Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2005 9:53:00 AM EDT
sorry frtloop85  but I was thinking after you posted  your [real] scare of some of the funny things that had happened to me while babysitting and thought I would share a few with you.  Others feel free to pipe in:

The funniest hands down happened when I was watching a boy for a gal here in town.  I didn't really know the gal and had never met her boy before but she called me in a quandary that she couldn't find a sitter for her little boy.  I told her to drop him by, I'd watch him.

Well this little guy was/is a handful!  He's cuter than a bugs ear, HUGE little guy for his age [about 3 at the time] he was 1/2 white - 1/2 black [which was a surprise as Mommy very fair] with a big big afro and a beanie cap that he called a "stocking cap" that sounded like "stinking cap" [my daughter and I still call our winter caps Stinking caps from watching Gregory that one day.  

Anyway I was on my toes all day keeping up with him [with my daughter's help] and had to take a phone call with the wife of my vet who happens to be a very conservative Christian too.  Gregory announced at the top of his lungs that he had to go potty and I shooed him to the bathroom while taking my call thankful for a few seconds of peace.

Well the call went on for quite a while until I hear this yell at the top of Gregory's lungs "BABY SITTER COME WIPE MY ASS!" Whitney and I started giggling uncontrollably and the poor vet's wife was left speechless!

I was so thankful that Gregory's Mommy picked him up that night on TIME!

Patty
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow SP1Grrl!  That's horrible.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I hear this yell at the top of Gregory's lungs "BABY SITTER COME WIPE MY ASS!"

If he's old nuff to sit on the pot, he's old enough to wipe his own!

Yikes.

My baby sitting nightmare:  she liked the teletubbies.  <shudder>  Had to watch that everyday.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
That is bad. I'm afraid I wouldn't have last long at that job!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Had some good friends whom I had done some work on thier farm for them come up short with a sitter for a few hours for thier two girls ages 6 and 3.  I had gotten along with them so well before they thought it would be no biggie watchin them for the gap between when dad went to work and mommy got off of work.  

So, I pick them both up at Mommy's work when thier dad dropped them off, told em lets go to McDonalds and get some grub.  Both were more than happy to.  The 3 yr old was a little fussy, but no biggie.

We get there, we order, then it went to hell.  3 year old starts yelling SCREAMING LIKE A POSESSED SHE DEVIL FROM THE DEPTHS OF A DEEP DARK FORIGN COUNTRY
"I WANT MY MOMMY,I WANT MY DADDY,YOU AREN'T MY DADDY" The whole place is looking at us, I'm ok with it, thinking once she see's her happy meal it will all be fine.  We get food, screaming escalates. We are in the very back corner of the restaraunt but people keep coming up and asking if everything is ok.  Finally the MANAGER of the place comes up and asks me if it is all right. I tell him we are on our way out and that the girls mom just works down the street at "_____ video store" and we are on our way.  The manager scurries off, we take our time gathering up our food, I look up and who do I see?  The PO PO.  Oh boy.
Seems the manager tried to call the video store and ask for the mother of the two cute little SCREAMING girls and she did not pick up the phone so he thought KIDNAPPING.  The cop called the store, asked for her by name and it was all ok.  
I just about shit myself with that one.  Last time that I watched those two angels.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Picture the babysitter from Calvin & Hobbes...

At about 15, I babysat for a couple from our church.  They had 4 children: 5 mos, 2 yrs, 4 yrs, and 5 yrs.  Well, it started with me looking for something for the 5 month old and discovering a ridiculously large cash of empty liquor bottles, then the 5 yr old wants to climb the tree that Daddy had given explicit instructions NOT to allow.  He dares me to spank him for climbing the tree.  I send him to his room, no spanking.  

After I let him out of his room, (see I'm obsessed with the well-being of the 5 month old, the 2 yr old doesn't talk and refuses to wear clothes)...

Next I hear from the 5 yr old is that "Nicholas (4yr old)is in the dryer!"  So, I go check on Nicholas.  After coaxing him out of there, the 5 yr old comes in and says the 2 yr old is running down the street (naked by the way), so, I chase her down.  

