Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 8:52:17 PM EDT
Patty brought this to my attention.  I'm asking about Handguns.  And I'm intrested in self defense.  I've learned so much just reading threads.  I'm searching for what is right for me.  And knowing what the women like will help narrow my decision somewhat.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#1]
My personal carry is a 1911 .45

When I'm out hunting I typically have my .44 strapped to my side [although at times I get lazy and just bring my .45]

I'm almost always with a rifle.  

Patty
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Well - when I used to live in a State where it was legal ....

1911 - I love my 1911's; there is just something right about a 1911, and the recoil on .45ACP is sort of slow and rolling so it isn't at all as hard to handle as the guys sometimes make out. Also the 1911 was designed in a time when most men had hands the size of women's hands today - they really do fit most women very well especially with options like thin grips and short triggers. The 1911 also has quite a presence, and since in 87% of cases where a fiream is drawn defensively the attack ends without shots fired - presence counts.

I also love my Walther P-99 the interchangable backstraps make it a sure fit for almost anyone, and I also like the placement of the controls (ah the ergonomics of german engineering). The design is coppied by so many different manufacturers now that I know I'm not the only one who likes it. I have now put close to 10k rounds through it and it has never failed once. I also really like the double/single trigger for carry because the longer double action trigger pull when it is decocked makes it very safe (for me) without having to worry about a manual safety. Very comfortable, very reliable and holds lots of rounds.

I like my little Walther P-3AT or P32 as a backup. I worked them both over for reliability - and you can fit them just about *anywhere* no matter what you're wearing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't leave home without my Glock 26, hence my screen name.  On duty it is my BUG, off duty it is my primary conceal carry.  My primary duty weapon is a Glock 22, and I also have a Glock 19 that I favor for classes or matches.  I also have a Sig P239 in 9mm that was my very first handgun, and I like very much.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry either a compact .45 or a mid-size .45.
When I first started carrying though I carried a Bersa 380.
Advice I give all women at the gun shop who are just starting out is to stick with a hammerless wheelgun. Easier to operate for the beginners. Move up from there.
My suggestion is to go to a gunstore, handle and ask questions galore of the employees. If it doesn't feel comfortable in your hand, it isn't the gun for you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Ahhh yes, what do I shoot and why....

Sig 239 9mm - first baby - carry weapon - would like to have a twin in .40/.357
Springfield 1911 V12 .45 - target/paper shootin
Springfield Micro Compact .45 - Hunting backup
Ruger 22/45 .22 - Plinking
Beretta 96G .40 - Primary carry -reserves
S&W 340PD .38/.357 - Backup carry - reserves

Plus lots of riffles to play with for various purposes...hunting, target, just for fun...

Best to go to a range that has rentals and try them out. Find something that feels good in your hand and feels good shooting. I also love the HK USP Compact. Too many to choose from!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a friend take me out shooting and I fell in love with his Glock. When I could purchase a gun, I got a Glock19 and I absolutely love it. Have tried other handguns but nothing comes close IMHO. Recently bought a Glock26 for CCW and am pleased with it also. Fairly new to shooting also so that's all I have so far.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Ladies I'm going to tag this thread so that I can show it to Mrs. M4arc when she gets home. She wants to get her CCP and subsequently a new handgun to carry.

Carry on
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Glock 23 because every housewife should have a nice piece of tupperware in her drawers.  

We also have a Llama 1911 .45 that I like to shoot at the range and it's fun to clean, but it is old and it weighs about as much as a brick and the safety at the back pinches my palm.  I like the weight of it for shooting at the range, but walking around with a brick in your drawers or your handbag is too much like work so I wouldn't carry it.  

I'd like to get a little mouse gun for backup, but we're poor right now.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 on the USP Compact, I've got one in 9mm.  I went the "try lots of guns at a range" route with a friend of mine and fell in love with the thing.  I'm probably going to get myself a 1911 for my car at some later point as well.

(and hi.  been lurking a while.)
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...I went the "try lots of guns at a range" route with a friend of mine and fell in love with the thing. ...

(and hi.  been lurking a while.)

Smart move to try them out first.  Good choice. (and a welcome greeting)
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#11]
My original carry gun was my Makarov.  It is an inexpensive, accurate, very concealable weapon.  Great for personal defense, but a bit of a bear for competition shooting.  I still love it, and still sometimes carry it.  Right now it is mostly my bed gun.

Usually now I have my XD subcompact (9mm) with me, with a Beretta Tomcat for back up.  Both are sweet shooters and I love them.

My duty weapon is a Sig P226.  I LOVE it!  (I am a big Sig fan) but it is a little big for me to conceal it well.  No way in hell could I conceal it in summer clothes.

SigZiggy gave a wonderful piece of advice... go to a range that has rentals.  (Make sure you have a knowledgeable, experienced person with you.)  What one person swears by might not be a viable option for you.  (I was SURE I wanted a Glock, and ended up deciding that I hate them.  I can't shoot a Glock for crap.  I'm glad I found that out before I bought one!)  Fondle all of them, and rent the ones that feel good in your hand.  Try them out, and you'll know what is the best choice for you!  Shoot them, practice with the mag release, take them apart... the more familiar you make yourself with each one, the better able you will be to make a good choice for YOU.

