Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 11:30:26 PM EDT
We have a winner! Congrats to DayDreamer!

Alright, here's the deal. I'm going to post a picture and a brief tidbit of info for 5 different types of gems. First person who can tell me what all 5 types are gets a bronze membership for themselves or the member of their choosing....and this 75 carat checkeboard Amethyst.

Finally, I KNOW that MRS.Gloftoe knows gems nearly as well as I do. So, if SHE wins, she has to answer my bonus question to win the prize. Don't worry MrsGloftoe....I'll make it really "easy" I promise!

Alright, here we go.

First up:

This bluish purple gem is a member of the Zoisite family. This gem comes from the ground either yellow, brown or clear and is heat treated to attain it's Sapphire like color. It was popularized by Tiffany's!

Next up:

This gem occurs in all colors and very much mimics the color pattern and hardness of Sapphire. So much so that early examples of this gem species can be found in the crown jewels, originally thought to be Sapphires and Rubies!

Next:

This rare gem comes from the Earth in a deep green hue but is heated to attain a neon teal color. It is rarely seen in sizes above a couple of carats and is generally riddled with inclusions. It has a MOHS hardness of 5 and is/was mined in Madagascar.

Next:

The two gems above are members of the same family. This is a common gem family that is also a birthstone. It has a hardness of approx. 7 and occurs in all colors except for blue. It has even been known to occur in a color change which can be as distinct as green to purple.

Lastly:

This Opal like stone hails from Canada. It is actually an Opalized Fossil of a giant worm like creature. The color pattern shown here is known as a "dragon skin" pattern because of its scale like appearance.

Ok ladies, lets see if you know as much about rocks as you do about guns!

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:15:38 AM EDT
[#1]
What a neat idea!  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
My guesses:

1Tanzanite
2spinel
3gem apatite

4 garnet
5 Ammolite
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
That #3 was a doozy.  I guessed because I didn't really think that apatite was rare, but hey, the boy wants his breakfast!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:48:53 AM EDT
[#5]
5 ammolite
4 citrine
3 apatite
2 spinel
1Tanzanite

#3 was throwing me also.

and yes I researched them backwards.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:54:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dang, daydreamer...you're good...

Here are my guesses...

1. Tanzanite
2. Spinel (Tourmaline if you're talking about the RUSSIAN crown jewels)
3. Tourmaline
4. Garnets, both
5. Ammolite

Am I close?

Love research games, but had to give up my bathtime this morning to do this, so I stink, but it was worth it to play.  I looked long at Tourmaline though... couldn't get settled what the answer was before my son put in a pitiful request for breakfast.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:59:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here are my guesses...

1. Tanzanite
3. Tourmaline
4. Garnets, both
5. Ammolite

Am I close?

Love research games, but had to give up my bathtime this morning to do this, so I stink, but it was worth it to play.  I looked long at Tourmaline though... couldn't get settled what the answer was before my son put in a pitiful request for breakfast.

I went back and forth with tourmaline and apatite also. grrrr.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:04:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:04:42 AM EDT
[#10]
ok, here's my guesses, and Amethyst is my birthstone.  Do I get extra points for that?

1.  Tanzanite
2.  Tourmaline
3.  spinel
4.  citrine
5.  ammolite

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:06:13 AM EDT
[#11]
too damn early in the morning too look all that up  

amethyst is my birthstone, though--does that count for anything???    
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here are my guesses...

1. Tanzanite
3. Tourmaline
4. Garnets, both
5. Ammolite

Am I close?

I went back and forth with tourmaline and apatite also. grrrr.

Me, too.  The hardness of Tourmaline is 7-7.5, that's why I changed back to Apatite, with a hardness of 5.

