Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 8:17:53 AM EDT
He has trouble getting onto email and keeps pestering my parents to tell me to send more letters. Given that I haven't sent any - that probably means he just wants to get mail! If anyone is bored enough to send a letter to a Blackwater contractor in Baghdad - please IM me for the addy.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#1]
If he likes to get mail, what about getting a care package together?  Things to remind him of home.  Couple of the ladies here at work have put some stuff together for their sons......just a thought.........
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Exactly!  When I was away from home (albeit only across the country), I missed the things you couldn't get in the northwest, like Taco Bell and Icees (I was only 19 after all).  So, I can see why the guys are so excited about Oreos and other things that remind them of home.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The ones I have heard of are:

Newspapers
Tootsie Pops
Cookies
Magazines

just to name a few.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Well being Blackwater he's pretty darned spoiled - so I wouldn't want to ask anyone to put themselves out sending a package if it was too inconvenient. Unlike our boys (and girls!) in the military he gets a month off every...2 months is it?  And I know my mom sends him stuff every now and then.

However - I've eaten taco bell, something tells me it could make the trip to Iraq and still taste the same!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well being Blackwater he's pretty darned spoiled - so I wouldn't want to ask anyone to put themselves out sending a package if it was too inconvenient. Unlike our boys (and girls!) in the military he gets a month off every...2 months is it?  And I know my mom sends him stuff every now and then.

However - I've eaten taco bell, something tells me it could make the trip to Iraq and still taste the same!

You are so right about Taco Bell!  All they would have to do though is ship it in it's original state, powdered in bags! and just add water at the other end.  But, realistically, does your brother really want letters from old, married ladies?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:57:09 AM EDT
[#6]
My sons unit is deploying and there is one soldier who has no family/friends/girlfriend. He has been tickled with just getting mail. I adopted him,and I have a few others writing him sending care packages. Otherwise he would have always been the soldier at mailcall watching everyone else get mail and he nothing. Nothing is more of morale boost as getting a letter, and just knowing someone actually cares about you. As a result of this my son and this soldier have become really good friends.
It broke my heart knowing he had noone.
So I am sure that Ladybugs brother wouldn't mind hearing from old married ladies. It is just hearing from someone stateside and knowing people do appreciate what you are doing that matters.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are so right about Taco Bell!  All they would have to do though is ship it in it's original state, powdered in bags! and just add water at the other end.  But, realistically, does your brother really want letters from old, married ladies?  

You are absolutely right. We have a Taco Bell here on post in Kuwait and it tastes EXACTLY like the ones back home. We also have a Subway but it's just not quite the same for some reason. I can't peg it either. I get them made the exact same way that I do home but they are just not the same.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My sons unit is deploying and there is one soldier who has no family/friends/girlfriend. He has been tickled with just getting mail. I adopted him,and I have a few others writing him sending care packages. Otherwise he would have always been the soldier at mailcall watching everyone else get mail and he nothing. Nothing is more of morale boost as getting a letter, and just knowing someone actually cares about you. As a result of this my son and this soldier have become really good friends.
It broke my heart knowing he had noone.
So I am sure that Ladybugs brother wouldn't mind hearing from old married ladies. It is just hearing from someone stateside and knowing people do appreciate what you are doing that matters.

Both of our boys (4 & 6 years old) are very patriotic and love soldiers.  Would you be interested in sending me an IM with your address?  They would love to draw pictures and send letters to soldiers in your son's unit, and you could include them in your next package.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey! I want a pen pal!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 But, realistically, does your brother really want letters from old, married ladies?  

his response to that was "the hotter the better"

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry Miss M. I know not all of us are married,I just wanted to point out, that to the soldiers it doesn't matter. They just like getting mail.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#13]
how long does it take for a package to get from the post office to a APO and then to a soldier in Iraq?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
how long does it take for a package to get from the post office to a APO and then to a soldier in Iraq?

it varies - I sent one and it got ther e in 7 days, which my brother said was the quickest. It seems to be closer to 10 - 14 days
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 But, realistically, does your brother really want letters from old, married ladies?  

his response to that was "the hotter the better"

Maybe, (since it's all healthy and platonic) the guys can write him too.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#16]
If he would like some issues of Maxim & Stuff, email or IM me with details & I will send him a care package of my old issues!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You are absolutely right. We have a Taco Bell here on post in Kuwait and it tastes EXACTLY like the ones back home. We also have a Subway but it's just not quite the same for some reason. I can't peg it either. I get them made the exact same way that I do home but they are just not the same.

Taco Bell tastes the same everywhere!  Now we know it is the same in Kuwait.  About Subway... I found that as I got into my mid-20s things just didn't taste the same.  Maybe that accounts for it...  Be careful, you might develop a taste for buttermilk and hard candy.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taco Bell tastes the same everywhere!  Now we know it is the same in Kuwait.  About Subway... I found that as I got into my mid-20s things just didn't taste the same.  Maybe that accounts for it...  Be careful, you might develop a taste for buttermilk and hard candy.

Wow talk about taking a trip in the Way Back Machine. My grandfather used to fix me some cornbread and buttermilk. Damn that was good stuff right there! I haven't thought about that in YEARS!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow talk about taking a trip in the Way Back Machine. My grandfather used to fix me some cornbread and buttermilk. Damn that was good stuff right there! I haven't thought about that in YEARS!

Sorry, don't think that I can get buttermilk to Kuwait anytime soon.    But what a nice memory to have there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top