Once you decide on a gun, take a class.  A women's shooting clinic is a good way to begin.  Women on Target (Women of the NRA) offers a great clinic, with instruction on revolvers, pistols and rifles, in a comfortable, non-threatening atmosphere, perfect for the beginning woman shooter. Then take a class and get your CHL.  And practice, practice, practice!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My original carry gun was my Makarov.  It is an inexpensive, accurate, very concealable weapon.  Great for personal defense, but a bit of a bear for competition shooting.  I still love it, and still sometimes carry it.  Right now it is mostly my bed gun.

Usually now I have my XD subcompact (9mm) with me, with a Beretta Tomcat for back up.  Both are sweet shooters and I love them.

My duty weapon is a Sig P226.  I LOVE it!  (I am a big Sig fan) but it is a little big for me to conceal it well.  No way in hell could I conceal it in summer clothes.

SigZiggy gave a wonderful piece of advice... go to a range that has rentals.  (Make sure you have a knowledgeable, experienced person with you.)  What one person swears by might not be a viable option for you.  (I was SURE I wanted a Glock, and ended up deciding that I hate them.  I can't shoot a Glock for crap.  I'm glad I found that out before I bought one!)  Fondle all of them, and rent the ones that feel good in your hand.  Try them out, and you'll know what is the best choice for you!  Shoot them, practice with the mag release, take them apart... the more familiar you make yourself with each one, the better able you will be to make a good choice for YOU.

Once you decide on a gun, take a class.  A women's shooting clinic is a good way to begin.  Women on Target (Women of the NRA) offers a great clinic, with instruction on revolvers, pistols and rifles, in a comfortable, non-threatening atmosphere, perfect for the beginning woman shooter. Then take a class and get your CHL.  And practice, practice, practice!!!

Great info Thanks!  I'll look up the Women on Target.  A lot of guys down here have the mentalitly that women belong in a kitchen and not outdoors.  So no help there.  I definetly want to get my CHL.  I'll be traveling alot pretty soon, and I'd feel so much better carrying.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A lot of guys down here have the mentalitly that women belong in a kitchen and not outdoors.    

I actually had someone say that to me once at a range in Georgia...
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A lot of guys down here have the mentalitly that women belong in a kitchen and not outdoors.    

I'd be hard pressed to NOT point the gun at him and show him how wrong he is on that statement.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I had an older man (not gentleman) actually tell me that I was pretty smart for a girl.  This is as I write up his auto insurance policy.  Too bad I wasn't making him a sammich!  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I like shooting my Glocks, my Sigs and my Berettas.  For carry, I use my Glocks or my new Sig P239 SIG Anti-Snag™ Pistol in .40 S&W with the new DAK™ trigger system.  Hopefully, I'll never need to use it, but if I do, I only want to have to think about pulling the trigger.  I don't want to have to think about external safeties, etc.  In summer, I carry my Kel-tec in .32 on me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Notice she didn't give him a chance to say it TWICE....

Where's the dumbass buried?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't have my concealed carry permit, but plan on using my XD 9 sub compact. Had it for two years now, and love it. Not sure what pistol will be my backup carry gun (good to have in case your carry one is out of commission).

But yes - try before you buy! There were so many pistols I've tried over the years before I got my very own. Was getting frustrated trying to master hubby's CZ-75. Then we rented an XD 9 mm and found that we both liked the platform...shortly after, bought his and hers. Well, his is the full size, lol.

As for rifles, can't get enough of my AR-15 m4gery...but also love my AK-47s. Our AR-10, Remington 700 PSS and 10/22 are so much fun to shoot, too.

(PS: Hi all; first post in women's forums...thanks for all your great tips!)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I had an older man (not gentleman) actually tell me that I was pretty smart for a girl.  This is as I write up his auto insurance policy.  Too bad I wasn't making him a sammich!  

Awwwww  come on everyone knows that any idiot can write up an auto insurance policy it is all just a big scam anyways.

<------------  Personal lines insurance agent 5 years

go to the range try every gun that you can then will all is said and done you will decide on a Sig P228

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:50:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
(PS: Hi all; first post in women's forums...thanks for all your great tips!)

Hola!  Welcome!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank you! I need to get over here more often and stop hiding in the hometown forum.

Oh, forgot to mention that 1911's and Sigs are very nice, too! Hubby got his first 1911 in May (Springfield Custom Loaded), and we're getting the hang of it (shooting high thumb). Friend just got a Sig 220...look forward to checking out soon.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, I have a glock 19. Can't say i'm great at it, but, i'm learning to shoot it. It's a blast. Small enough I can get a hold of it good.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Thankyou!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thankyou!

You're welcome, and might I add that you're a lucky lady.  We all adore peta around here...he cracks us up!

NurseB=wife of Petagunner???

<confused>
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thankyou!

You're welcome, and might I add that you're a lucky lady.  We all adore peta around here...he cracks us up!

NurseB=wife of Petagunner???

<confused>

+1

Been then again I am a vicadin induced fog right now so it could have slipped by me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Not a lady, but my GF has:

Glock 19 (duty weapon .gov trained)

She prefers Sig P239 (9mm) because of the slim grip (she has small hands)

Her favorite gun is her P220ST in .45ACP because she could shoot a gnat in flight at 25 yards with it.

She originally had trouble racking the slide on my P228.  After some practice with my P239, she bought her own, and after trying my P220R she bought her P220ST.  Now she has no trouble racking any weapon.

She loves that P220ST, but for carry I think she'd choose the P239.  She always says she loves how it fits her hand.  She complained that my P228s grips were "too fat."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top