Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 6:58:43 PM EDT
Okay my wife shoots a revolver fairly well but wants to get in to an automatic (multiple reasons) my ambition is to have two pistols that operate very similarly one for her and one for me.  Whatever she ends up with will become our primary home defense gun as well.

She is not a big shooter, but recognizes the utility and neccesity and reliability of firearms.  I can typically get her to the range 2-3 times a year.  I don't push the issue but ask her to go most anytime I go.  Right now my carry piece is a Glock 21 and I was thinking of a Glock 19 for her.  She has a small hand and has a little issue with the slide catch on them however.  But in general I think Glocks have it all over any other auto pistol in simplicity.

Another close contender is the CZ PO1, but it is a more complex handgun that requires more practice time.  I would get one to match, so she could also use my primary pistol.  Recently I also chanced to fire an XD9 which seemed almost as simple as the Glocks and might be a good choice. (I am reading about some durability issues with the XDs however.)

I really have two questions...

1) Are there any other pistols, in a similar price range that you ladies like (9mm)?

2) I know some of you ladies take firearms practice as seriously as the guys here, bu if not, what kind of introduction to autoloaders did you have, what kind of practice helps?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my Walther P-99 - never failed even once in over 7k rounds, very ergonomic and interchangable backstraps which is great for those with smaller hands.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If you shoot a Glock and like it, check out a Kahr P9 for her. Mine has been flawless, weighs about a pound empty, and is a top notch peice. I can't think of a better concealment gun.

If 9mm isn't your caliber they are also available in 40 S&W and now .45 ACP.

www.kahr.com
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Check the GUNRACK section at www.kahr.com for some reviews of the Kahr pistols, there is even one about the polymer framed Kahrs and how lady shooters like them.

I wasn't aware of a new model, the CW9. It is considerably cheaper than the P9. There is a link to the differences in the two.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top