Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 4:53:36 AM EDT
Last night on my way home from a rehearsal, I saw a little grey and white tiger striped kitten in the gutter.  It looked right at me, and seemed to be foraging for food.  I'm almost positive it's a stray (we live in the city, you just don't let pet cats outside in our neighborhood).    I was going to back up and go get a better look at it, but I didn't want to scare it and have it run under my car.

BUT.  If it's there again tonight, I may have to get a better look at it, and see if I can lure it to me.

Such a cutie.  Course, I need another cat like my boyfriend needs another gun, but we both have our weaknesses.  And kittens are just the sweetest little thing.

fyi...for those that want to bash cats, go somewhere else please.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:03:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Let us know if you find it.  Poor little thing.  Fuzzy little kittens are a weakness of mine, too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:11:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Is shooting cats better than bashing them?

j/k  good luck

TXL
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

j/k  good luck

TXL

NO!  Go shoot ugly things, like possums, and evacuees.

OOPS!  Kidding!!!!  REALLY!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:02:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

j/k  good luck

TXL

Here kitty, here kitty.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

j/k  good luck

TXL

BEST laugh of the day!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife just rescued a litter of kittens 3 days ago ( again) and if anyone is around the long Island Area in the next couple weeks, let me know if you want one, they are cute as hell . She will be socializing them for the next couple weeks and then they go to the animal shelter.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I have my three boyz for 10 years.  Found them in a hole in the ground, eyes still shut, umbilical still in.  They're definitely my buds.    If I had to pull a NO forced evac without them, the wife and kid would go and I would stay.  Yup, I'm a mush when it comes to my cats.  

Anyhow, good luck with the adoption.  It'll be tough as those little buggers are near impossible to catch.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My wife just rescued a litter of kittens 3 days ago ( again) and if anyone is around the long Island Area in the next couple weeks, let me know if you want one, they are cute as hell . She will be socializing them for the next couple weeks and then they go to the animal shelter.

Sure they will.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Somebody had dumped off 4 little kittens up close to my folks place. &

That really irks me. My folks were gonna get them the next day but I guess (hope) they had already found a home cuz they were gone
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That really irks me. My folks were gonna get them the next day but I guess (hope) they had already found a home cuz they were gone

Ya know..is it just me???  Every time I see a large bag or sac on the side of the highway, my mind automatically thinks "KITTENS!  SAVE THEM!!! "

I guess it's probably just me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Hate to say it , but , Im the resident mean guy around here. Im the one who has to say, NO MORE PETS. I have already taken one batch to the shelter and this one will be the same. We try really hard to find homes for them, then if we cannot find homes for them, they go to the shelter. costs me like $150 donation to drop them there to cover the spaying and shots and stuff so they can be adopted. Im hoping that I can find someone who wants one or more of them. These guys are really small right now and no problem to catch. once they get older ! ITs near impossible to get them by yourself. the last crew got used to just living in my room and my kids rooms, there was a gate in the hall to keep them from roaming, I could pick them up and carry them around but once I crossed that gate , HOLY CRAP, they would climb all over me and jump away and run back to the hall and over the gate and from there you name it, under the bed, the closet , etc !!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#13]
if we didnt have such a small place and have to pay pet rent, i would have another kitten

LOVE MY KITTIES!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:17:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I got my 2 strays because someone dumped them off. Wouldn't trade them for anything. They are the best animals we have gotten. Our big tiger is like a dog in a cats body. To him everything is an adventure. My other one she is more my cat,very petite and very prissy. She likes her attention and the both love their creature comforts.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:31:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I miss my cat. I lost it in the divorce.
And he always said he hated cats!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:43:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Mrs GH, I know where you can get another!!!!

I don't know what I'd do without my cats.  They're my best friends.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:56:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mrs GH, I know where you can get another!!!!

