Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 12:56:57 PM EDT
My wife and I got married last September after being together for seven years. I have been carrying a weapon for as long as we've been together and shooting for much longer than that. She is comfortable around firearms and even goes shooting with me sometimes. I know through by statements she has made to me and others that she feels safer in certain situations with my being armed and trained.

The problem, is that she is not interested in carrying a weapon of her own. I think it is always a good idea for a woman to be armed and trained to use a weapon. In her career, she has to deal with some real lowlifes and scumbags that have the potential to be dangerous, so I really think she should carry a weapon. She shoots my GLOCK 19 when we go to the range, and I was going to let her try out some different handguns to see what she would be most comfortable with, but she wasn't interested.

I don't expect her to ever be as passionate about shooting as I am. I just want her to view a pistol as a tool to have if she needs it.

Does anyone have ideas I might use to get her more interested or at least open to the idea of carrying a weapon??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
What does she do for work? I mean, it sounds like that is your chief concern. If it is (and not that you live in a high crime area or something along those lines) I'd appeal to that aspect since you are not with her at work.
FTR, I don't carry, and right now I don't see a need to do so. But if there was a need (such as, if I was a process server or something) THAT'S the angle I'd listen to.

ETA:  CONGRATS on your recent nuptials!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What does she do for work? I mean, it sounds like that is your chief concern. If it is (and not that you live in a high crime area or something along those lines) I'd appeal to that aspect since you are not with her at work.
FTR, I don't carry, and right now I don't see a need to do so. But if there was a need (such as, if I was a process server or something) THAT'S the angle I'd listen to.

ETA:  CONGRATS on your recent nuptials!

She is a treatment worker with the Cabinent for Families and Children. She has a degree in social work and has a very meaningful job. 90% percent of the people she deals with are children and handicapped adults in bad situations. The problem is some of the children have been removed from their parents who were abusive or dealing drugs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm finally taking my ccw class this Friday. Well, that's if I can get the day off, lol.  

My reasons for it:

1 - I work in a crappy area. We have security in the building and garage, but once you leave, it's a freaky place. Especially at night.

2 - Because I feel every law abiding individual has a right to defend themselves and others from criminals.

3 - I'd rather have my XD and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Not sure what you could do to convince her. Maybe just start by getting her own handgun. After I got my first two years ago, and my personal AR15 last year, I became much more interested in various shooting sports and self defense in general.

I still hate cleaning them, though. Just ask hubby.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If she's not comfortable carrying, then don't push her to do it.  

I am not pushing her to do anything. I would just like her to give it a chance. She is not uncomfortable around guns and actually enjoys shooting. Actually, she keeps a .30 carbine next to the bed for home defense. She doesn't think it likely that she will ever need a gun, so she doesn't think it be worth fooling with carrying one every day. I try to tell her that it's not about the odds, it's about the stakes.

Since she won't pick out a gun, I think I am going to get one and let her know that it is her gun for her to take when we go shooting. If she decides to carry it, fine. If she never does, at least she will have one she can call her own.

I have narrowed it down to a Kahr PM9 and a S&W 642. Both of these are small and light enough that they wouldn't be a burden to csrry, but powerful enough to get the job done. I am leaning towards the Kahr, because she much prefers shooting my autos, and the recoil is more manageable.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:40:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, maybe after you get the Kahr and she shoots it, she'll become open to the idea of carrying it.  If not, make sure she's up on situational awareness, at the very least.  Sometimes I carry, sometimes I don't.  Regardless, I try to always be aware of what's going on around me at all times.  The Mr. has ingrained that in me.

Going to agree with SP1 here. There is nothing anyone can say or do to get someone else to carry. It has to be up to them on their time frame. It took me awhile before I felt comfortable carrying and until the birth of our son 3 years ago, I DID NOT carry every day. (I do now)

Situational awareness is very important though, carrying or not. At least make sure she is aware of her surroundings.
If the idea of carrying a gun isn't her thing, try to at least get her some pepper spray or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:44:43 AM EDT
[#9]
The Monk carried everday for a long time and encouraged me to do the same but I wasn't comfortable with it - yet...For me it took an incident with an idiot before I was convinced to carry everyday.  Having a mindset of being aware of your surroundings everyday, everywhere is critical whether you carry or not  -  I would encourage that first and foremost.  

-MrsMonk
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I put the horse ahead of the cart on my previous post...

I'm already comfortable with my pistol and situationally aware. Perhaps one day, your wife might like the idea and carry. All in due time when she's ready.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top