Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 2:45:30 PM EDT
So I have this shirt that I bought awhile back that I was going to wear. Its a little bigger than I remembered. So I was going to try and wash it first and see if it shrinks a bit. Anyone know how to intentionally shrink a shirt? Its 100% cotton button down shirt. I've already asked my own lady and even called my mother and they just thought I was weird for INTENTIONALLY trying to shrink something. Anyway, please don't take my question as some kind of insult, I certainly don't mean it like that. I just know it would be useless to ask in the GD. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Hot water wash, and high temp dry.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

for the dryer part should I also let it go for longer than normal (in addition to high temp)?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

for the dryer part should I also let it go for longer than normal (in addition to high temp)?

I'd have to see the shirt first. Some shirts can lose their shape if overdried, or shrink unevenly.

Run it through once, and see the result...you can always repeat and extend dryer time.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
You shrink a shirt intentionally the same way you accidently shrink a shirt.  You really should have asked in GD.

Seriously, a 100% cotton shirt is going to shrink some in the first few washes so be careful how much you intentionally shrink it.  I would suggest warm water washes and a high dryer setting for the first few washes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've had good results with this.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#8]
You want to shrink a shirt?

Man, must be nice!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#9]
well thanks to all. It actually worked. Fits perfect now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#10]
McDonalds for breakfast,   Burger King for lunch,  KFC for dinner.  every day for a month will shrink it nicely.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just let a man wash it.   It'll be fit for a toddler by the end of the afternoon.

CJ

Oh sure, except for the part when you put it in the same load as your brand new red boxers
Been there, done that.  Pre-shrunk is one of those great things, ranking up there with evil features on your rifle, electricity, beer...beer, over sized tires and tattoos
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top