Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2005 7:17:05 PM EDT
He just came back from vacation yesterday.

The fool went and gave one to her.
He said he couldn't think of anything else to buy her.

When I saked him if she liked or not, he said she didn't tel him one way or the other.
So I asked "Did you sleep on the couch?"  
Him:No.
"Was the bed cold?"
Uh....(he looks away) You know how it is.

So he went the last week getting the silent and cold treatment.

STUPID! Just stupid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need help on this one before my last day of work tomorrow.

At lunch break I ask a co-worker what he's getting his wife for Christmas.

He says: A vacuum cleaner.

Me: You nuts?

Him: Why? She buys me tools. I'm getting her a womens tool.

Me: Uh, OK. Did she ask for it?

Him: No. When she asked me what I'm getting her for Christmas, I said a Vacuum Cleaner, she laughed.

Me: Of course she did.

Him: Why?

We went back and forth on this for 20 minuets. Nothing I said would convince him it's a bad idea.
Am I wrong?
Would you like one for Christmas?
Poll to follow
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTP

Ask him how the divorce process is after christmas..
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTP and No, you're not wrong.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
no problem as long as its a Dyson

he better have a small wrapped jewelry box too

maybe put it in the clear dust bin
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I said it's grounds for divorce.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Hope he's got a comfortable couch.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard of that as a gag gift only.  

That said, he would get hero of the week status if he actually did it!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I've heard that giving ladies a vacuum cleaner is a
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've heard of that as a gag gift only.  

That said, he would get hero zero of the week status if he actually did it!

fixed
I think he's gonna get it and then really get it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:39:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I had to vote no it is stupid because I have very little carpet in my house. When I had carpet, a nice vaccum would have been a good gift.
Seeing as how she doesn't want one though, the hubby is in deep shit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:21:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Hope he likes the couch. It would be one thing if she asked for it,but since she didn't shame on him.
He better have something else very nice to go with it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:45:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1 With the exception I think a vacuum should be a household purchase (not a gift for a spouse).

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:20:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

he better have a small wrapped jewelry box too

maybe put it in the clear dust bin

+1

My wife has a Dyson and loves the heck outta it...them damn things cost like $400!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Dude...Stand clear...there may be body parts flying and you don't want to get any on you.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Vacuum cleaner is a good idea.

BUT NOT AS A CHRISTMAS GIFT!!!!!

unless it's accompanied by a very small box with something very shiny inside.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I sense a very cold Christmas night in someone's house.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I would take a vaccum.   I never got things for Christmas except excuses, so, I'd be like "cool", now you can use it!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh, man.....  I almost feel sorry for that idiot.  Almost.    We will need an update when you talk to him after Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I hope you called dibs on his gear.  

Bad, bad idea for a gift.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Getting a vaccuum cleaner as a gift really sucks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

<<groan>>
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

(rim shot)

j/k with you Hokie.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Tools vs. Vacuum Cleaner.

I guess if you really hate wrenching on cars and fixing things....my guess it's that is something the guy actually ENJOYS doing. Vacuuming on the other hand is a chore.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, at least he didn't get her a broom and kneepads.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<<groan>>

thank you thank you I'm here all week try the veal.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<<groan>>

thank you thank you I'm here all week try the veal.

Veal?  Yuck!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Success!
I printed the poll results and when he saw that it was going about 20% yes to 80% no/hell no he decided to get something else. He has no idea what, but not a vaccum.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Success!
I printed the poll results and when he saw that it was going about 20% yes to 80% no/hell no he decided to get something else. He has no idea what, but not a vaccum.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

That means that ARFCOM actually SAVED 1 marriage instead of ruining it!!!

Go figure
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#29]
A shop vac is cool but a regular vac is deadly
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I could use a vacuum. I asked my MOM for that, though -- not the boyfriend.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Hope he's got a comfortable couch.

In the outhouse or the outside doghouse?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I voted vacuum cleaner.  And before you complain in my house I do the vacuuming.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I voted vacuum cleaner.  And before you complain in my house I do the vacuuming.

Do you all ways buy presents for other people that you know you'll use?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't, your question was "would you like one for Christmas?" and the answer, for me anyway, is yes.  The Dyson Pet if you please to be specific.

The Missus OTOH got jewelry and a pistol for Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't, your question was "would you like one for Christmas?" and the answer, for me anyway, is yes.  The Dyson Pet if you please to be specific.

The Missus OTOH got jewelry and a pistol for Christmas.

Bling is all ways a hit.
Can't wait till Jan 1st to find out if he bought her a fur coat instead
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I still can't figure out the reason why this is unacceptable.  If you are a reasonable person, you should want a gift you can use.  Isn't it a double standard that men LOVE to get tools they can use for gifts, but women should never get practical gifts?????