By the time I get back with the 2 yr old, I've been locked out of the house in dread fear for the life of the 5 month old on the livingroom floor and alone with her big brothers.  All this, from dryer to running down the street to locking the door had been orchestrated by one clever 5 yr old who finally let me in.  While I liked the poor little guy, I didn't babysit for them ever again.  I understood why their mother looked like a blown out tire.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I was 12.

All three of the boys were 4.

They had a penchant for watching "Mrs. Doubtfire."

They pulled out brooms, an ironing board, and slid across slick floors watching the "Dude Looks Like a Lady" scene. They thought that song was a cue to begin their dance / babysitter torture number.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I took my wife (girlfriend at the time) and her little brother and sister to the lake (Lake Mead) to go feed the carp. Her little brother and sister were like feral kids. No respect for anyone or anything, but I figured that maybe they might benefit from doing some fun stuff once in a while.

We are out on the dock and Chris is running all over the place. I yelled at him several times to not run while we were out on the docks. It was mid January, and we were probably 200 feet from shore.
Christina, is asking about why some of the carp are all beat up looking, and my wife and I are telling her that it is probably because of all the oil in the water.

I realize that I can no longer hear Chris making noise like a herd of cattle on the dock and look at where he was at, and he isn't there any more. Cue Panic. I take off running down the dock, stripping out of my coat, kicking off my shoes, getting ready to jump into the (freezing) water while franticly looking for the kid.

I was almost certain that he had drowned, and I would have to jump in and drag him back to shore. The dock sits too high off the water to be able to climb up from the water (big blocks of styrofoam with wood planking on top maybe 3 feet from the surface) and I am hoping that I won't end up needing to be rescued as well.

I finally find him, and he is just barely where I can grab him without jumping in. I tried to get him to grab my hand, but he was panicked and freezing, so I pretty much jerked him out of the water by his hair. We made him strip out of his wet stuff, and I put my t-shirt and coat on him to get him started warming back up. He never failed to listen to me around the docks again after that day. I was quite possibly the only actual fair disciplined influence that kid ever had growing up

Unfortunately, he is gonna end up as a drain on society. Or dead.

GT
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow Gravity_Tester, you're a hero!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wow Gravity_Tester, you're a hero!  Patty

No, in reality what was going through my mind was how much trouble my GF would be in from her step-dad. He is one of the few people that I will go to his funeral just to piss on the grave.

I was really really happy that I didn't have to get in the water. I hate cold water.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was about 14, and my sister 13, we were babysitting little cousins at a family reunion.  We had done the big picnic thing, and the grown-ups had all gone to dinner.  Linny and I were upstairs in hotel rooms with the kids.  She had the oldest two (3 yr old boy and 4 yr old girl) in one room, while I had the baby in another room.  The little boy, cute as a button, was really a major pain in the ass until he was about 14.

Anyway, I had just gotten the babyto sleep when suddenly my sister burst into the room, her face stark white... "Tommy fell out the window!"  He had been sitting on the window sill (second floor) and the screen gave way, and he went tumbling to the parking lot below.

Believe it o not, he didn't have a scratch, but they took him to ER to get checked out just the same.  (BTW, earlier that same day, the little darling had shut his hand in a car door, and after they came back fro ER in the evening, my father caught him just as he was pulling a penny out of his mouth to put in an electric socket.)
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#12]
My goodness....suprisingly, I've delt with the majority of what yall have been through.  Other then the choking, near drowning and falling out the window.

As I was reading all of this, I was trying to think of things that I'll never forget with the kids I've taken care of.  First off, the little boy I was babysitting recently (just finished the job tonight) would run up to me and give me a hug and kiss when his dad got home and would start pushing me towards the door and keep saying "bye-bye" while pushing me.  I thought it was so cute.  

