Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 8:41:03 AM EDT
I plan on going home early from work and surprising her tomorrow, but I need some ideas/hints on the food selection.  The only meat she eats is chicken, which narrows things down a little, and I was thinking Italian since it's her fav.  I will probably attempt chicken fettuccini, bread, & salad.  Also:

> white table cloth over the dining room table w/candle
> a little Sinatra or Crosby on the stereo
> grape juice in those champagne-looking bottles (she doesn't drink)
> roses in vase & rose petals for decoration (?)
> dessert:  boxed pie (Mrs. Smiths)
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds very nice..

I've made chicken fettucini alfredo with a ceasar salad, italian caesar salad dressing before and it wasn't that hard.  Most recipes for alfredo sauce call for a cup of parmesan cheese though.. unless you like your sauce a little thick 'n chunky, i'd go easy on the grated parmesan.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
BB, that sounds delightful.  You've got it all covered except for dessert.  How about chocolate dipped strawberries?  Easy to do...

actually, she likes the boxed pies/cakes (Mrs. Smiths?)   I think I may go that route due to lack of time to prepare.  On second thought, that is a great idea.  thanks
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Bettle, I have easy Chicken Picatta recipe with Tortellini Alfredo:

Dip boneless breasts in beaten egg then roll in Italian breadcrumbs that have been seasoned with grated Parmesean.
Brown each side in OLIVE OIL...don't cook thru... in large skillet. Not too much oil, since you want to save meat drippings.
Add a can of chicken broth and some sliced mushrooms (or omit the shrooms if you don't like)
Get lemon juice and flour and mix until syrupy (about 2-3 tablespoons juice and 3 tablespoons flour) in a measuring cup. When chicken is done, remove from pan, keep warm and stir in the lemon/flour mixture with a fork and let it thicken. Pour over chicken.
Serve with the tortellini alfredo (I think you already have a recipe for the alfredo).

Wicked good, easy and little clean up time!

The only accessory missing is candlelight.

And SP1's Strawberry idea ROCKS!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a lady but can i add my $ .02? Fix her an appetizer to munch on while she watches you put the final touches on dinner. Lots of women get off on watching you cook for her. Take your time while you talk to her. Let her languish in the moment of you doing everything for her.

A nice bruscetta: 1) slice some rounds off of a bagette, about 1/2" to 3/4" thick.
                             2) brush with olive oil and toast lightly under broiler or toaster oven(careful,        they burn fast).
                             3) top with diced tomatoes, garlic and a piece of fresh basil. cover with a slice of fresh mozarella.
                             4) stuff back under the broiler briefly to just melt the cheese.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Good ideas!

(and a couple of bad ideas )

perhaps I'll post an AAR
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:01:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:11:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Excellent menu BB.  Remember with those boxed pies they take a long time to cook [about an hour] so keep that in your plans.  You might add some bread sticks.  I have a recipe for what I call Killer Bread.  Its pretty easy to fix if you're interested.

Patty
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:15:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Excellent menu BB.  Remember with those boxed pies they take a long time to cook [about an hour] so keep that in your plans.  You might add some bread sticks.  I have a recipe for what I call Killer Bread.  Its pretty easy to fix if you're interested.

Patty

Agreed.  Due to lack of time I was planning on running by the grocery store and getting some of the fresh day bread that they keep warm in the little ovens out in the isle.  Go ahead and post it though I can use it at another time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#14]
That's a good idea.  My killer bread is pretty simple.  Just take a loaf of french bread, spread sour cream on it, sprinkle with garlic salt, top with mozerella cheese and toast in the oven. YUM.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I plan on going home early from work and surprising her tomorrow, but I need some ideas/hints on the food selection.  The only meat she eats is chicken, which narrows things down a little, and I was thinking Italian since it's her fav.  I will probably attempt chicken fettuccini, bread, & salad.  Also:

> white table cloth over the dining room table w/candle
> a little Sinatra or Crosby on the stereo
> grape juice in those champagne-looking bottles (she doesn't drink)
> roses in vase & rose petals for decoration (?)
> dessert:  boxed pie (Mrs. Smiths)

I know yo uare trying to impress her, and your menu sounds great, but, make sure you make smaller portions.  An overfull tummy makes a gal sleepy.

Besides, with a smaller portion you can dress up the plate with some little touches that will make her think you are a Greek God in the kitchen.

A thinly sliced orange, split and twisted, with a small bit sliced strawberries on it?  If she has a preference on fruit, you can substitute that.  Or a few slices of fresh tomato wedges?

A quick dessert can be made from a can of peaches, semi poached in wine (you could try grape juice?) and served over vanilla ice cream?  Let the juice simmer a little to condense before adding the peach (no juice from the can, the grape juice is sweet enough.  A light sprinkle of pecans on top is a good garnish.

Get creative on that plate.  Remember, 'You eat with your eyes first.'  If you spend about 2 extra minutes dressing the plate, it might get you closer to undressing her.  

TRG

PS.  Seriously, I am not gay.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, of course...  

Good advice.  I'm taking SP1Grrl's advice for strawberries/chocolate for dessert.  If you can think of a way to dress up a plate of chicken fettuccini alfredo, I'm all ears.  The tomato idea is great.  That also reminds me that I forgot to pick up the salad...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#24]

thanks again for the addtl tips.  One more thing - aside from the following activities:

> dinner
> dancing
> watching our wedding video
ending the night with:
> massage
>

what might I incorporate into the evening to make it even better?  I wish the weather was nice, we could go for a stroll at our favorite park
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
thanks again for the addtl tips.  One more thing - aside from the following activities:

> dinner
> dancing
> watching our wedding video
ending the night with:
> massage
>

what might I incorporate into the evening to make it even better?  I wish the weather was nice, we could go for a stroll at our favorite park

Hookers and blow, man.

TRG

Wow, I was impressed.....until that last comment!  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#27]

thanks folks!  looks like I did well :

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=437285
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top