I don't know what I'd do without my cats.  They're my best friends.

thanks, but right now a cat in this house would be used as a tug toy. MrGH IS a cat hater, he has taught his dogs well to hate them as well. SO no kitties for me until the dogs are gone. Sadly, we are looking at our oldest to go within a year or two at the most. He's loosing his hearing, his sight and has a terrible time walking. He's 11 and bassets range from 10-12 years. I do love the dogs, but they just aren't the same as a cat.
Here is LilGH with Winston.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:06:46 AM EDT
[#19]
oh my gosh MrsGH How on earth do you correct that little boy?  He's so darn cute, there's no way you can get mad at that face!  Patty
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:12:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
oh my gosh MrsGH How on earth do you correct that little boy?  He's so darn cute, there's no way you can get mad at that face!  Patty

I know, that is why he is spoiled rotten! I just spent 2 hours in his room last night boxing up toys, not to put away, just to get off the floor and store neatly.
He looks just like his daddy too. If I had a nickle for everytime I heard he is a "mini-me" of his father, I would be a rich woman!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:20:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, that is why he is spoiled rotten! I just spent 2 hours in his room last night boxing up toys, not to put away, just to get off the floor and store neatly.
He looks just like his daddy too. If I had a nickle for everytime I heard he is a "mini-me" of his father, I would be a rich woman!

Cute little boy.  But I still think you need a kitty.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know exactly what you're going through.  If I hadn't given birth to Wyatt I'd have never known he was mine.  We were driving down the road once listening to the radio and they talked about human cloning and my husband exclaimed "I think I'll have myself cloned."  and I piped in "Like you haven't all ready with Wyatt?" he laughed and said "Oh yea"

Patty sorry for the hijack Daisy!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, no kitty last night, and my boyfriend prowled the neighborhood too looking for her.  Nothing.  We'll keep our eyes open, though.

But now I've got kitten fever.  My boyfriend says "you've got 3, what's one more?"  Sure make it easy for me.  

I don't know...the 3 we have are pretty content and 2 of them are best friends, the oldest is the Alpha, and she's not too thrilled with her sisters, but puts up with them.  When I got my third kitten (the Maine Coon), I thought the oldest would up and move out, that's how upset she was.  I'm not sure she'll put up with yet another one.

But I keep looking at petfinder.org...and I want them ALL!!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:11:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

fyi...for those that want to bash cats, go somewhere else please.

Damn you got me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I know how you feel, when I went to the shelter to pick out a kitten, I wanted to take them all home.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Got any pictures of them?  My daughters have been begging for a kitten of their own.  We already have cats but they want their own.  I will be in LI within a week or so.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#27]
We've got 20 cats. Some just turned up from nowhere, must be the cat telegraph.
As you can imagine, breakfast time is a riot in my house.

And I know I'm last in the pecking order.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I love cats.

My boyfriend gets so frustrated because of my unnatural ability to find a kitty on the darkest night, down the darkest road or even in the woods. I can spot them from a mile away.

Its mostly funny because he cant see them and it bugs the crap out of him.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya know..is it just me???  Every time I see a large bag or sac on the side of the highway, my mind automatically thinks "KITTENS!  SAVE THEM!!! "

It's not just you    I'm just sad to hear you're not single

I'm glad the kittenz got you out there to be saving em.    You my dear, are plenty alright, in my book.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm glad the kittenz got you out there to be saving em.    You my dear, are plenty alright, in my book.

<kicking dirt>  Awww....sometimes men just say the sweetest things.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<kicking dirt>  Awww....sometimes men just say the sweetest things.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Hate to say it , but , Im the resident mean guy around here. Im the one who has to say, NO MORE PETS. I have already taken one batch to the shelter and this one will be the same. We try really hard to find homes for them, then if we cannot find homes for them, they go to the shelter. costs me like $150 donation to drop them there to cover the spaying and shots and stuff so they can be adopted. Im hoping that I can find someone who wants one or more of them. These guys are really small right now and no problem to catch. once they get older ! ITs near impossible to get them by yourself. the last crew got used to just living in my room and my kids rooms, there was a gate in the hall to keep them from roaming, I could pick them up and carry them around but once I crossed that gate , HOLY CRAP, they would climb all over me and jump away and run back to the hall and over the gate and from there you name it, under the bed, the closet , etc !!!

The "Official" name for that is: "Shitty Kitty Hour"

Quoted:
Well, no kitty last night, and my boyfriend prowled the neighborhood too looking for her.  Nothing.  We'll keep our eyes open, though.

But now I've got kitten fever.  My boyfriend says "you've got 3, what's one more?"  Sure make it easy for me.  

He sounds like a "keeper"!

I don't know...the 3 we have are pretty content and 2 of them are best friends, the oldest is the Alpha, and she's not too thrilled with her sisters, but puts up with them.  When I got my third kitten (the Maine Coon), I thought the oldest would up and move out, that's how upset she was.  I'm not sure she'll put up with yet another one.