When I was 17, I was babysitting this little 3 year old angel.  She was the cutest girl....but once her parents left, she turning into the devil himself.  There was one night in particular when she finished eating dinner, I gave her a popsicle for dessert.  She licked it a few times and then started screaming bloody murder.  She threw her popsicle across the kitchen.  I told her that that was bad and that she shouldn't throw things and she got even louder.  So, I told her that I was going to put her to bed if she didn't start crying.  Sure enough, she didn't stop.  So I picked her up and started to carry her upstairs.  When I didn't think things could get any worse, she got even LOUDER and hit my arm.  I told her that hitting was bad and that her dad was going to hear about all this when he got home.  When she heard that, she went silent, threw back her hand, threw it forward and smacked me across the face.  That was it.  I was so angry...it was so hard for me to keep from yelling at her.  So, I put her in bed and told her that she could stay there all night and she wasn't going to be able to come out and play until she stopped crying and stopped hitting.

Luckily that was the last night I babysat her because I moved the next week.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Since my kids are still young, (read early twenties and no kids of there own yet), the only thing that I have to baby sit is my daughters hound the size of a small pony (black lab, 110LBs). Since it has been treated like it is her own child (read thinks he's people), it can be more than a hand full.

First day I got take care of the beast (read she dropped it off while I was still sleeping), I am awaken by Duke (the dog) standing over me in bed with his nose to my nose, and will not move away no mater what I try.  After I finely get up (have to since the beast is standing on my chest and it’s getting hard to breath), he makes a dash for the back door.  Ok, I have learned that his hovering over you is the sign for he has to go pee and needs to be let outside.

Now since I am the back door, and the frig is just behind me, I go to get something to drink.  Wrong move, since fido can hear the frig door being opened from a mile away, he is now nosing at the back screen door, and I am forced to let him back in (read he’s a inside dog, and leaving him out back just puts him over the top).  

So now I let him back in, and now have a full circus act going on back at the frig.  Here he is at the frig, offering me both from paws to shake (one at a time, over and over), and doing just about doing every other trick he knows to earn a treat. So after treating the little shit to some thing to get him to stop, I go to turn on the TV to catch the morning news in peace.  Wrong move since as soon as I sit down on the sofa, it’s lap time like he is a toy poodle or something. Can’t really take much of that (forcing him down and him looking at me like I’m the crazy one), so I try to go back to bed.

Again, another wrong move on my part since Monster also sleeps with her, and as soon as I lay down, I feel the thud and look over to see him laying there on the other side with his head on the other pillow and legging me to get more room on the bed.  After about three times of getting him off the bed, and he getting back up, I’m now fully awake.

Ok, game plan is to find some place where I can get away from him for a few minutes (he has been shadowing me every move just way too long), and figure if I take a shower, that will do the trick. If the gods would only allow such luck, but it was not to be.  

As soon as I step into the shower (read close the shower door), he starts to bark. So I open the shower door to stop him from barking, only to have him walk into the shower and sit there under the water like it’s all part of the norm. Trust me, if you thought taking a shower with your spouse hogging the water was bad; try in with a 110 lb lab that loves any form of water. So after ten minutes of trying to take a shower (read moving the nozzle, and getting repositioned by killer since he goes where every the nozzle sprays, but slightly delay in his moment from end to end of the shower to follow the water), I have about enough of it, and get out to dry myself off. I get about half way dry, when he chops on and pulls the towel away from me (he is still standing in the shower).  I grab another towel, and finish drying off, while he is still holding the towel in his mouth while standing there in the shower (turn out that she makes him stay in the shower until she has towel him off, and I was just doing it all wrong again).

To make a long story short, if she has spoiled the dog this bad, I can only image what is to be of when she actual does have children that I have to baby sit.  All I can say is if she does decide to drop off any of her “to-be” children, she brings their nanny with them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#14]
i will have to think about it

tagged for later
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was 15 I babysat for a co-worker of my mother.  She and her husband had two children, one age 13 and the other age 3.

Well, to make a very long story short.. I found the 13 year old in the garage with his friend making a bong and after telling the parents about this and the 3 year old stripping down naked and dancing on the coffee table, she smacked her husband's arm really hard and yelled "So that's where you've been taking her!!"

I never babysat for them again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top