Having said that, I've never been stupid enough to do it, but can't figure out why its wrong.  I love when I get a pressure washer, or air compressor, or drill, or tool set.  It just frees my wallet up to buy other needs (or dare I say, WANTS).

Just the ramblings of a madman,

Steve L.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I still can't figure out the reason why this is unacceptable.  If you are a reasonable person, you should want a gift you can use.  Isn't it a double standard that men LOVE to get tools they can use for gifts, but women should never get practical gifts?????

Having said that, I've never been stupid enough to do it, but can't figure out why its wrong.  I love when I get a pressure washer, or air compressor, or drill, or tool set.  It just frees my wallet up to buy other needs (or dare I say, WANTS).

Just the ramblings of a madman,

Steve L.

Please refer to the dictionary under CHORE vs. HOBBY. There you find the answer....

chore   Audio pronunciation of "chore" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (chôr, chr)
n.

1. A routine or minor duty or task. See Synonyms at task.
  2. chores Daily or routine domestic tasks, especially a farmer's routine morning and evening tasks, such as feeding livestock.
  3. An unpleasant or burdensome task.

hob·by1   Audio pronunciation of "hobby" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (hb)
n. pl. hob·bies

An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Would that vacuum cleaner be a worse Christmas gift than what my sister received one year from her then-steady boyfriend?
A bathroom scale!  

Cold. Very cold.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Better than a thigh-master
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#40]
did you find out about this then, BB?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Dude...Stand clear...there may be body parts flying and you don't want to get any on you.

Good thing she's got a vacuum cleaner.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:08:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Actually, if mine makes it to next Christmas that's what I'm getting.  If it doesn't, then I'm getting it for my birthday in May.  We is poor.

Difference is, I asked for it.  And I'm a nerd.  If she isn't and she didn't then he's in trouble.  (die English language...die! )

Heck, this year I got a toothbrush and a mini air compressor.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Actually, if mine makes it to next Christmas that's what I'm getting.  If it doesn't, then I'm getting it for my birthday in May.  We is poor.

Difference is, I asked for it.  And I'm a nerd.  If she isn't and she didn't then he's in trouble.  (die English language...die! )

Heck, this year I got a toothbrush and a mini air compressor.  

hmmmm....wonders what needs to be  "blown up?"
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Update on the top of page 1.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Sort of a hijack:
I have a screwy hand held vac called a Dirt Devil Scorpian. When I don't feel like lugging the big one out, I sweep the floor and use the Scorpian to suck up the dirt (no dustpan). Well, I mistakenly threw out the filter when I emptied it last time.

So my little Scorpian has been out of commission for at least 3 months. I could not for the LIFE of me find a replacement filter locally and was resigned to spending an unGodly amount online for shipping some to me when hubby walked in yesterday from work with a sh*t-eating grin on his silly face and said, "I got you a giftie today!"

He unveiled 2 filters he'd found at a rinky dink vacuum place.

I was as giddy as a schoolgirl.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Sort of a hijack:
I have a screwy hand held vac called a Dirt Devil Scorpian. When I don't feel like lugging the big one out, I sweep the floor and use the Scorpian to suck up the dirt (no dustpan). Well, I mistakenly threw out the filter when I emptied it last time.

So my little Scorpian has been out of commission for at least 3 months. I could not for the LIFE of me find a replacement filter locally and was resigned to spending an unGodly amount online for shipping some to me when hubby walked in yesterday from work with a sh*t-eating grin on his silly face and said, "I got you a giftie today!"

Fess up..you're really talking in code, and this is all about a vibrator, isn't it?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sort of a hijack:

Fess up..you're really talking in code, and this is all about a vibrator, isn't it?

<<sigh>>

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Love ya, PM. Mean it!

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I got a microwave from my in-laws for Christmas and I love it but I asked for one. I got a washer and dryer from my husband but again I asked for it. I really hated having to go to the laundrymat.  I was very excited when I saw my washer and dryer. As someone else said  I was giddy as a school girl. I was looking for things to wash. It was actually quite funny.

I think if someone didn't ask for an appliance, then you shouldn't get them one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I got a microwave from my in-laws for Christmas and I love it but I asked for one. I got a washer and dryer from my husband but again I asked for it. I really hated having to go to the laundrymat.  I was very excited when I saw my washer and dryer. As someone else said  I was giddy as a school girl. I was looking for things to wash. It was actually quite funny.

I think if someone didn't ask for an appliance, then you shouldn't get them one.

<raises hand>
I'd be the giddy schoolgirl...and if you need things to wash, come on over: I share my home with 2 little boys, one larger boy and a dog.

I've yet to run out of things to wash!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top