Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 6:17:12 AM EDT
So, has the increase in gas prices forced you to drive differently?  

I find myself keeping my speed under 70, where before I would drive 85-90 without thinking twice.  I drive "better" than I used to, don't gun the engine to pull out of an intersection, keep the speed even, use cruise control whenever I can.

And I've seen a difference.  Yesterday, I filled up my tank, and I now have 400 miles to a tank of gas, whereas just 2-3 weeks ago it was in the 360 mile range.    It really does make a difference.

But I still see other people driving crazy, and they get annoyed at me when I'm doing 70 (in the middle lane...go around me, cripes).

Anyway, have you changed the way you drive to get better gas mileage?  Do you not drive as much?  Do you think twice before driving to the store down the street , and maybe walk instead?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:33:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I have always been one to not "gun it" when taking off, I try to keep my speeds even, sometimes that is hard though on the interstate.  
With prices high though, I do all my shopping at one place at one time. I rarely leave the house now. I do nag MrGH about his driving more now though. Last night he was wanting to drag with a little shit 4cylinder truck, we have a big 357 in the tahoe. I looked at him and told him, yes you are the man, you can win, so let's not even go there. When I can, I talk him into letting me drive, we get a good 5-8 MPG better on the tahoe when I drive then when he drives.
We also try to find a sitter for LilGH when we have small things to get, we take the motorcycle and really save on gas.
I filled my car up 2 weeks ago when I left my moms house, I still have a quarter tank of gas left, it takes a little over a quarter a tank to get home from there. That tells you how much I have been out. Of course I have to fill it today or tomorrow, have to make a trip to pick up the girls for the weekend. There goes a half a tank easy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, more highway driving gives you better gas mileage.  Lee explained it to me, something to do with the RPMs.  It proved true on our 4-hour trip to his mom's last weekend.  I think he normally gets 21 miles to the gallon and this weekend he got about 24-25.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, I do drive differently.  I normally fill up as soon as the light comes on and now I'm practically driving it down to the E.  I filled up this morning and was happy to see it below $3 a gallon for once.  That is so sad.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Actually, more highway driving gives you better gas mileage.  Lee explained it to me, something to do with the RPMs.  It proved true on our 4-hour trip to his mom's last weekend.  I think he normally gets 21 miles to the gallon and this weekend he got about 24-25.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, I do drive differently.  I normally fill up as soon as the light comes on and now I'm practically driving it down to the E.  I filled up this morning and was happy to see it below $3 a gallon for once.  That is so sad.

I know, I did a little dance of joy last night when I saw it at 2.99.

pathetic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#4]
in Houston you can find it for $2.76.
but no i still drive where i need to go.
i never did drive for fun.  you know, just get out and drive.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i never did drive for fun.  you know, just get out and drive.

I did when I first got my license, but I was 16 and gas was $1.35 a gallon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I go to the college and home.  If I can't fit everything I need to do in one trip, I don't go any more.  Down from 3.10 to 2.89  What a bargain!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I drive only where I have to.
Work and school.
Too damn expensive to do anything else.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm... I only fill up the Suburban Assault Vehicle™ about once every TWO months... I pay no mind to gas prices.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
no

i drive every day to numerous client locations and get reimbursed for mileage

i still MAKE money to drive  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Well since I'm ubber paranoid of getting a ticket I've always drove pretty cautiously.  Since the gas gouging has taken place [we're paying about 2.85 a gal] I've consolidated trips that's for dern sure.  The husband wanted me to take a tire to Heppner to get fixed the day before yesterday [in the Sub] but I waited today so I could deposit his paycheck and run other errands that were needed to be done.  Its 40 miles round trip to Heppner & back.  It adds up.

I'm leaving tomorrow to Reno [10 hour trip] and am hoping I can make it down and back on two tanks of gas.  Hopefully I won't have to coast somewhere.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I'd say I'm driving the same. And Yep...like Daisy, I did the happy 'it's below $3.00 dance yesterday'...'Course that was 2 days after I filled the pig at 3.03/gallon 87 octane, sitting on 1/4 tank when I pulled in the station: 56.00. That should last me a week...

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I have lowered my speed also but it really does make a difference.  And I try to combine errands; before I would run out whenever I wanted/needed something and even go driving to relax me.  Now I go out about every other day instead of every day.

I was excited to fill up last night for $2.68 a gallon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm trying not to gun it as much; I'm a pretty jerky driver, starting fast and stopping fast.  Haven't counted mileage though as I don't drive many/any frivolous miles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top