Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 7:19:08 PM EDT
Hi everyone.  I'm just learning how to shoot (about the only thing my ex-bf was good for) and up to now have used other people's guns to shoot.

I'm short and don't weigh much.  What's the best pistol and rifle as far as weight.  All the bf's guns are really too long, too heavy, or too big for me.

What does everyone here use and how did you pick yours?  or did you build it yourself?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking of buying one to modify.  Then, after I'm familiar, build my second AR myself.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:42:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome. Don't let the guys scare you off.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:48:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/mhazelwd/ttiwwop.gif

Welcome aboard Erin.
ARcarbine, HKP2000 in 9mm would be a good choice, KHAR CW9 would be another good choice.

Best place to start would be a 9mm or 38 revolver. Bersa 380 is what I started on, excellent little gun, reliable and fairly accurate.

There are lots of choices out there, just go out looking, feeling, handling, feeling etc. Most dealers will be more then glad to help you.
Would highly recommend some kind of handgun class though too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hi everyone.  I'm just learning how to shoot (about the only thing my ex-bf was good for) and up to now have used other people's guns to shoot.

I'm short and don't weigh much.  What's the best pistol and rifle as far as weight.  All the bf's guns are really too long, too heavy, or too big for me.

What does everyone here use and how did you pick yours?  or did you build it yourself?

Start with 22s, learn the basics, shoot a lot.  Rifles: decide on semi auto, bolt, slide, single shot- loads of excellent ones by Marlin, Ruger, remington, Winchester, basically every maker.  Pistols: Ruger MK3, Browning Buckmark, SW 41, etc.  Revolvers: Rugers, SW, etc.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Ya knew it was going to come eventually, but boy, that was quick.

Ok, she's been initiated.   Welcome to the zoo.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:55:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And Don't feed the animals.

Welcome!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Someone forgot they were posting in the womens forum.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#11]
 Hi!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#12]
It's a requirement when you joined that you post pics of yourself.  It's required for all female members.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#13]
There is an indoor shooting range not too far from my house.  From dating a shooter, I've learned about classes in the area.  Once I find the handgun that fits me the best, I want to sign up for a few classes.  

My Dad has an old .22 -- the one he keeps under his pillow at night.   He has a pump-gun that shoots bee bees and when I was growing up he'd let me shoot pop cans in the backyard with it.  That's the extent of my handgun training. LOL

He taught my brother how to shoot but never taught me or my sisters really.  I always figured he thought that it wasn't "ladylike".  After high school, he wouldn't let me shoot pop cans in the backyard anymore!  I never shot anything but the cans, no accidents, and for some reason he didn't want me doing it anymore.  So, I gave up.  Even though, my mother shoots and keeps the .22 under HER pillow when he's gone!  

So, I'm out to learn on my own.  My family is 500 miles away so getting my brother to help me is a little inconvenient.  Funny...I never really had an interest until now (it's been a long time since pop cans) but I guess in my mind I relied on Dad to "save" me.  Now, with him so far away I realize I need to do something to learn how to protect myself.  Dad is old and he can't be there for me anymore.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HKP2000
Best place to start would be a 9mm or 38 revolver. Bersa 380 is what I started on, excellent little gun, reliable and fairly accurate.

There are lots of choices out there, just go out looking, feeling, handling, feeling etc. Most dealers will be more then glad to help you.
Would highly recommend some kind of handgun class though too.

This sounds like great advice.  I'm going to start surfing and shopping this week for the right one.  I'll check these out first.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#15]
+1 on the Bersa .380, my wife has the Bersa .32 and shot 100% in her CCW qual.(only one in the class!)

Styer AUG or FN P90 are great petite ladies rifles if the cost doesn't scare you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Check to see if that range near by you rents out anything.  They'd probably have good suggestions on what to try and then you could take it right into the range and see what you think, no commitment to buy.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome aboard.  Its nice to meet you.   Patty
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And Don't feed the animals.

Finally! An explanation for my slender frame!

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

OK, here's a pic of good carbines for someone who's small:

ARs are great!  Especially with the collapsible stock, so you can adjust it to yourself.

As far as pistols go, well, I have medium sized hands and 99% of the time, I have a 1911 in my hands, so I'm no use there.

Cheers,

kk7sm

ETA:  Big +1 on going to a range that has rentals, or many basic pistol classes will have a variety of guns to check out.  Speaking of which, in a .22 pistol, I think it was the Beretta NEOS that one of my former g/fs liked so much.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Do not bring your BS into the Women's Forum.***VA-gunnut***
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#23]
My suggestion to you is go to the local range and shoot as many guns as you possibly can to find what feels right to you.  Rent every single gun that you possibly can.  Don't worry about Caliber length weight etc, etc, etc, Find what is comfortable to you and shoot the hell out of it.  

My personal favorites

Handguns

Glock 19
Sig P228

Rifle

Homebuilt Car 15 with free float handguards (extremely light and low recoil).

Shotgun,

Mossberg 590DA1

The important thing is that you will shoot whatever you purchase or have, because all the hardware in the world does no good without practice and training.

ETA this is not a good first gun to shoot

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You rang?

I need a pictograph of that saying:
"This thread is useless without shoes!"

SO it's an old joke.  You gals know I'm realatively harmless.
so far
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome ErinGirl!

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Howdy, and welcome to the madness.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Welcome, Erin!

Beware of posting anything "personal" in GD.  That's my only advice, as I'm new to shooting as well.

But welcome to our world!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks, Daisy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Beware of posting anything "personal" in GD.  That's my only advice, as I'm new to shooting as well.

What she said.

GD can be a very rough place to be in.  It's not always good to ask stuff in there because sometimes people will be rude and post smart-aleck responses in there.  I speak from personal experience.

<Thread hijack mode disengaged>
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#31]

GT
And no it's not mine--I built it for my wife. And it isn't pink either--it's purple--my camera sucks!

(20 inch HBAR/Ameetec Arms lower and upper)
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I just finished building another AR the other day....

Oh, sorry. Where was I? Oh yes...

Welcome to the forum. Yes, I must concede that the Bersa .380 is an EXCELLENT starter gun. My wife started on it and she does famously with it. Also, a good starter for you might be the Glock 19 9mm. I have REALLY small hands for a man, and I find it does me wonders. So well, I carry it every day now.

For rifles, AR's are good. You can build and customize to your hearts content, as long as you have a good eye for deals and know where to look. If you're looking for something simple, a .22LR might with a simple scope might be up your alley.

If you feel adventurous, and if it's legal in your state, you can put a suppressor can on it and hear nothing. You won't even need hearing protection to shoot it unless you have someone shooting next to you with something larger. You can get good, inexpensive .22LR's just about anywhere.

Welcome to the madness... hope you find your home here.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Welcome ErinGirl

I'm petite, and love the AR-15 m4gery I built. Nice, little and lightweight, with purdy tan furniture. Also, my XD 9 subcompact is great for my small hands, but it does have some muzzle flip. Took me a while to get the hang of it, but I love it. The Pearce mag extensions help.

Just try a bunch of stuff until you find a rifle/pistol that feel comfortable and natural to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top