Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 5:49:59 AM EDT
UGH.  So, I've been doing the Atkins diet since September 6.  I'm doing REALLY well, (I don't have a scale, but sneaked a peak at my friend's house about 2 weeks ago) and I was down 15 pounds.  And clothes are looser on me since then, so I'd venture to guess it's about 18-20 pounds now.  I feel great, I look better (I think), I'm down about a size and a half in my clothes.  And for the most part, it hasn't been too difficult.  I love cheese, and I love chicken, so I've been making do with that and the good vegetables mixed in.  

And I know not everyone has great things to say about Atkins, so let's not have any of that bad diet talk.  

My office is a breeding ground for candy, cake, treats, bagels, danish, etc.  Especially on Thursday morning, we have our weekly meeting, and there's always food there.   I was good today, made my little omelette with cheese in the microwave, and now that I have food in my stomach, it's easier to walk past it.  I actually haven't cheated an iota since I started.

But man!  There are some days when I just crave a bagel, or something sweet.

I'll get past it, just needed to post about it.  I've even been having dreams about forbidden foods lately.  Anyone ever get that?  Last night it was popcorn.  I had some popcorn in my dream, then spit it out (in my dream) and felt awful guilty about it.

I can't believe I'm having food dreams..I'm not that obsessesed about food. I can't be!!!

ugh.  Just wanted to vent a bit.
Rant over now.

Carry on!  (the thinner and happier Daisy)

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:02:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy yourself a bag of peperoni or bring in some string cheese.  A lot of the food cravings is actually the social aspect that is imprinted in us.  Some little carrots and peanut butter make a nice sweet snake that aren't too high in carbs too.

Hang in there.  I've been doing Atkins for several years.  It works for me.  

Patty
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Buy yourself a bag of peperoni or bring in some string cheese.  A lot of the food cravings is actually the social aspect that is imprinted in us.  Some little carrots and peanut butter make a nice sweet snake that aren't too high in carbs too.

Hang in there.  I've been doing Atkins for several years.  It works for me.  

Patty

Yeah, I keep the cheese handy, and I'm now adding seeds and nuts, so I have little bags of pumpkin seeds (which give me canker sores) but it's a good snack that's low in carbs.  And they help with the um, "process" if you catch my drift.

I actually don't get too many cravings, and I'm trying to add more variety so I don't get bored.  I want to do some baking so I have some dessert type things that I can eat.

thanks!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#3]
eat the bagel while jogging around the block?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You know Daisy, Perse is right - you might try eating one of the sicko sweet things.  Since you've been on Atkins for a while your body will let you know that it no longer likes those sweet things.  I tried to eat a tollhouse cookie the other day.  It was way too sweet for me!

Patty
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#6]
my spelling/typing suxs
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Eating more often sounds just about right and sneaking in a "blow it" snack (almost typed snake) once a week shouldn't be a big deal unless you're one of those who can't eat just one chip (or one snack).
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm Irish/Italian...if we don't eat potatoes and pasta...we die...

I'm no help.

Call me the carb whore.

But YAY you Daisy for your determination and your progress!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Congrats on the weigt loss.  Keep up the good work it does work.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]

YAY YOU!  Now, that's some positive motivation right there!!!

I'm having a lot of hormonal problems right now that the doc is finding hard to diagnose, so I'm blowing up like a big balloon.
I can't wait until all this blasted testing is finished so he can tell me what I need to do. (have gained 40 pounds in the last 2 1/2 months....crazzzzyyy)

At any rate, not about me....but I've heard both great and bad things about the Adkins diet. I know that it is a carb-based program, but what more can you tell me about it please?

I am SO ready to get on a steady plan, and one that will fit my lifestyle...maybe this is the ticket!

Shan
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#11]
If you've lost 20 pounds in 30 days you may consider eating a little more! That is significant weight loss.

Dreaming of food may be your bodies way of saying "I'm starving!!"

It will take a while to not crave the wrong food. Your body needs to time to build new associations.

Have you tried any of the atkins type snack food?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:52:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Semperwife,

Alot of people have misinformation about Atkins.  It's not about "No Carbs", it's about eating the "Right Carbs" and limiting them.  The people that say it's bad for you don't really understand the way it should be done.  I mean, anyone that eats real eggs with bacon or sausage every single day and bacon with every meal will wind up with cholesterol problems, atkins diet or not.

