of my children were late.  My son was three weeks overdue.  Nothing triggered labor - not even the doctor trying to induce me twice in those three weeks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Seafood.

Before baby #1, my wife had oyster on the half shell.  48 hours later, Michael was born.

Baby #2:  we had crawfish etoufee 2 days before Brendan was born.

Baby #3:  Shrimp about 2 days before Isaac was born.

Baby #4:  I believe we had shrimp and crab legs a couple of days prior to Seth's birth (1h 45min labor!).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Seafood.

Before baby #1, my wife had oyster on the half shell.  48 hours later, Michael was born.

Baby #4:  I believe we had shrimp and crab legs a couple of days prior to Seth's birth (1h 45min labor!).

4 kids...and your login name is "loonybin."

'nuff said.

to loonybin and MRS. Loonybin!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats to your daughter.  Is this her first?  As hard as it is to hear, and I know I hated hearing it, due dates are estimations and can be off 2 weeks either way.  Hopefully this little one will decide to come soon.  Has she talked to the doc about striping her membranes?  She might want to consider this if her cervix and baby are ready.  Lots of sex and nipple stimulation.  There are some homeopathic things to try - teas and such - she might want to google that and see what she comes up with.  

Mine:

1) 1 week "early" , water broke, many hours of labor flat on my back.
2) 2 days "late" doc stripped my membranes and that moved things along nicely - only she was breech -
3) 3 1/2 weeks early - induced - shortest labor yet.
4) we shall see ...

Good luck.

-Mrs.Monk
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife is 2 days past due and she is going to be induced the 23rd. We have tried the sex thing but no worky but it is good work when you can get it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
We have tried the sex thing but no worky but it is good work when you can get it.

Then you're not working enough!  It may take a few "sessions" close together to get enough of the hormones needed to start labor (oh darn).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Thats what I said!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Seafood.

4 kids...and your login name is "loonybin."

'nuff said.

to loonybin and MRS. Loonybin!

Yeah, well, I'm going to forbid my wife to eat any seafood during her last trimester this time.  Maybe we'll make it past 36 weeks!

and why do you think I picked this login name, huh?  It's where I live!

Syntax,
walking, activity, and sex (lots of it, actually, which the woman isn't always up to when she's uncomfortable like that) are really the best ways to get labor going.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I did handstands in a swimming pool and my water broke.  Goofy as it might sound to do - handstands were the only way to relieve the pressure my daughter was putting on my spine.  It didn't occur to me that it might put me into labor.  I was several days over due though and had her 90 minutes later!

Patty

Oh, I would have loved to see her try that one!!  However, she would have to break through the ice to get to the water!!

She went to the Doc this morning, she told her nothing had changed since last week.  she was so disappointed.  She was so depressed she stayed home.  She has been here everyday like clockwork, but, she just said she gives up.  She went for a walk with a freind and called me about 45 minutes ago.

"Guess what Mom!  I went for a walk, and I had 7 contractions and it hurts!!"

Gotta love someone with a deep appreciation of pain!!  So I hope she is on her way.  I tried telling her the whole watched pot never boils thing, to encourage her not to think about it so much, but she just said, they don't really boil water do they?  

This will be my 6th grandchild, damn that hurts too!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Cabbage soup, is old wives tale. Does it work? I dont know but it will make you Poop. and when you poop you do a Vasalva maneuver which is exhaling againist a close glotis. The three most common time to do a Valsalva Maneuver it when you poop, before you cough and during labor for women.  So give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#17]
My midwife says 75 percent of her clients give birth a week after the "due date"  naturally.  

She suggested a glass of white wine and a warm bath, but only if the water hasn't broken yet.

Never had to resort to any tricks; my water broke on the due date.  Classic.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Well my sixth grandchild was born February 22, @ 5:12 am.  He weighed 6lbs 4oz, and is 18 inches long.  A little Mouse.  Eathen Joseph Parker Oliphant.  That's a lot of name for such a little guy, but oh well, my kids get weirder with every child they have.

She had a fairly short labor.  What is up with these doctor's that insist these babies be held up when mom is complete?  She was fully dialated and she had to wait 45 minutes to push.  I never had an epidural, and my babies waited for no one.  This is the second time one of my girls has had to do this, the first one has a son with a permanent cone on his head, and this one ended up crapping since the water didn't break until the doc arrived and broke it!

So far no problems.

She did have cabbage rolls the day before, so, maybe submitting this thread, and the cabbage did the trick.  I'll post a pic in the next few days.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:07:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Aw, congrats.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:42:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Congratulations gramma! We're equal, I also have 6 grandkids! They are so sweet when little!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Congratulations!  I think waiting until you go into labor yourself makes an easier labor in the long run.  A lot of changes down south have to happen in order to get that watermellon out - it just can't be rushed [unless baby/momma are in trouble].  I feel sorry for mothers [especially first time mothers] who are tired of being pregnant and rush to induce.  My sister was that way.  I find it difficult to believe her doctor enduced her just because she nagged her but my sister claims she was induced 10 days before her due date because they were worried about the baby getting too big.  The baby was only 6 pounds at birth and she ended up having a C-Section.  I'm sure there's more involved then what I was told but from what I was told - I think it would have been wiser to have waited until she was ready!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Yep, a lot of docs these days will induce or schedule a c-section for the convenience - either of the mother or the doctors office (there is a office here that is know for scheduling c/s so the doctors have more control over their own schedules).  Bad idea to do it for convenience IMO.  Not good for the baby or mom.  However, there are instances where inducing early or scheduling a c/s is appropriate.  And to be ready to push but made to wait 45 minutes!!  I'd be more than a little upset with that doc if you tried to make me wait in that condition :)  For the most part, our bodies will do what they are designed to do if the docs (not all are like that, I  know) would just sit back and catch LOL!  

Congrats on the new sweet grandson!!!  

-MrsMonk
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Congratulations!!!  But since your grandson here only weighed 6 lbs, 4 oz, I'd have to say the OB miscalculated her due date .
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Congrats syntax!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#25]
They are so much cuter when they're out....

Congrats to you and yours.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#26]
My digital camera is shot.  He looks like a little old man whether the camera works or not!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow, he doesn't look as new bornish that's for sure.  He's so alert!  I wish I could hold him.  He's so cute!  Good Job Grandma and thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#28]
He is adorable!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Very precious! Looks like he's ready to give a one-two punch to the camera.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Congrats!  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#31]
A friend of mine tried this special raspberry herbal tea and went into labor the next day, I think some kind of chemical it gives off will help induce labor. You can lood for it at the local health store they will be able to direct you in the right direction. I also heard about castor oil.....but mostly just makes you nauseated and gives you the $hit$

I got enduced when my son was a week late and it was horrible. At first they gave me half of some pill to enduce contractions, it didn't work so they gave me a whole pill 3 hours later and 8 hours later nothing so they gave me a pitocin drip. I swear it felt like they were tearing out my insides. My contractions were so hard that it started to squeeze my son so hard that his heart rate would drop. They ended up having to flip me on my side after pushing session to increase circulation so he would be alright. I ended up being in active labor for and hour total labor time 22 hour.

Tell her to just be as patient as possible. Besides tell her to catch up on her sleep she won't get much of it after she has him/her.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#32]
That is one good looking kid there!  I hate to say it, but everyone knows most newborns are ugly to anyone but family.  It takes time for them to polish up I suppose.  This one here skipped that whole thing and is cute!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:07:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Aw, he's cute.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:16:01 AM EDT
[#34]
he's adorable!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#35]
What a cutie!! Congrats!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top