Right there with ya. Spot, my first cat, I brought him inside when he was pretty young (we had to feed that litter by hand, only he and his brother Fred made it past "kitten"

Anyway, Spot was 1st, mainly, I think because he was the "runt" (and I'm a sucker for the runts) though Fred was running a CLOSE second! Anyway, long story short, Fred, we THINK tangled w/a black snake from the leech bed result: the tip of his tail was bitten off, OR hard enough that it got infected, absessed and "popped off" - not 100% certain which) so I then HAD to bring him in too. (Maybe a month and 1/2 after Spot). Spot got a SERIOUS 'TUDE! He would walk TOWARD me, then turn around and sit w/his BACK to me! (Little shit, I miss them both. (long since passed))
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#33]
I haven't been masturbating enough!

J/k daisy
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I haven't been masturbating enough!

img69.exs.cx/img69/7995/god-kills-kitten2.jpg

J/k daisy

I stopped to save the kittens... I was the cause of a mass kitty genocide. Not that I like cats, mind you... but everything should have a chance to live and die on it's own.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#35]
When I was a child I had nightmares about kittens.  It was the same dream over and over.  It started out really sweet, I saw a little white kitten, it was meewing, I put it in the backseat of the car with me, it was sooo cute.  Then there were two, then three, then like 20, I tried to keep them in a box but they were jumping all over the car, out the windows, totally out of control!!! (not unlike my life)

In 93' I was driving down hwy 40 in Blue springs Mo late one night, before there was a lot of anything along this particular area, and a mother cat and several kittens ran across the road in front of me, except one, a little white kitten stopped, looked right at the headlights and it's little mouth did the "MEEow" thing, " KER THUNK".  I turned around, looked every where and could not find it.  I still think about that.  

Driving down the road in January 96', barely saw a little white kitten against the snow, little pink "MeeOw", the whole "help me" thing.  stopped, took it home, it had obviously been attacked by a dog, nursed it to health, had it for a year...just to have it get hit by a car.

Anyway, if the dream things comes to pass, I have like 18 more white kittens to find.  

It would be so much easier to ignore them if they looked like Possums, well.. even a baby possem is kinda cute, in a painful sort of way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
When I was a child I had nightmares about kittens.  It was the same dream over and over.  It started out really sweet, I saw a little white kitten, it was meewing, I put it in the backseat of the car with me, it was sooo cute.  Then there were two, then three, then like 20, I tried to keep them in a box but they were jumping all over the car, out the windows, totally out of control!!! (not unlike my life)

In 93' I was driving down hwy 40 in Blue springs Mo late one night, before there was a lot of anything along this particular area, and a mother cat and several kittens ran across the road in front of me, except one, a little white kitten stopped, looked right at the headlights and it's little mouth did the "MEEow" thing, " KER THUNK".  I turned around, looked every where and could not find it.  I still think about that.  

Driving down the road in January 96', barely saw a little white kitten against the snow, little pink "MeeOw", the whole "help me" thing.  stopped, took it home, it had obviously been attacked by a dog, nursed it to health, had it for a year...just to have it get hit by a car.

Anyway, if the dream things comes to pass, I have like 18 more white kittens to find.  

It would be so much easier to ignore them if they looked like Possums, well.. even a baby possem is kinda cute, in a painful sort of way.

Sure, Syntax...make me cry this early in the AM.

DAMN YOU!!!

I had a cat get hit by a car once.  It didn't come home for a few days, and I just knew...something was wrong.  It was the first pet I got after divorcing a man who wouldn't let me have a cat, so she was special (they're all special, but you know what I mean).  I called the animal control, and described her, and they said they had a cat that they picked up that matched her description, she was dead.  I was devastated.

I'll never let my cats outside again.  Whether it be cars, or coyotes, it's just not worth losing them.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry.  If It will make you feel better, here is #3 which I had forgotten, ( don't cry about my feeble mind too!)  My son found this one on the Highway, it was about three weeks old.  He brought it home, and I had to keep it.  After I moved out of my house, my Ogre gave it away to some teenage girl, who still has her.  which for the cat, considering my luck, may have been a good thing.  It was a pretty cool cat, she never left the bedroom, only to run out, sneak a look around and run back.  Her name was Sweetie.  Sorry image is so big, I am in a lazy hurry! So that only leaves 17 more
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, Syntax...make me cry this early in the AM.