You have to be smart.  It's really a very healthy diet.  I've never been one that could measure and count every single thing that I eat.  I just can't do it.  But this diet is alot easier for me to follow, and once you understand what is a good carb and a bad carb, it's easy.

My typical menu for a day includes the "cholesterol free egg omelette" (the eggs in the carton), for lunch  I'll have a salad with either grilled chicken or chicken salad, for dinner some kind of meat (protein) and grilled veggies.  does that sound unheatlthy?

Didn't think so.  the hard part I guess is giving up bread, pasta, rice, etc.  Eventually you can add them back in in controlled amounts, or use low carb versions.  The goal is to get your body burning fat instead of carbs, so by limiting the amount of carbs you consume, the body is forced to burn fat for fuel.  

It's worked for me so far!  

And I have tried some of the Atkins snacks.  I love the caramel nut chew.  And I just ordered a case of Atkins snacks off Ebay.  YAY!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:53:42 AM EDT
[#13]
your not fat quit telling your self you are.

And 20lbs in a month seems like a lot. You might want to be careful.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you've lost 20 pounds in 30 days you may consider eating a little more! That is significant weight loss.

Dreaming of food may be your bodies way of saying "I'm starving!!"

It will take a while to not crave the wrong food. Your body needs to time to build new associations.

Have you tried any of the atkins type snack food?

I have!  I've just added nuts and seeds back in.  I think for a couple of weeks I was eating too little, as I stopped losing for a week.  Once I added more food in, I started losing again.  I love the Atkins Advantage power bars and the candy.  My "candy standard" has gone way down.  The caramel nut chew is to die for!! (at least for me!)
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:59:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No, I don't believe I am fat.  I am heavier than I've been in a while (well, I was until this month...yay me).  I'm almost back in my "normal clothes".  I've got the Scandinavian bone structure, just something I've got to live with.  But, it's true what they say.  You can't expect other people to love you if you don't love yourself.  And I wasn't too thrilled with myself.

So I've fixed it.  And feel a heck of alot better!  

but thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:44:51 AM EDT
[#16]
You're my new hero....

I hope to be able to say the same thing soon too!  

Shan
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I don't believe I am fat.  I am heavier than I've been in a while (well, I was until this month...yay me).  I'm almost back in my "normal clothes".  I've got the Scandinavian bone structure, just something I've got to live with.  But, it's true what they say.  You can't expect other people to love you if you don't love yourself.  And I wasn't too thrilled with myself.

but thanks!

Just givin yeah a hard time. Keep it up, dieting isnt easy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

but thanks!

Just givin yeah a hard time. Keep it up, dieting isnt easy.

+1!!!!!

Shan
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Well you gotta do what makes you feel good.............. But I think you look fine as is........
Or at least you pics did in the photo thread floating around here.........
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm Irish/Italian...if we don't eat potatoes and pasta...we die...I'm no help.

Call me the carb whore.

But YAY you Daisy for your determination and your progress!

+1
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know Daisy, Perse is right - you might try eating one of the sicko sweet things.  Since you've been on Atkins for a while your body will let you know that it no longer likes those sweet things.  I tried to eat a tollhouse cookie the other day.  It was way too sweet for me!

Patty

I was kinda being serious, but it reads more like smartass, doesn't it.  Sorry.  

I'm trying to get rid of a few pounds too.  When I get a big craving, I'll "earn" it through exercise.  

Look, there's a kitten!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

I was kinda being serious, but it reads more like smartass, doesn't it.  Sorry.  

I'm trying to get rid of a few pounds too.  When I get a big craving, I'll "earn" it through exercise.  

Look, there's a kitten!

S'ok, Persephone, I knew what you meant.

Kittens are so much fun.

And I'm down 22 pounds as of yesterday.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#23]
DW,
[Doctor Joe]also alot of the time when people think they're hungry is thier tummy sayin' its thirsty, cuz alot of people don't drink as mich water daily as they should, plus the more water you drink the less your body retains, which in turn in a couple of pounds here and there[/Doctor Joe}
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top