Grrr...

ands the hardness is why I went apatite.
And Amethyst is my birthstone too, so I should have an edge also.
If it gives us an edge, we'll have to go by who was born first in the month
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:30:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

well, mine is the second, but i didnt do any guessing, so id guess its between you and daisydear

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well, mine is the second, but i didnt do any guessing, so id guess its between you and daisydear

heck ya already beat me, mine is the 10th. good thing you didn't guess. ohhh daisy dear????
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:37:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

heck ya already beat me, mine is the 10th. good thing you didn't guess. ohhh daisy dear????

umm...DaisyDear is the 21st <kicking dirt> CRAP!

but I think I'm older, so does THAT COUNT FOR ANYTHING???
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:45:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you all Aquarians?  That is bizarre.  Who'd a thunk it?  

Now, if you guys continue to wheedle for points, well I'll laugh.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

umm...DaisyDear is the 21st <kicking dirt> CRAP!

but I think I'm older, so does THAT COUNT FOR ANYTHING???

I think we are close in age, if you would like to tell first, I will follow.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:55:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Im not going to guess.  My keyboards on the fritz so Im using the on screen on.   My daughters is the 15 & Wyatt's is the 11th.  

What ever 3 & 4 are, I want em!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:58:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Nope. I'm a Pisces.  Which means I'm creative, imaginitive, and artistic.  I'm compassionate, sensitive and a loving soul.  I'm also highly sensitive to drugs of any kind, and I'm not the most stable and can be highly impressionable.  I'm the dreamer of the zodiac.

BUWAHAHAHAHAH.  

And I'm 38, and damn proud of it.  Mrs. G?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:27:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. I'm a Pisces.  Which means I'm creative, imaginitive, and artistic.  I'm compassionate, sensitive and a loving soul.  I'm also highly sensitive to drugs of any kind, and I'm not the most stable and can be highly impressionable.  I'm the dreamer of the zodiac.

BUWAHAHAHAHAH.  

Exactly!  Not that I put a lot of stock in this stuff or my ability to tell over the Internet,but I would have be surprised to see so many Aquarians on site.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUWAHAHAHAHAH.  

39 and proud also. See I knew it was close, the lilgh throws everyone off when they try to figure my age.  Not many 39 y/o's with a 2 year hanging under foot.
and yes I am aquarius. same as diabolical would be.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUWAHAHAHAHAH.  

39 and proud also. See I knew it was close, the lilgh throws everyone off when they try to figure my age.  Not many 39 y/o's with a 2 year hanging under foot.
and yes I am aquarius. same as diabolical would be.

Just the opposite. I have a 13 year old, who's almost as tall as me, and people look at us sometimes, and can't figure it out.
Married at 23, had a baby at 25.  But now when I attend his games or concerts or school functions, I'm the youngest one there.

Gosh it's good to be a MILF!  

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My guesses:

1Tanzanite
2spinel
3gem apatite

4 garnet
5 Ammolite

Ding Ding Ding.....we have a winner! I honestly didn't think anyone would get them all, so good on you.

IM me with your choice on who membership goes to, or if you'd simply like a renewal of your own and an address to mail your 75 carat Amethyst to!

Alright ladies, next time be prepared for DIFFICULT gems! I made it too easy on you this time!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
That #3 was a doozy.  I guessed because I didn't really think that apatite was rare, but hey, the boy wants his breakfast!

Apatite as a mineral is not rare, but in gem grade it is incredibly uncommon. There was commercial mining of it around 15 years ago but even then large stones were quite uncommon. Most examples are in the 1 carat range and are so riddled with inclusions that they look to have been run over with a car.

The stone pictured above is in excess of ten carats!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#25]
congrats , Daydreamer!  Very nice!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#26]
congrats daydreamer. I had fun with it even though I didn't win. My google search weakness was made stronger this morning.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#27]
This was so much fun!  More.  More. More.  I, too, am a google freak, MrsGungho... and an early riser.  This was so much fun. Thank you, Hatebreed.  

[ETA:  I said that twice, about being fun... um, well I'll make it an uneven three... "This was so much fun!"]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#29]
congrats daydreamer

btw, yes, you are both older than me    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top