DAMN YOU!!!

I had a cat get hit by a car once.  It didn't come home for a few days, and I just knew...something was wrong.  It was the first pet I got after divorcing a man who wouldn't let me have a cat, so she was special (they're all special, but you know what I mean).  I called the animal control, and described her, and they said they had a cat that they picked up that matched her description, she was dead.  I was devastated.

I'll never let my cats outside again.  Whether it be cars, or coyotes, it's just not worth losing them.

My eldest cat (currently, not "ever")  Milo, I'm PRETTY certain was hit by a car when he was maybe 9 months old (ish) he was a stray that followed some friends of a frind of mine home from the (Franklin Co. fair. They yelled over to us asking if anyone wanted a kitten. We had a TON of cats outside, so I figured, "what's one more?" (he was a LITTLE shit) so I took him home w/me, and introed him to the other kittens just a TAD younger than him. He was OKAY outside, but he was CONSTANTLY trying to get INSIDE. Then one day - no "Milo" .. I was working double shifts and 2 other p/t jobs (not kidding).  So missing one meal - it happened w/the outside cats and 99.99% of the time, there they'd be NEXT "meal" bright eyed and busytailed. But he missed a whole day. [worried] after I got home after he didn't come to the second meal, I walked all over our 6 acres, calling his name, and making the "mamma cat" call. Nothin'. The second day - nuthin. [really really worried] when I came home the third day, I went out every 1/2 hour and called him for 10-15 minutes. I was off from all 3 jobs for a day or two, so I was determined to find him. I think it was like the third time when I went out to call him, there he was sitting on the back step, He was "hunched over" sitting pretty "normal" but w/his head hanging low. I had no idea if he was HURT, or SICK, or WTF, I just knew he wasn't "right".

So I talked it over w/my roommate, and decided I'd isolate him from the other inside cats (her 2, my 2), and take him into my bedroom, and if he made it to morning (it was late - like 8p.m.) then I'd take him to our vet. My other 2 cats were NOT "happy" as they typically slept w/me.

He rested okay that night, and in the AM, took him to the vet. He had a broken femur and hip. They scheduled surgery. I think gave me some meds... they "figured" he'd been hit by a car, I used to joke he threw himself off the roof to break his hip so he could become an "inside cat" (We had a habit of taking in the "injured" and the "runts" - and he was no runt).

Anyway, I don't let mine outside either, (at least "unsupervised") even living out in the country is no "guarantee", our driveway was like 1/4 mile total, about 2/3's of that distance from the road, as well as 6 total acres to "roam" - and VERY light traffic... still had feline deaths/injuries from being hit.

Mine do NOT do "unsupervised" outside. I'll ask my youngest if he wants to go "see the grandparents", most of the time, he'll "meooow!" back at me (yes - at least in THIS instance) so I open the door, and he starts trotting over to my grandparent's home. (no leash req'd) though, on occasion, he'll get "distracted" and I have to "nudge" him to get him "moving" again. he hops up on their deck (he USED to use the steps, but then they put that fake grass carpet crud on them, and it must feel weird, because he won't go UP that way anymore, but he WILL go down them, when we head home (usually).

Cats.

BTW, I got tired of the cat bashers, so I threw this together last night:

Please feel free to use w/impunity. (I'm gonna see if I can do up something a tad better when I get some time)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Cats.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Kacer/KillerCatTiernan2.jpg

Please feel free to use w/impunity. (I'm gonna see if I can do up something a tad better when I get some time)

OMG!  Kacer!  I love it!  YOU TOTALLY ROCK!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Cats.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Kacer/KillerCatTiernan2.jpg

OMG!  Kacer!  I love it!  YOU TOTALLY ROCK!

Well, it's not GREAT, but it's not TERRIBLE.... it'll do for a while, anyway

Here's my "inspiration" (when he was little and cute instead of HUGE and handsome):

I wanna at LEAST fix the vented muzzle on the AR50 (not dark enough or not BIG enough, not certain which) and put the white markings on is face....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#41]
cats are SOOOO cute!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
cats are SOOOO cute!

By in large? Yes. Yes they are... I want another... but I'll wait a while yet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#43]
The 5 kittend I have been caring for here On Long Island are now of an age and size and temperment that they are ready for adoption. One is promised and that leaves 4 that I have to find homes for, if anyone can help, please let me know.
Thanks.
Paul
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top